Your top six movies of all time

For me the list is as follows:

1. Casablanca (Bogart)

2. The Best Years of Our Lives (Dana Andrews/Fredric March)

3. The Grapes of Wrath (Henry Fonda)

4. Westward the Women (Robert Taylor/John McIntire)

5. Tora Tora Tora (Martin Balsam/So Yamamura)

6. Patton (George C. Scott)

#1.....The Godfather
#2.....The Godfather 2
#3.....Goodfellas
#4.....Saving Private Ryan
#5.....Rain Man
#6.....Falling Down

#1 Goodfellas
#2 Interview With A Vampire
#3 Full Metal Jacket
#4 The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad
#5 King Kong (1933)
#6 The Matrix

1-Patton
2-Ben-Hur
3-Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
4-We were soldiers
5-Star Wars V
6-Robocop 1

1. The Hustler ( Jackie Gleason, Paul Newman)
  2. Shawshank Redemption
  3. Heat
  4. The Town
  5. Saving Private Ryan.
  6. The Rider

Not in any order

Breaking Away 1979
As Good as it Gets 1997
Rocky 1976
Man on Fire 2004
Gladiator 2000
Saving Private Ryan 1998

Not in any order ... the six that spring to mind

Godfather 1
Shawshank Redemption
2001: A Space Odessy
The Usual Suspects
The Dark Knight
The Princess Pride

1 Like

The Mission
Barfly
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Big Night
A Clockwork Orange
Trainspotting

1. Full Metal Jacket
  2. Apocalypse Now
  3. The Shawshank Redemption
  4. Rudy
  5. The Dark Knight
  6. Batman Begins

so many movies. Have trouble remembering most favorites.

Ben Hur (1959) for sure
Silence ot the lambs
In the Line of fire
The Outlaw Josie Wales
The Shawskank Redemption
Star Trek II: The wrath of Khan

That's my Number 1 and one I think has been strangely forgotten by the general public.

It's the only movie I can think of where each and every scene has an underlying meaning and is an emotional punch to the gut.

It contains what I think is the greatest single shot all time. The one where Homer is in the aircraft and just wakes up and is looking ahead to the future. His face shows every emotion, hope, fear and anything else a viewer might read into it. I'll post the photo so people will know what I am talking about but only the moving film does it justice.

I better stop or I'll end up describing every scene because this movie is that good.

Directed by William Wyler, and shot by my number one cinematographer Gregg Toland (Citizen Kane, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Grapes of Wrath, The Long Voyage Home, Wuthering Heights and The Bishop's Wife to name a few) Toland makes brilliant use of his deep focus photography techniques.

Myrna Loy and Frederic March light up the screen together.

You might be interested to know where they found Harold Russell (Homer Parrish)

Didn't see that rip roaring blockbuster classic, The Great Escape here.

At my college, a big group of guys were getting together for our first movie night, all the elements necessary for a big night were purchased (ok, just beer) and I was in charge of getting the movie.

At that time, that consisted of renting a movie player, (not a VCR) but a videodisk (the size of a vinyl record album) and finding whatever movie was available at the rental place. As I had seen it before on TV and it was one of my all time faves, I chose The Great Escape.

From the opening scene and the rousing Elmer Bernstein score, not one word was spoken in the crowd of young college guys. Total silence, they were into this big time. And then came the moment I'll never forget, the movie stopped and was prompting for Disk Two. I didn't know there was a second disk. I faced some pretty severe abuse there but survived enough to get to the video store the next day to get Disk Two.

It went over like the blockbuster it was, I still can't believe that many people didn't utter one word during the viewing, they were pardon the expression, captured.

Thanks Charuk; yes I was well familiar with Homer's real life story. Personally, though, I think the most outstanding actor in that film was Dana Andrews; I believe he should have won the Oscar over Fredric March (no disrespect to F.M.; just I think it is the finest performance Dana ever did).

Now a trivia question for you. Tennessee Ernie Ford is listed in the credits as a "hillbilly singer" but even though I've seen the movie multiple times (and as recently as this past Monday), I can never pick him out. I presume he'd be early in the film when Al Stephenson goes bar hopping with wife and daughter, ending up at Butch's, but I can never see him. I wonder if his scene has been cut by TCM.

1. Dirty Dozen
  2. Schindler's List
  3. Auntie Mame
  4. Sister Kenny
  5. Casablanca
  6. Lord of the Flies

Hon. mentions: His Girl Friday, Vertigo, The Green Berets, A Star is Born (Lady Gaga version), Always.

Hi CD..I saw Barfly when it first came out in late 80s. I Just loved it. I watched it again two years ago and I thought it did not age well. Mickey Rourke was too over the top for me. Have you watched it lately? Did it stand up for you?

I was going to post the same thing about Dana Andrews, it was the performance of a lifetime for him although I'm not sure I'd have given the Oscar to him over March. Frankly the whole cast should have got one. From Teresa Wright (who became a favourite of mine) after this film to Fred Derry's parents who go from literal wrong side of the track losers to humbly proud parent/step parent.

Some interesting cameos: Gene Krupa, directors John Derek and Leo Penn (Sean's father). As for Ernie Ford, the guy who makes his bowtie go up and down might be him, he has a similar mustache, but it looks like he has a cleft chin, which I can't see in any pictures of TEF.

I don't know how well this film would hold up for someone seeing it for the first time today but it's still far and away my number one.

[quote="Charukfan] As for Ernie Ford, the guy who makes his bowtie go up and down might be him, he has a similar mustache, but it looks like he has a cleft chin, which I can't see in any pictures of TEF.
[/quote]

I had often thought that too, but it doesn't really have all that much resemblance, and that person isn't singing, just playing guitar, and Ford is listed as "hillybilly singer".

Just watched The Two Popes on Netflix a couple of months back. Gets some great reviews and two of the best performances and writing I've seen in a while. Anthony Hopkins as Benedict and Jonathan Pryce as Francis have you believing they are the real Popes, even with scenes of the real Popes interspersed.

A fantastic script as well, it would have very easy to portray Benedict as the bad guy and Francis as the good guy but writer Anthony McCarten manages to turn Benedict into a sympathetic figure as the film advances. The final scene watching the World Cup is a gem as the viewer comes to really like Benedict. Hopkins does a masterful job playing old.

Two Popes is a fantastic movie. It should really be on my list.

Often times people are credited with character names that are never mentioned in the film.

My whole life has involved communications, media and the teaching and study of it since I was a toddler (that's another story). If there are two things I think I could teach a course in and have people benefit from the knowledge, one would be a study of TBYOOL and the other the original news coverage of the Kennedy Assassination. You could probably learn everything you need to know about making film and covering news from just those two subjects.