XFL/NFL Partnership Agreement

1 Like

sweet.

will this stop all the silly CFL/XFL partnership talks?

3 Likes

The XFL and/or the USFL will become farm leagues for the NFL if they want to survive. The XFL making this move has a leg up, but they could both do this.

This doesn't change too much for the CFL. The main thing it would do is kill all this pointless talk of CFL expanding to the US. If America becomes saturated with American football then there will be no room at all for Canadian football there. It will thin the talent in the CFL somewhat but we won't notice a difference. We didn't when the USFL started in '83 and we didn't when the WLAF started in '91. There are a ton of players out there churned out and dumped by the NCAA every year and they can all throw kick catch block and tackle.

1 Like

The NFL-XFL agreement will give the NFL a "petri dish" to experiment with proposed rules, test new equipment and develop prospective officials and coaches, XFL president Russ Brandon told ESPN.

This may be related to "Brian Flores sues NFL and three teams for racial discrimination.

1 Like

Hopefully it does but then Farhan and Naylor lose their main reason for reporting on the CFL.

For them the CFL/XFL needs to stay alive so they can stay relevant :rofl::joy:.

2 Likes

This is a win-win for both leagues. Having the NFL stamp of approval on the XFL venture will give it an heir of legitimacy. The chance to develop NFL caliber coaches, try out new rules, and develop referees will benefit the NFL without covering the excessive costs of running their own developmental league. For the XFL this will lead to some $$$ incentives I'm sure, and more than likely a game or 2 a week on NFL Network. If all 32 NFL teams and the league office wrote out a $300k check, that's $10 million a year for the XFL. That money would basically cover 50-60% of player salaries off the bat, assuming a 45 man roster at $50k a year for 8 teams.

1 Like

Dave Naylor pretty much said months ago that the CFL/XFL talks is a dead issue. Seems like the only people who want to keep bringing up the topic is folks in this forum.

Today's XFL/NFL agreement has no substance. The only reason why the announcement was made is for the XFL to draw attention to themselves as the USFL draft is this week. XFL does not want to be forgotten by the public.

Does the agreement with the NFL give the XFL access to players? No. How about a a big investment? Probably a token amount of money changes hands at best. Will the agreement make the league more watchable? No. Is the agreement even exclusive and binding? No. NFL could make the same deal with the USFL if that is what they want.

But wait, them working together must mean a formal announcement in the future right? Well, the XFL paid a couple bucks to the Spring League to test out their potential rules prior to their 2020 season. What is that relationship now? Spring League does not exist anymore.

1 Like

That won’t stop Flores from continuing his lawsuit against the Shield. Flores is STILL pursuing litigation no matter which NFL team has hired him

1 Like

This is a big deal for the XFL for sure or so it would seem.

1 Like

The NFL has made a deal with the USFL when it allowed one of it’s broadcasters to start up a new spring league.

The Spring League morphed into the USFL since it still retained TSL CEO, Brian Woods to operate the renewed USFL

3 Likes

If I am a startup league and the NFL is dictating who their broadcasters are allowed to carry, I am suing their ass and my star witness will not be an egotistical moron who cannot help but constantly lie whenever he opens his mouth.

Likewise if I am Fox Sports, I am dumping Brian Woods as soon as possible as he has a reputation of not paying his bills.

4 Likes

Is that what I said??

Not specifically. You didn’t include that Flores would still sue the NFL despite being hired by the Steelers as I did.

I made a general comment, an observation, that’s all. No hidden meaning.
Can I have my head back now. Sheesh

1 Like

Ok who took your head and was it put to good use :joy:

1 Like

According to Dave Meltzer, when Vince McMahon considered shutting down the XFL 2.0 for good in 2020, he approached the networks by asking for a right fees to save the league. Networks declined and responded by saying they had a multi-year agreement. McMahon then folded the league.

There is at least one article written that states the timing of the discussion was done before Covid forced the XFL to shut down meaning McMahon wanted to close the league before Covid hit. Meltzer never said or implied that was the case.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean anything harsh towards you. BTW, Flores says he has evidence that he was enticed to tank by the Dolhins

2 Likes

Well maybe this explains the appearance by The Rock before the start of the Super Bowl. It was a tell of sorts, but then again the whole weekend was a Hollywood production too.

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve seen an interview where he states that. Will be interesting going forward.

1 Like

Even though it doesn't include player development, does it strengthen the XFL's position.

How will this affect the CFL?