Zach Collaros signs with Hamiton

...I guess we'll see about that ,considering we now have a changed credible and seasoned coaching staff....It'll be very interesting to see how Ham. fares without Henry..should be a good watch :wink: Burris to be released soon as the papers are already drawn up and he says he'll let everyone know by the end of the day where his destination is... :wink:

Well, if Burris signs with Winnipeg before free agency, that may just entice Willy to stay with the Riders, as he will only be # 2 in no matter where he is. So the Burris and Willy thing is not quite a done deal IMO. On the other hand, Riders are pretty high on Sunseri, so probably not wanting to spend to much for Willy as they feel they don’t really need him, whereas the Bombers would probably covet him a little more so offer a bit more. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It’s not really that surprising when you consider that your team is employing Eric Tilman as a consultant.

Probably was one of the biggest reasons behind his decision, but being coached by Austin and Condell instead of Bellefeuille probably helped nudge him as well. Then there's the current perception of the Bombers organization which is considered a bad circus show, Hamilton considered to be on the rise and coming off of a Grey Cup appearance, with Winnipeg being in full rebuild mode.

Paul Wiecek ?@PaulWiecek 10m
Bombers submitted offer to Collaros on Weds, but never heard much back after that. All the negotiating went on with Hamilton.

Paul Wiecek ?@PaulWiecek 14m
I"m hearing Bombers offer to Collaros was competitive with Hamilton’s, but the QB wanted to remain in S. Ont. to be close to family.

in sask, willy will forever be number 2 behind durant and maybe pushed to number 3 behind sunseri.
in winnipeg, at least he'd be number 2 with light at the end of the tunnel and number 1 within grasp in a short year or two.

This kid is not green, after last year I would call him seasoned.
Anyway he has that special intangible and in a small way the Flutie touch of making something out of nothing and winning.

playing only a hand full of games and being in the league for 2 seasons = seasoned ???

Congratulations Collaros. I hope you do well in almost every game.

I disagree, after the Riders won the Grey Cup the announcers kept saying, Saskatchewan was a team built to win now, Hamilton was built to win in the future, you have a young unheralded defense, probably one of the better receiving corps in the league and a star at runningback, sure the chances of winning GC102 drop a tad but your set for the next 5 years. Burris you were set for the next year and a half at best.

As for Winnipeg they better hope they sign Willy as an understudy, as stated above Burris will get the fans back in the seats but with out a back up/future plan you can forget about long term success in bomberland. all in all I give the Collaros signing an A- he'll have his growing pains but long term this is the best move possible.

I like the move by the Cats but I do think Hank has a couple years left and it will be very interesting to see him perform, he keeps in shape and could be a game changer for a team like the Peg in the short term.

The answer to your question is: Collaros and the Tabbies win more games than the Bombers,and the B.B's win more games than the team from Toronto does.....As a matter of fact,I'll even predict their win totals for 2014

Hamilton...12-6
Winnipeg...9-9
Toronto.....8-10

So remember where you heard it first,and remember this thread and check back on it in about 9 months time!!!! :cowboy:
That's right,call me crazy,call me nuts but Hank will triple the B.B'S win total from last year and have them in contention for the last play-off spot in the West.The Cats will capture 1rst in the East for the first time since "98" and the team from Toronto will be showing everyone why they are the most over-rated team in the CFL and will be life and death to stay ahead of the
expansion R-BACKS in the Eastern Conference.So there ya go!!!! Book it,done deal,and remember to check back around Oct.
so I can either say.....I told you so :cowboy: or ooooopss!!!!!!nevermind!!!!! :wink: :cowboy:

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/30/hamilton-tiger-cats-land-former-argos-qb-zach-collaros]http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/30/ha ... h-collaros[/url]

Zach Collaros pulled no punches in stating his desire to run his own team.

The Doug Flutie-like quarterback with the unorthodox release wasn’t going to sit behind Ricky Ray and wait for the three-time Grey Cup winner to get sidelined with whatever injury in Argoland.

Having tasted success and having earned the right to lead an offence, anyone with half a football brain could see how Collaros and the Argos were no longer tied at the hip.

Once the Argos did the right thing in releasing Collaros earlier this week, speculation began in the CFL as to where the quarterback would one day land, despite the limited options in a league with very few QB holes.

