Young ok's Longwood - Aberdeen

ron:

You mystify me Ron.
"Stupid" doesn't come anywhere close to what YOU have called him over the past months Ron so consider yourself well and truly in the class of "Fred haters". Stupid is what I called his stand only recently.
My criticism is over what he has done ...not personal attacks and vilification for months as you have resorted to so often. :roll:

Prove it!

Give it a rest. You are making yourself look like a fool…especially after your previous two recent responses to me.

The WH is off the table. The City Manager said he won’t even discuss it with the TiCats. All that happened in Chambers today was posturing and saving face. By not officially taking it off the table the Mayor can still look like a hero to all the WH wackos while not looking like a complete fool to the rest of the electorate by doing a snap 180 degree turn. His attitude was completely different today sounding like someone who is reasonable and willing to negotiate in everyone’s best interests. Somebody with clout woke him up and now he’s trying to slither to a respectable position.

Ockham is 1000% right.

One thing that should hopefully save a big cost will be the videoboard. Surely that nice big one from IWS can be moved to a new stadium site?

Fred is presenting a front to the public,

he doesn’t mean one positive word
that he is saying about Bob Young

or all the other positive things he is saying
about the sorry situation we have arrived at

after four extensions of the deadline.

Fred is trying to repair the damage
he has done to his own reputation.

It sure is not working with me.

I hope I can get to see them lift it by helicopter and/or install it this time. I couldn’t make it when they dropped it into place.

Not sure if anyone has answered or asked this question yet but is Mcmaster willing to give up the land at the longwood site for the Tiger Cats to use?

Can the videoboard fly to Moncton or QC? :wink:

Or maybe London to TD Waterhouse if the TigerCats go down the tubes, god forbid but you never know, but the Stangs might want it. :wink:

Or to York University come to think of it.

meaker, Marvin Ryder was just on CH and couldn't answer that question as he's not an administrator there.

That will be part of the negotiations over the next two weeks. According to Councillor Ferguson, his contacts say Mac is willing to “help out”. But Councillor McHattie says his Mac sources tell him Mac does not want the stadium there. Stay tuned.

In Moncton, it will become the Irving Gas Tigervision.
In London, it will become the Labatts Tigervision.
At York University, it will become the ??? Tigervision

Mac trading its Aberdeen property for a big chunk of the West Harbour is brilliant. An office building at the Rheem site would attract restaurants and other tertiary businesses. You might even see a connection between the downtown and the new development. That would help the West Harbour/North End area much more than a ten event per year football stadium.

If the Tiger Cats are onside with this location, then I can live with it, but I have to tell you that IMO the EM site is by far the best location for this cIty. It will offer the Tiger Cats a whole new crop of fans - it offers easy access from anywhere in the city. Everyone is on board with this site. The costs will be less than the WH site. Any lost development charges are made up by the lower construction costs and the 15M from the Tiger Cats. Plus, they will get expanded development around the entire EM. Families will start attending games again - this is what the City needs. The one bright spot downtown is the Innovation Park - why take potential high paying research jobs away by building a stadium there. Also, the location is hemmed in pretty tight there. I just don't get why Mayor Fred is so opposed to the EM site - I really think it has something with Brad Clark pushing so hard for that site.

I don't know if anyone has discussed this much but we all know that Mac has a sweet 5000 seat stadium. Hmm. I wonder if at least some of the powers that be are speaking with the admin. at Mac to use their stadium for some of our Pan Am soccer games in exchange for some help with the Rheem site particularly given the timing necessary to build a new stadium? In exchange Mac also could get to build some student housing on the Rheem site in a joint venture with the city.

So what would that mean for the Ti-Cats? Simple, Mac cuts a deal for the new Longwood site, which will include state of the art high-level sports development and research controlled by Mac. The Cats get the stadium they are looking for and access to the other facilities and the city gets to save face and claim the high ground as two brown fields get cleaned up, the Cats stay in a new stadium and Mac builds new research facilities on one site and student dorms in the West Harbour, throw in some housing perhaps for Mohawk. Add the new cafe's, clubs, condos etc... and the downtown gets the refresh the supporters really wanted.

They city could, and given the current egos involved probably would, maintain the operating rights at the new stadium. I would prefer Bob's team managing the stadium as a private venture but who really knows how all that would go. The naming rights are also a wild card.

Would the feds and prov. still give money for the stadium? I think they certainly would for a number of reasons. One the stadium could still be used for the opening and closing of the games, the playoff rounds and championship of the soccer and it meets the legacy component, not to mention cleans up directly and indirectly two brownfields.

