Your favorite defensive play to watch

Couldn't let the offensive players hog all the glory, right? :slight_smile:

One of my favorite defensive plays is less a play than a series of plays and a mentality. I love watching the game within the game, in this instance, a veteran cornerback baiting a young QB and receiver by giving said receiver a generous bubble on one or two completions to the field side. And then, when the QB makes that sideline throw one more time ... BAM! Cornerback breaks on the ball for a pick-six.

Taking QBs and receivers to the woodshed, one interception at a time. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

When a punter makes a Td saving tackle.

2 Likes

Can’t decide between two.

Either a great bullrush by a DL where he overpowers a usually bigger OL, or any great one on one open field tackle.

2 Likes

Interesting edge case -- a defensive play happening on special teams!

I like it when a defense knows that an offense is going to hot route against their blitz and so pass drops and end into the spot of the hot route.

Gascon-Nadon may have dropped the ball but Steinauer had Burris dead to rights. That was an absolutely beautiful play call.

1 Like

I think you have to allow those, as there were also some offensive plays involving the punter on your previous topic.

1 Like

Ah yes, that's the beautiful chess match happening in the seconds before the ball is snapped. Love it.

Reminds me of those years when Peyton Manning would face the Ray Lewis-led Ravens defense and the audibling happening at the line was BANANAS.

Grudgingly. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Seeing a D End use his quickness to get around the Tackle and strip the ball out of the QB’s hands from the backside.

2 Likes

Cameron Wake was a beast at this.

1 Like

One of the best ever. Remember also watching masters like Covington, “Quick” Parker, Montford, Elfrid Payton, etc. So many good ones over the years.

1 Like

I wasn't around for Covington or Parker, but Montford! Holy heck, that guy was like a videogame character in his prime. Payton was a beast too.

pick six for me, all the way :slight_smile:

it was my favorite play to make when playing and oh how I miss it. I remember my last one like it was yesterday. It is a thrill doing it and a thrill watching it

A great circus interception for me .

In the CFL my first DB I always liked was Larry Highbaugh of the esks growing up . Very versatile and could close in so quick .

At safety In The NFL Troy Polamalu was the ultimate defender . He covered the entire field like no other .

1 Like

I love it when any DB makes an interception and then the entire D goes crazy with ad libbed laterals trying to get more yards.

1 Like

3rd down stop followed by the measurement.

When the measurement is short the D all sprint off the field pointing the other way.

1 Like

Stuffing the RB at the line or even in the backfield. An "in your face" moment.

1 Like

Games featuring an all-star RB vs an all-star LB are great fun.

Alondra Johnson trying to shut down Mike Pringle was compelling stuff.

2 Likes

Great example!

Without a doubt, a pick-six is the most exciting to watch, because of the sudden turn-around.
Second favourite is a sack or a tackle for a loss.
And a pass getting batted down at the line is fun too.

Needless to say, these don't apply when my team is the victim.

1 Like