In many ways, Collaros was destined to surface in Hamilton, where the Tiger-Cats have basically spent countless off-seasons chasing high-profiled quarterbacks who haven’t exactly panned out.

Henry Burris gave it his all, sacrificed a lot and took his lumps during his two-year tenure in the Hammer, but the writing was on the wall for Smilin’ Hank way back when initial negotiations to re-sign the veteran proved fruitless.

Oddly enough, it was Burris’ second-half performance against the Argos in the East final that would lead the Ticats to a berth in the Grey Cup on an afternoon at Rogers Centre that pretty much summed up the longtime CFLer.

One minute ineffective, the next so efficient that no defence could stop Burris.

But football is a sport of consistency, continuity and growth.

Above all else, in three-down football it’s an exercise in change and the changing of the quarterback guard in Hamilton speaks well for a franchise that has finally acquired a young QB with an upside so large that it can’t be quantified.

There are so many intangibles Collaros brings to the table, so much optimism and so much that can be achieved, not only in the short term but also in the long term.

In Toronto, he was coached by Scott Milanovich, a one-time quarterback who ran a passing offence that would occasionally use Collaros in certain packages, including goal-line series.

But Toronto was Ray’s team and it will remain Ray’s team until his contract expires following the 2015 season.

The Ticats are now Collaros’ team, a team that will patiently allow him to learn Kent Austin’s offence.

Once a comfort zone is established, and it’ll take time, Collaros has the potential to be an all-star in the CFL and perhaps a most outstanding player candidate.

He’s that good.

The Argos have desperately wanted to groom their own quarterback and Collaros seemed to be the perfect candidate until he was suddenly thrust into the limelight, an opportunity he would seize.

There’s a stable of young arms in Toronto that will complement Ray, but there’s only one Ricky Ray and only one quarterback who is completely in tune with Milanovich’s system.

As well as Collaros played in Ray’s absence, there were periods of futility, moments when poor mechanics and poor decision making led to an inordinate amount of two and outs.

Collaros is not a finished product, but he’s an emerging face and the absolute right quarterback for the Ticats.

Naturally, Collaros was linked to Winnipeg, but the Blue Bombers have some baggage, real and perceived, that needs to cleaned up and there was simply too much noise around the franchise that made it virtually impossible for Collaros to head to the Peg.

In Mike O’Shea, the Blue Bombers have a young head coach who will demand a lot and expect a lot, but his background is on defence, his coaching experience confined to special teams.

Austin is much more accomplished, much more experienced and his understanding of the quarterback position is why Hamilton’s signing of Collaros makes so much sense that it was almost predictable.

Collaros will be close to his Ohio roots, will be given every chance to learn the Ticat way and once he figures it out, the franchise will be competitive for the foreseeable future.

As Hamilton proved last season, much like Toronto showed the previous year, it’s not how one starts but how one finishes.

Expect Collaros to struggle early as he adjusts to a new environment and system. But no one works harder and no one figures to be impactful late in the coming season than Collaros.

The sample size is small, but each time Collaros took a snap from scrimmage there was always the potential of a big play unfolding.

He can improvise, has a good arm, but more than anything Collaros is a winner and a natural-born leader.

No player is as competitive and there’s no telling what awaits in the Hammer with Collaros now established as the incumbent.

He’ll be able to play through mistakes, take every first-team rep in practice and be the centre-piece of a franchise that will soon move into new digs.

In many ways, the Collaros-Ticat marriage is the perfect match, adding a new layer to the Toronto-Hamilton rivalry, two teams that could meet yet again in the East final for the second year in a row, which is unheard of in these parts.

The Ticats have scheduled a press conference on Friday to unveil Collaros, but those close to the scene have known it was in the cards for months.

There was no chance of Collaros supplanting Ray and no way the Ticats could hitch their football wagon to Burris.

It was with sadness that I watched Zach being interviewed today in the black and gold.
He was ours and one of a few developed over the years.
What a mistake!

This could be the beginning of a great Ticat dynasty in the CFL.

I followed Cincinnati when Zach was there. Callaros is a gamer, and a winner; as you saw glimpses of in Toronto. Good sign by the Ti-Cats.

I look forward to many Troy Smith-Zach Collaros battles in the future. :rockin: Hopefully for years to come.

Wow ! Expectations are a little on the side of crazy hey Earl.

I guess the words "could be" confused you eh?

Nope, no confusion. Even to suggest that at this point is way out there :wink: