Zeke on Doug Brown's show last night

Is there any trade that O'Billovich could make that would upset you?? Besides a Printers trade of course.

This trade is equally as bad as (or worse than) the Flick trade and people continue to defend it while still lamenting the Flick trade.

If 7 tackles is losing a step, I’ll take it. He leads the league in tackles and he still has a LOT of football left in him.

I hope this doesn’t come off the wrong way but, while I’ll never question your enthusiasm about the Tiger-Cats Borehamgirl, I do question why you think your ability to assess trades and player talent is superior to Obie’s.

Obviously there are reasons why players get traded, but you have to look at the big picture. Nobody talks about the great job that Obie did by bringing in Knowlton on draft day. I just trust Obie’s eye for talent a little more than the eyes on this forum.

Chris Thompson was a good find too...via the trade.

I appreciate that, but I really don’t think it takes much to realize that this trade is lop-sided to say the very least. Especially if the team really does think that we can still make the playoffs. I just think it’s counter-productive to dismantle an all-star linebacking corps and really get nothing tangible in return.

I don’t deny that O’Billovich has brought in some good players and of course Knowlton is one of them. Thompson is another one and there are others. My frustration is that rather than keeping our strengths and adding to them, he has moved both of the great LBs we had last year via trade or just letting them walk and that has made our defense worse this year.

Put me down as one of those that thinks Zeke has lost a step, and that replacing him with Anthony will not make our defence appreciably worse.

Other than the pick in the Winnipeg game, I cannot recall Zeke make any big plays for us at all this year.

Sure he has lots of tackles, but that's to be expected from a bad defence that spends too much time on the field.

I'm not saying that he's not a good player. I think he is. And yes, he's very likeable and easy to cheer for. I just don't think he's as good as some think.

And given some time, this just may turn out to be a trade that Obie wins.

I dont think we are any worse off without Zeke but that is strictly because of the system. Zeke is a better player in terms of ability but Anthony might work out just as well or maybe better than Zeke in the system. Quite honestly, I think the defence had their best game of the season (or the last few seasons) against Edm.

I have to agree some of use are getting confussed between player and fan loyalty and sound decision making. Moreno has almost stated that he knows more than the defensive coordinator. Not too smart on his part to be vocal about your boss. Secondly, Moreno has in my opinion "lost a step" and will look fairly good with support of the Doug Brown's. I can't believe they actually made a helmut that big. I alos believe Anthony has showed the same or if not more than Zeke in his first game at MLB.

Also be very sure of this fact Obie knows more about talent and making deals that we could ever imagine. We are just Armchair quarterbacks who regulary get confused over loyalty and sound buisness decisions.

Will Moreno even make the Bombers next year with Simpson coming back from injury?

Would he have made the Ticats with the new talent Obie is inevitably going to bring in?

The guys who run the team now know what they are doing, and do things with a long-view in mind.

I forgot to mention Tom Canada did not have a spleen problem is more like a SPINE problem. Kind of hard to hold yourself together without one. Just a fine exmple of the supreme Pantload of a person he is. We need football players not Pantloads without any nards.

The first time we played Edmonton we lost a close, yet boring game.

The second time we played Edmonton we lost a close, yet exciting game.

If we're going to lose anyway at least make it interesting. Perhaps the Moreno trade accomplished that.

Here is what I understand was to be the original trade:

Canada and rights to Cory Mace to Hamilton. Moreno and a conditional pick to Winnipeg

When it was determined that Canada was injured, the deal was then changed to the following:

First round pick and rights to Cory Mace to Hamilton. Moreno and a conditional pick to Winnipeg

One can certainly make an argument either way on the merits of the original trade but I don't think anyone can argue that Hamilton was shafted by the way this turned out.

Please correct my understanding of the original trade if I am wrong.

As for the Bombers and next year, they will not be able to keep all of Simpson, Moreno, Lobendahn (who looked good in place of Simpson) Canada and Ellis. They were very tight to the cap this year and only the 9 game injury list will save them from going over the cap. Stegall will retire and save them some cap room but my guess is that Simpson and Canada may both be moved if Moreno and Ellis perform well for the rest of the year.

So is everyone OK with Tom Canada being traded to the Argos before the start of next year? :?

Here's a video with Tom Canada's take on the trade. He definitely agrees that the Bombers came out on top.

[url=http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1529573193?bctid=1799147678]http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 1799147678[/url]

why do people defend or discus the trade as if it was zeke for anthony? he wasnt in the deal was he? I was away and missed the trade but i thought it was for a draft choice and a buffalo bill. I am sure zeke could have gotten a better return than that, like say…a player the cats can use right away?

When Canada supposedly came up lame, the Cats should have insisted that he still be part of the trade. So what if he can’t join the Cats until 2009. Neither can the draft pick they took instead.

Extremely dumb move by Obie. This one one is certifiable.

An Argo-Cat fan

Good point.

The Beet is dead on, this is not the first time that the team puts its feelers out with this type of missdirection. Nothing prevented the Ticats to add Anthony to their roster without trading Moreno.

They pulled the same stunt when Armour was not offered a contract and tried to make it sound like they chose between Armour and Knowlton.

Fun and Games.

Man this is the first time I hear a guy say the team that traded for him got fleeced. I’m sure this is a first.

I think Anthony comes up because of Obie’s comments about going for the playoffs right now, and the trade does not bring someone back to Hamilton right away.

What having Anthony supposedly does is not affect the MLB position in a way that hurts the playoff run.

So, having Anthony and trading Zeke away does not affect the playoff hunt, and the drat pick and Corey Mace are young players that’ll help the team down the road.

The remaining games should provide an indication of what kind of MLB Anthony is.

Simpson's contract is up at the end of the season. It appears that Winnipeg was not going to offer him a new contract.

Berry said yesterday on his show that he can't wait for Canada to come back and that he wants him with the team NOW (Meaning supporting his teammates even if he can't play).

So, having Anthony and trading Zeke away does not affect the playoff hunt, and the drat pick and Corey Mace are young players that'll help the team down the road.
Yes it does because you do not have the player you traded for to fill a glaring need. Further, you strengthened one of the teams you need to beat for a playoff spot, a team you play two more times. Add in the fact that Winnipeg signed Kai Ellis at almost the same time, in effect replacing both their injured players (Lobendahn and Canada) and giving up nothing off their roster.

Again Cory Mace for the conditional pick was always part of the deal (unless I am mistaken). The draft pick may turn into a good player but that is far from certain.

When Obie learned Canada was ill, Winnipeg says they offered another starter. Why didnt Obie ask for Gavin Walls?

Also, I thought that trade deals usually had a caveat "subject to the player passing a physical" (which Canada wouldnt have - then the trade is off)

A lot of questions will remain on this trade. IMO, it was a rushed deal done without due diligence by Obie and his staff.

You think? :thup: