Would CFL fans count in the Popular Culture Assn of Canada?

Just reading about this for the first time and since the CFL and Canadian football isn't really mainstream, I'm thinking we all might have some inclusion or at least some commonalities with this association?

Popular Culture Association of Canada stands on guard for the true north, strong and geeky

[i]Surprising as it may sound, there is indeed such a thing as the Popular Culture Association of Canada and, now in its second year, the group is growing. Under duress, they say, from a library-closing, CBC budget-slashing Conservative government, the organization, which opens its three-day conference May 10 in Niagara Falls, Ont., seems to be rallying the troops as it strives to keep multiple enemies at bay.

“I get the sense that anything cultural is seen as gravy, to use the Toronto term,? says Scott Henderson, an associate professor in communication, popular culture and film at Brock University and the one spearheading the loosely affiliated band of critical Canadian pop culture thinkers that mirrors groups in Australia, Britain and the United States. “It’s easy to blow off water cooler talk about popular shows or movies, but that’s what shapes our attitudes. Someone needs to understand these processes — they help shape who we are.?[/i]

[url=http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/05/10/popular-culture-association-of-canada-stands-on-guard-for-the-true-north-strong-and-geeky/]http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/05/10 ... and-geeky/[/url]

I think the CFL is mainstream in Canada.

The Grey Cup is one of the highest rated programs of the year. Usually is only gets beat by a gold medal hockey game at the Olympics.

Regular season games are also some of the higest rated programming in Canada.

To me that is mainstream.

Yeah the fact that he's writing this article with a toronto slant might completely ignore the CFL, as most torontonians and people in Ontario do. The CFL to a lot of ontarians isn't glamerous enough because it isn't outrageously hyped as the no fun league, sad bunch eh :lol: ? Or am I missing something, or not interpreting the article properly,

I live in Saskatchatoon in the off season, and the rides are as "Mainstream" as it gets there.....I wish more of Canada (ontario more specifically) got it like Sasky.... :rockin:

That brings up an interesting point though, what exactly is mainstream in the sense of how most people use the term? I agree that with the viewership CFL games get and the Grey Cup, it definitely is mainstream, otherwise NBA and MLB games on Canadian television wouldn't count as mainstream and yet people would call these "major" leagues as mainstream as it gets.

Exactly,

To most torontonians, having the Jays get thumped 19-2 by the royals infront of 11 thousand fans at skydome and another 500 on TV is more "Mainstream" than anything the CFL or the Argos have to offer, but what do I know, I didn't go to university to study what exactly Canadians find to be "Mainstream". The fact that we have to fashion our own prestine "Pop Culture" after Horstralia, the US and A, and Britain???? come on now, thats pretty sad...... why can't we forge our own &)(%$# identity that includes our very own CFL!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm half British, so I can critisize my partial homeland)

Just my (now discontinued) canadian pennies....

Yes KP, most people want to fit-in so to speak with the mainstream and not stand out for fear of being ridiculed and much of Canadiana type cultural things are just too "different" for many to take a risk on, easier to simply bash it automatically and say it's crap or say you've tried it but just isn't good enough and that and fit in with the largely American mainstream culture. Though I think that many of us here can and do fit into both worlds and find a comfort zone in doing so.

Just saw this thread now. I'm a member of PCAC and a Ticat fan, so just some random thoughts:

The Post usually runs articles at this time of year that report/ridicule any research on issues that don't seem worthwhile. I don't see a slant in this article, though perhaps the reporter seems to think that it's odd that the PCAC exists at all. PCAC members, though, tend to be very defensive about what they study. When Henderson states that he is using "the Toronto term," he's just poking fun at Rob Ford. Most of the people the reporter interviewed live in the GHA.

Most academics use the term "mainstream" to describe whatever is acceptable to the majority of people in a society.

The CFL is certainly mainstream. I don't think that PCAC or the reporter slighted the CFL by not mentioning it. Rather, the reporter chose to name some of the research at the conference and not others. Chances are, though, that most research on the CFL is not done by scholars who work in Cultural Studies, but in Sport Management or Phys.Ed. So they wouldn't go to the PCAC conference. There is also a group of independent historians who research Canadian football as a hobby, and they also have their own meetings. Can't remember the name of the group right now, but they met in Hamilton last year.

Let the Argos go and see what happens with the NFL.

Disagree Earl. As long as there is an owner, someone who believes in the Toronto area for Argo culture, then the CFL should strongly support this area. And work with people who show an interest in ownership.

Although not part of the "mainstream" sports culture in Toronto perhaps any longer (which actually in some ways is sort of neat), the Argos and the Canadian Football League do still matter there, just in a more subdued way than the Leafs or Blue Jays or Raptors or TFC all part of the corporate sports giants there.

One of my favourite music groups from Toronto, Wooden Sky and Cuff the Duke as well, not "mainstream" but love going to watch them and listening to their music.

Sports giants? Earl, buddy, you gotta stop reading Toronto news papers and watching Global TV! :smiley:

Raptors attendance this season was 16,835, out of a possible 19,800 (85% capacity).
Blue Jays routinely draw in neighborhood of 15,000 (and have already several times this year), their overall avg last year was around 22,000 (44% capacity).
And the mighty TFC drew only 13k to their last home 'match'.
Check this out too Earl, http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer ... 05486.html
Note the viewership numbers at the bottom, the best ever tv numbers for MLS are one third that of the CFL.

