Zach Collaros to Start for Winnipeg

Let’s hope we can beat the home team if the Stamps sneak into the GC - in Calgary!

Haven’t beat the stamps in Calgary since Burris was their QB about a dacade ago. So its about time!

Interesting that this time Suitor blamed Zach for not sliding fast enough.

Some random Collaros thoughts:

• That scramble & TD pass was as good a play as you’ll see a QB make this year, and equal to Peak Zach of several years ago.

• Collaros driving the ball downfield for Medlock to kick the winning field goal. Something many of us probably thought we’d hear for many more years than we did. Although I can’t recall how often it actually happened back in the day since we were often too far ahead to even need a winning FG.

• Zach just bought himself another season in the CFL, and perhaps $50-100k more than he might have been able to negotiate. Still TBD whether anyone will gamble on him as a starter. But if he is a back-up, you couldn’t ask for much more.

• Streveler and Nichols didn’t look like they were enjoying the Collaros coming-out party as much as some of their teammates.

• The whole TSN panel was certain that Zach would be starting in the playoffs, and that Streveler would also see time. Zach even got praise from Burris, who didn’t even rank him among the top 9 QBs in the league at the start of 2018.

• I might even be able to cheer for WPG in the playoffs now. It may be better than just hating all the Western teams like I usually do.

• That was a pretty hard hit Zach took on his almost-but-not-quite-slide. It was legal since it was shoulder pad-to-helmet, but I’m thinking that McManis fellow put a bit of extra oomph into it because it was the QB than he would have for a normal running back tackle.

• When we had Zach and Jeremiah as our QBs, I think it was the best-looking 1-2 QB tandem in the CFL. (As in their faces, not their playing.) Some of those buggers are not much to look at, like the guy in red tonight.

Was he wrong either time?

No…

Great to see Zach have a great winning fun game !

Love seeing the Stumps lose ,oh ya!, hope the Melon heads finish first and Stumps lose in BC!!!

The similarities between the Simoni hit in game 1 and last night are interesting if not amazing. Just like in game 1, 2 players are breaking to hit Zach, he slides, one stops and the other has a head shot on Zach. Will be interesting to see the league do nothing.

Suitor doesn’t know what he is talking about.
If you watch that play, Zack’s cleats got caught up awkwardly in turf and he thus wasn’t able to get into his slide quickly. Thus he got hit and ohhhh and someone named Simoni didn’t torpedo into him after he was already down!

No! Players are braking to hit QBs.

Last night’s hit was totally unacceptable as well and a result of Zack not getting down fast enough ( I saw his cleats get caught up in turf)
Maybe just maybe the league should do aomething after reviewing that.

My immediate thought, on seeing that play, was that it would be a very interesting comparison, watching video of that hit and the one that put Zach out for most of this year. I think some differences would stand out, but I wonder if they’re really 2-game suspension different?

I think the Simoni hit was head to head …and late. This ine was more shoulder to head and marginally late. But yes, would be interesting to compare in slo mo side to side.

Speaking of shoulder to head hit, my favourite was Bagleton just getting rocked and going helicopter. The bugger still held on to the ball.

Don’t watch too many CFL games outside the cats, that one was very enjoyable…still feel connected to Zach…and what could have been…

Cats should sign Suitor to the practice squad, make him play QB. Let the first team D go to work on him.
;D :stuck_out_tongue:

Take away is… how rather ordinary and occaisonally sloppy CAL looks. Have absolutely no problem with playing them in Cup.

A simple FG and PAT by Parades and Bomber fans would still be screeching for LaPolice s and Osheas head .

Zach is back!!!! :slight_smile:

This is vintage Zach

Was that all-star, Tre Roberson, grandson of the legendary Larry Highbaugh, one of the defenders watching that catch? :wink:

Here is "the hit"

That’s how I see it also. Late and marginally late. A frame by frame comparison might show Simoni launched a couple of milliseconds later.

A real-time enforcement of this type of judgement call would be difficult to implement unless the command centre steps in. The league would need to create some concrete guidelines for a QB protection plan.

Absolutely enjoyed watching Zach have a good game AND stay healthy throughout in spite of that hit. I’ve watched it a few times and it almost looked like McManis was trying to avoid hitting him but it’s hard to tell. I know that Zach did get hit in the head, didn’t think it was helmet to helmet, and it was a bit late but hard for defenders to stop on a dime when they’ve committed to a tackle. Don’t think it was as bad a hit as the Simoni hit but probably should have been flagged. Guess we’ll see if there’s any supplementary discipline for the hit. I think the league has ignored a few instanced where discipline should have been handed out this season - not all of them plays on the field.

While the BBs are mum on who will start the WSF, I won’t be at ALL surprised if it’s Zach!

The Simoni hit Zach had slid, butt hit the ground and literally started “sliding” on the turf. Blow was to the head.

This hit was with Zach trying to juke then awkwardly sticking a knee into the ground. Not sliding and not contact to the head. Based on how they over call everything I can see this getting called, but it’s really not a penalty.

Who cares Zach has turned into a Hank the second give him a handkerchief!! Waaaa!