XFL suspending 2020 season due to coronavirus

The XFL has returned season ticket money remaining for 2020 and deposits for 2021 .
ESPN reported that the league "currently has no plans to return" in 2021.

Pat Lynch (the person of many years)

Rumors have the NFL starting later and NCAA football perhaps using a spring schedule. It’d be suicide to try and compete with them. Either way I think it’ll be a few months before Vince officially folds the league. May as well see how the next 3-6 months play out. Not like he’s losing any money on it at the moment

You made it back! Took even longer than me. :sweat_smile:

TSN reported that the XFL has filed for bankruptcy.

https://www.tsn.ca/xfl2-we-hardly-knew-you-1.1465779

No one is getting rich in the CFL, but at least our league has stability. I tend to be unsympathetic to CFL players/coaches who jump at the chance to join these new leagues thinking that the grass will be greener.

The grass is never greener. Like, ever. They all fail. Every single one of them. It's just a question of when.

Playing in the second-best professional football league is not such a horrible fate.

5 Likes

" HEAR … HERE " :football: !!!

A lot of the CFL players tried the XFL because they’re American and the salary was similar, so why not play closer to home for the same money.

1 Like

A part of the shutdown was Vince (about 75% owner) and the WWE (about 25%) taking financial hits to their net worth in recent months ... XFL was no longer just a gamble, it was draining valuable resources and the three year plan was no longer sustainable ... new money might well be interested, especially if they get all the assets (including President/Commissioner Luck, who apparently did a ton of heavy lifting) and infrastructure ... the article speaks of some sort of NFL linkage (maybe possible with someone other than Vince owning it) ... which would obviously be a huge help.

The NFL already has a free feeder system . It’s called the NCAA. I can’t imagine NFL owners wanting to see their revenue shares drop, in order to support a spring league .

Pat Lynch (the elderly dude)

True, although who knows how NCAA will fare post Covid-19 ... IMO football will be the last victim of any cutbacks at DI schools... but it could impact lower levels

But it is important to note that the suggested "feeder league" idea is intended for post-NCAA players who need further development ... of course it depends on the NFL having any interest ...

The NFL will never have a problem finding players. Makes zero sense for them to fund any sort of feeder league. They have the NCAA as noted, the CFL, and a gazillion undrafted free agents that are going to work their behinds off to get to the NFL.

Cant imagine in this climate them funding anything.

1 Like

And now this!
Thing I didn't know,
Ex-XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck is Ex-Colts QB Andrew Luck's father.

Quick! Someone tell Rod Black. . .