Your favorite offensive play to watch

What offensive play do you enjoy watching? Doesn't have to be something your team does.

For me, I really enjoy a well-executed RB screen, mainly because it's a play that looks like it's going to collapse into a hot mess until the RB catches that gently floating ball and starts to run behind enemy lines.

I also enjoy watching a QB read hot at the line and throw a quick slant or in to beat a blitzing defense in the vacated middle of the field. It takes nerves to pull it off.

What about you?

1 Like

Quarterback draw.

1 Like

I used to love when Flutie was QB for the Argos and they'd run option plays with Robert Drummond as an outlet for a shovel or flick pass. Those plays wrought havoc among the opposing D's.

1 Like

That’s actually a tough question. I like the screen pass you cite and a slant and always enjoy a well executed bomb that the receiver catches in stride. A well executed flea flicker, direct snap or other gadget play is usually exciting, but pretty rare. I know I don’t find QB sneaks exciting.

I would have to say that my favourite offensive play to watch is actually a defensive play, namely when a pass rusher cranks the QB and causes a fumble. The scramble for the ball can be very entertaining as well. I used to also like watching a wide receiver catching a pass on a crossing pattern and immediately getting smoked by a defender, but this is now illegal although it does still occur at times.

And this is not because I am a sadist. I just enjoy the nature of a good clean hard hit in the roughest team sport and the fact that the person hit more often than not gets back up. And without whining. This to me is the essence of football. Unlike the pussies in hockey where the rule is now that no clean hit should go unpunished.

1 Like

Not a fan of cheap shots but that taunting Argo sure deserved it in the second clip. No need for any flags. They’re even.

2 Likes

My fav offensive plays are the ones that are successful, my least fav are the ones that aren't. :smiley:

Would a safety count as an offensive play? I do love those!

1 Like

I still remember that play where Kerwin rang his own Bell, so to speak. He didn't need to be knocked down; he did that to himself.

1 Like

I remember Kerwin well. Not the most talented QB ever but definitely the toughest I’ve ever seen. He played on some pretty poor Bomber teams and would get throttled game after game but always got up.

@BigDave
"I still remember that play where Kerwin rang his own Bell, so to speak. He didn't need to be knocked down; he did that to himself."

:rofl:

Also, who doesn't like a north-south RB rumbling for a huge gain, preferably while shaking off defenders with stiff-arms? I'm thinking specifically of Marshawn Lynch in an NFL playoff game a few years (Beast mode), but I'm sure there are CFL equivalents.

1 Like

The Hail Mary to win or tie in the end zone for a TD is the most exciting to watch for me .

On any given regular play I can't really say . I just want to see the plays well executed at whatever level . I like a good run as much as great circus catch .

1 Like

I like a cross pattern about 15 - 20 yards with a perfect bullet pass caught in full stride followed by good yac yards.

1 Like

I dunno...I remember this play as well and my memories were more along the lines of "serves that guy right". He did some decent stuff here, but can't remember why many of us were glad he was gone....then this game where he really wanted to rub it in to the fans/team, but ending up rubbing himself out!

1 Like

Best stiff arm in the CFL is Harris, but Henry does it better than Lynch ever did! I'd say that Stanback is more the powerful North/South runner, but I love a slasher too.

1 Like

Trick plays like the flea flicker or the hook and ladder

2 Likes

Not a specific play per se, but I always liked it when offenses employed two RBs: a scat back who could find holes running east-west and a larger FB type to pound the ball north-south.

The Lions duo of Millington and Philpott comes to mind. Pinball and Robert Drummond for the Argos is another.

1 Like

Angelo Santucci and Jim Germany .

2 of the best were Charlie Roberts & Mike Sellers.

3 Likes

Oh boy, Roberts at his peak was a joy to watch. Sellers was the perfect gritty complement to Roberts's scatback game.