Zeke Moreno

I noticed on the Buffalo Bills website that our friend Zeke had a private workout for their coaching staff last month. There was nothing to indicate whether or not he made an impression on the Bills' staff, but it appears that Zeke and his agent are trying to find employment south of the border. The team in blue could be losing their second MLB in 2 years.

:lol:

The Argos let Moreno go back in February around the same time they released Joseph and Pickett. I hope Zeke catches on in some way with an NFL team.

Agreed. Hopefully he can catch on in some capacity, even in a special teams role.

Gargoyle:

That's what I'm hoping too. Special teams player, emergency linebacker type of thing. He might need time on a roster for some kind of NFL pension down the line as well.

Heard somewhere he was trying to catch on as a long snapper.

He's too slow for the NFL

My sentiments exactly. I thought he was too slow for the CFL – maybe a smaller field would help. And, I really didn’t like how he left here. I thought he wanted to be part of the solution – then ended up holding the team over a barrell when he wanted out.

I don’t remember all the deets, but I got the impression that things could’ve been done more honourably.

Not sure if he’s too slow, the NFL’s dramatically slower.We go for the speed demons, they go for the bigger slower guys.

He is trying to catch on to an NFL team as a long snapper.

There are no speed requirements at that position.

The key detail that seems to have slipped your mind is that he was traded.

You are joking, right? Not saying speed is not important up here but it’s equally important, probably moreso, in the NFL, and has been for years. The idea that the NFL is all about size and the CFL is all about speed went out the window when NFL teams started building high-powered, creative passing attacks. Probably started with the early 1980s 49ers and now it’s rampant throughout the league.

He is trying out as a Longsnaper and Backup LB

It’s true, how often do you see them sign or draft WR’s with speed?Most of them are big guys with big hands.Not to mention our LB’s are around 190+ LB’s and their’s are 240+.In the NFL they believe in gargantua players that you can’t miss on a pass or run around to avoid a tackle are the way to go.In the CFL we take very quick guys as we pass ALOT more and for that you need quicker DB’s and WR’s.The No Fun League runs way too much, it’s so boring.

I personally find the entire look of how the NFL game comes across as slow but not sure if this is just the game itself or the smaller field or perhaps the players play in smaller areas of responsibility because of the field etc. The players, as a general rule, look slower in the NFL to me and yet I know with their 40 yard times and that they aren't and are faster in some cases. I'm not sure what it is exactly about the NFL game that makes it come across, generally, like that to me. :?

I know he was traded, but I thought it was a trade demand that forced the Cats to deal for…dammit - name escapes me. But the guy we traded for ended up not reporting. So the net-net of it was that we had to give away our defensive captain. Does that ring a bell, or am I totally way off??

Not quite.

Cats received the rights to Corey Mace for Moreno; then later flipped those rights to Toronto for Arland Bruce.

So the net of it is Moreno for Bruce.

Not too shabby a deal now in hindsight.

Um, only all the time.

Might have been that way at one time, but not any more. In 2009, the average NFL team had 28 rushes per game and 34 pass attempts per game. The average CFL team had 19 rushes and 34 pass attempts. So the ratio is higher in the CFL, but the NFL has more offensive plays and an equal number of pass attempts.

I love the CFL, too, but the NFL as a whole is not boring. There are some bad games every week (as you’d expect in a league that big) but there are also sensational games – and plays – every week.

Darius Heyward Bey was drafted by the Raiders with the 7th pick last year strictly because he rana 4.38 40 yard dash. The better WR Michael Crabtree fell to the 49ers at 10 because he had a stress fracture during the offseason and couldn’t run a 40 yard dash for scouts. 40 times during the combine and pro days are what make 2nd rd picks 1st rd picks.

The NFL wants big and fast, now I know Moreno could play in the nfl, it’s just that no one will touch him because of his age and speed (unless it’s as a long snapper only)

I think the main diff in skill requirements from our league and the nfl more has to do with agility and our players are conditioned differently. They have to be able to run sideline to sideline on a much wider field, I remember Sudsy talking about how NFL linemen just arent conditioned to handle chasing down qb’s or screens on the wider field.

Darius Heyward Bey was drafted by the Raiders with the 7th pick last year strictly because he rana 4.38 40 yard dash. The better WR Michael Crabtree fell to the 49ers at 10 because he had a stress fracture during the offseason and couldn’t run a 40 yard dash for scouts. 40 times during the combine and pro days are what make 2nd rd picks 1st rd picks.
[/quote]
Actually 40 times only matter to Al Davis, Bey had 7 catches last year and lots of other teams addmitted they would not have touched Bey till the 3rd or 4th rounds, I think the next team that wanted Bey would have waited till the second round to grab him. Just a brutal choice. It’s like when Tillman passed on Clermont and drafted a fullback who was a lifetime backup because he had a better 40 time.