My two cents,

Rev.

City, Cats must deal with Mac

University willing to listen, but says it has plans for proposed site

[url=http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/252796--city-cats-must-deal-with-mac]http://www.thespec.com/news/local/artic ... l-with-mac[/url]

THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR

Wade Hemsworth Sept. 1 2010

... McMaster is ready to work with the city, but also made it clear

the university already has plans for the site.

"We’re happy to sit down with them and find out more

about what their ideas are, and then balance those off

with the intentions and goals of MIP," she said.

“We don’t have enough information right now.”

…the parcel about to come under examination –

the warehouse and parking lots on the west side
of the road [Longwood Rd.] overlooking Highway 403

– is important to the larger, integrated plan for the park.

… 50,000 square feet [of the warehouse] is going toward
[b]a new automotive resource centre planned for opening in 2011.

In May, McMaster announced it had recruited

an international star in hybrid engine research, Ali Emadi,

to lead a new lab to anchor the centre.[/b]

The park’s mission is for partners in education, government and
private business to turn research into commercial products and services.

The property in question:

Roughly half the 37-acre McMaster Innovation Park,
on the west side of Longwood Road South,

between Hwy. 403 and Aberdeen Avenue.

Former use: appliance warehouse, shipping
depot and employee parking lot.

Interim use: private-industry

steel storage, trade shows and parking.

McMaster’s current plans: Renovate one third
of the 150,000 square-foot building

to accommodate a $30-million automotive
resource centre that would open in 2011.

McMaster is waiting to hear back on
grant requests for renovation funding.

Two weeks to hash out stadium site

John Kernaghan Wed Sep 01 2010

The Hamilton Spectator

[url=http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/252780--two-weeks-to-hash-out-stadium-site]http://www.thespec.com/news/local/artic ... adium-site[/url]
The McMaster Innovation Park at Aberdeen Avenue and Longwood leads a potential list of other "mutually-agreeable" sites

on the table with a mid-September deadline set
by the Toronto 2015 host corporation,

likely the final of a string of finish lines dating back to May.

Thank God for that!

the trick will be to somehow keep the revenue-generating aspect

of the Innovation Park while finding room for a stadium
and the parking the football club needs for its business model.

[b]That could include land swaps [/b] that keep the integrity of the innovation and incubator concept intact, or even improve it, Murray said.

“[b]The order of the process, I think, will be satisfying
the Ticats first, then McMaster, then site logistics,”

said the city’s Pan Am lead hand, David Adames.[/b]

“That includes parking, access and site conditions
as this is a brownfield site. What’s under the ground?”

Councillor Lloyd Ferguson...called on Murray's team to simultaneously study how to get public and private

investment in the west harbour area.

The potential next stage in its development
was introduced by [b]Forum Equity Partners Inc.

President Richard Abboud called Hamilton

the “sleeper” in southern Ontario development
and said if a few problems could be addressed,
[/b]
the west harbour was a “great waterfront location.”

He told council superstar architect
Frank Gehry has looked at the site

and would be interested in designing an

“iconic” building to show the new Hamilton.

P.S.

Despite the opinions of people who can’t grasp the fact
that those of us who don’t want a stadium down there

I think it is essential to stimulate that area economically.

IMO, one use for the Rheem site’s should be
a small amphitheatre for music concerts

to tie in with the James North art’s community,

A small ampitheatre as you say ron would be fantastic for the WH area feeding well with the James St. N. art community as you say. I can envision plaques by the sidewalks from James St. N to the WH ampitheatre showing the history of music, art and theatre in Hamilton from earliest days to present and photos of some acts that have come from local to afar and have extended art crawls etc. High school music and theatre groups could perfomr there and practice and we could have regional art and theatre combines if you will, celebrations. I mean it would be absolutely wonderful I think. It gives me goosebumps thinking about it actually and I’m more of a sports guy than an artistic sort I would say but appreciate the arts immensely and have always felt they have been underserved in relation to the more mass appeal of sport.

I'm not totally sold on this Longwood site.........for many reasons.

I'd like to see the East Mountain seriously back in the mix

2 weeks to get a deal struck between Mac and the city and the TigerCats? I can't see it and therefore I have to think that the EM is the only logical site with so little time and this has already been studied somewhat and brought forward by the facilitator.

That is if the city really does want a full fledged stadium in the first place using FF money for a non-WH site. And that is a big question mark as well.