Our beloved CFL is indeed an underdog. A well performing underdog though!

Sorry, what I mean’t were owners of these teams as corporate business giants. Not a ton of people really care, for example, about the Blue Jays outside of the GTA, agree, and even in the GTA BJ games aren’t like they used to be when every game had over.40,000.

But Dave I don't know what your point is?? What does reading TO papers and TV have to do with it?
Are you saying that the TO papers and TV don't tell the truth about the Argo attendance?
So maybe last year when the Argos had their pre-season game in front of 10,000 that it wasn't actually 10,000, or the regular season with less than 18,000 paying fans. The TO papers and TV are not telling the truth?

Yes the Raptors draw 16,835!! for 40 home games or so - what's wrong with that, they have had terrible teams over the past few years. Are you saying that a team that plays in a 20,000 seat arena MUST sell out even if they are a last placed team?
I think 85% capacity is excellent. They make a LOT of money.

The Jays draw 22,000 average and they are "Terrible", last in the league drawing 22,000 average for 80 home games is a LOT OF REVENUE. They gave a big TV contract and a lot of corporate dollars.

Why did you bring up TFC drawing 13,000 ? when you didn't bring up TFC drawing 50,000 at the dome?
TFC haven't won a game this year and are the WORST team in the league - but their average last year was over 18,000 and again they have over 20 home games PLUS the CONCACAF tournament games and the International games against Chelsea/ManU. Not sure what the TV ratings are for TFCs regular season games but with the amount of games they have their TOTAL viewership is good especially when you include the big games like the LA game with Beckham.

Yes CFL ratings are good, but that is more to do with the rest of the country watching the CFL big time on TV. If you break down the ratings in the GTA you will find that viewership is nowhere near what it is in the rest of the country.

In that case Earl, isn't that the beauty of the CFL? Unlike the Jays for example, where they rely on people from the GTA to get to the games, it's just one team in Canada for MLB, the CFL has 8 teams in Canada and doesn't have all of it's eggs in just one city basket. Same with Raptors. TFC has Canadian partners, if you will, in Montreal and Vancouver, a bit more spread out and the NHL of course has 7 teams, well spread out.

You see, that's the beauty of the CFL. More than just Toronto. Imagine the Blue Jays if the GTA people didn't watch, then that team would be in trouble. In the CFL collectively, it can handle some weaker viewership from the GTA for the team in that one area of Canada. Not that the league or any of us as fans wouldn't want to see stronger viewship for the Argos/CFL in the GTA area, of course we would. But it's just not as important as, again, for the Jays for example.

Speaking of the Argonauts BTW, I never realized they are an animal. And they have enemies that eat them! :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argonaut_(animal)

I always really wondered about that..

If that many people are really watching why does that not translate into ticket sales. Something just doesn't quite add up and make sense are all these CFL fans from places that do not have a team or are not close..are they cheap.. whats keeping them from attending games are all the stadiums in "bad locations" that has been the excuse for Ivor Wynne for many many years..and don't blame the economy it's not that bad

People on here talk about how "other" teams lie about their actual attendance well i am calling BS on those TV numbers how can all these CFL fans not be there for their teams or even want to go to games

there is just something that doesn't add up

Well, considering the history of the Memorial Cup and the fact hockey is Canada's no. 1 sport in most people's minds, and the fact that the CHL is where the best juniors in the country play, it is a bit surprising the Memorial Cup hasn't captured the nation, so to speak more than it has. Interesting read here (sorry dawg for posting another article, hope it doesn't bug you too much :lol: )

JONES: Can the Memorial Cup become the Brier?

[i]Considering the Memorial Cup has been around for 94 years and has touched Canadians from coast to coast at one time or another, it’s strange it usually ends up as an event of huge local, but minimal national interest.

Most of Canada’s population is within a couple hundred kilometres of a junior hockey club which starts the season with the goal or dream of winning the Memorial Cup. But unlike the Grey Cup or the Brier, while it’s a very big deal in towns where the teams are from, it’s never been must-watch TV for the rest of the nation.

Until now. Maybe.[/i]...

[url=http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/05/23/jones-can-the-memorial-cup-become-the-brier]http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/05/23/j ... -the-brier[/url]

I remember those days very well. Seems now that maybe it was to see the new dome?

Problem solved, Toronto should build a new dome every 10 years or so!

Yes, and really Canada is one friggin weird sports scene where a lot doesn't make sense. The Grey Cup or Memorial Cup, equivalents if you will in the States, would be friggin huge and blasted all over national TV there, as well as the Brier, more so than now.

Canada is strange as a "sports" nation, whatever that means. :?

What is the "real" Canada, or is there such a thing? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

In the end, as has been suggested in books and academic articles, Canada is an illusion and soon we will be totally assimilated into the US. I actually do believe that although it breaks my heart to believe it so. But we'll keep fighting it as CFL fans, Memorial Cup fans, Brier fans and whatever else Canadiana there is to hold onto. We'll see. :?