WPG QB Matt Nichols Injured in practice

Initial reports re: #Bombers QB Matt Nichols, who was helped off the field Wed. after suffering an injury on a non-contact play, aren't great. No word on how serious it is but safe to say team is hoping for the best. "Unbelievable" one team official said.

Nichols went down while backpedalling on a passing play. He was untouched as he fell onto his back. He lay there for a moment, then took off his helmet and threw it in anger.
He got up onto one knee for a few moments before a couple of trainers helped him off the field and into the Bombers locker room.
He was moving gingerly with the help of the trainers, but was at least putting some pressure on both of his legs.

That doesn't sound good for Nichols or the Bombers and by his reaction one could get the impression that he has some idea what the injury might be. He had an ACL injury a few years that put him out of the running for starter in EE and left the field wide open for Reilly to nab the starting QB position.

They sure don't build knees like they used to.

Can anyone remember a single CFL QB going down with an ACL in, say, the entire decade of the 1980s? (Or maybe they just used to tape them up and send them back out there.)

I would wager it's because of athletes being larger, stronger and faster now. While Nichols' injury didn't involve contact - most do.

Guys were smaller and slower back then, but were stronger/tougher men mentally.

Just spit-balling here but if Nichols is out for an extended time and possibly the season might we see a Vernon Adams for Nik Demski trade in the near future ? It could be a win win for both teams when you consider that Chambers is done for the year here and 1rst round draft pick Chapman is M.I.A.
Demski could be the solution to our Cdn ratio starting receiver dilemma .

Adams let's face it will probably not see much of the field here this season unless something drastic happens and he could be an adequate veteran fill in as Nichols replacement as the starting QB in the Peg if indeed Nichols injury is as serious as it apparently looked at the time .

Like I said earlier though just spit-balling . The way ET has been trading lately ,if we do indeed trade Adams to the Peg it will probably be for another couple of 7th and 8th round draft picks in 2025 . ::slight_smile:

Maybe muscles are getting stronger and pushing harder while ligaments stay the same.

Perhaps a Danny McManus - with his, shall we say, relaxed approach to conditioning - would still be among the most durable QBs in the league today.

A big part of Danny's durability was that he typically always had a good offensive line, and wasn't touched as much as other QB's. I think it was either 98 or 99 where he was only sacked 7 times all season.

It may be an Achilles tear if he was simply back peddling. Wasn’t that how Durant injured his a few years ago? No hit or lateral movement, just stepping backward?

It doesn't seem to be about hits any more.

Other than Cassius Vaughn's deliberate effort to injure Toliver last year, a lot of these major injuries have been "non-contact" injuries: Collaros, Fantuz, Durant. The body just seems to give way for no particular reason at a completely random time.

might we see a Vernon Adams for Nik Demski trade in the near future ? It could be a win win for both teams when you consider that Chambers is done for the year here and 1rst round draft pick Chapman is M.I.A. Demski could be the solution to our Cdn ratio starting receiver dilemma .
Demski has 1 year on his contract, he would be 1 and done and back to WPG next year.

WPG has two 1st round picks next year,BC's along with their own

How about Vernon Adams(also on his last year) for the WPG 1st round pick,
It would clear about $100K+ off our Cap

With all due respect to Vernon Adams - no one is ever going to give a 1st round pick for him.

Collaros - an established QB - was traded for a 2nd round pick, and with a massive 400K+ contract attached. Adams has started and won 3 games, but that is by no means established.

Adams would be worth a 4th or 5th round pick tops.

People keep bringing him up in trade ideas. Why is he so unwanted? He's certainly better than Moniz or Evans, so we would be better with Masoli, Manziel and Adams as the 3 roster QB's. Depth is good... so we shouldn't want to squander that.

With all due respect to Vernon Adams - no one is ever going to give a 1st round pick for him.
MTL traded their 1st round pick in 2017 for the rights to Adams to BC, BC picked Vandervoort 1 spot ahead of us. >:(

I wonder what the value of Kevin Glenn is right now?? :wink:

Is it too late for WPG to grovel at the feet of Durant? :o

Wasn't aware of that. Are you sure there wasn't something/someone else included?

Also, he was traded for Hughes, which I had forgotten about. So I guess he has more value than I realized.

Touche, Grover!

Since we have both Masoli and Manziel on multi year contracts,
I cannot see Vernon Adams re-signing with us next season.

If Nichols has an ACL it is horrible news for them, but also MTL, it just makes the QB market even tighter

I still think Collaros's injury was the result of the low hit from five minutes earlier. It was the first time he tested the knee after the hit, and it buckled.

I tore my ACL without contact, just coming to a stop on a 20-m shuttle run (fitness test). My knee just buckled, and I had no previous injuries to it.

Me too - making a cut covering a receiver in a pickup game. And I'd say that's what seems to happened in the case of Fantuz and Castillo. But in Collaros's case, there was that hit shortly before the knee gave out, and I just suspect it may have been related.

You would be incorrect with that thought.

Adams acquired for a 1st round pick in 2017

Hamilton’s QBs will be Masoli, Manziel and Adams Jr.

One of Moniz or Dane Evans will be kept on the practice squad. The other will be given his walking papers.

I see no need to try to trade Adams Jr anywhere. We aquired him via trade for a reason…he fits June Jones’ run and shoot system, and he gives us depth at an important position.

On morning sports radio today (TSN 1150), there was speculation about who Winnipeg may target via trade if Nichols is done for the year. The name that came up most was James Franklin, who appears to be in tough to beat out Bethel-Thompson for #2 QB in Toronto right now. I could see Popp fleecing Walters on that deal in the next week if Nichols’ prognosis is dire.

Ted Wyman?
[ltr]@Ted_Wyman[/ltr]
56s56 seconds ago
Matt Nichols is out 4-6 weeks and will go on the 6-game injured list. #bombers #CFL

We host WPG week 3! :slight_smile: