Worst receivers in the league

If Chris Matthews ever clears NFL waivers - They will probably throw the bank at him.

Haven't heard any updates to this point on Matthews.

he signed with the Seahawks, as suspected he would, and is on their PR. 1st injury and he is a in.

Le pire receveur de la ligue est à Montréal. Et c'est celui dont on entend le plus parler!

Trying to find that balance of young receivers who could break out, CFL experienced as a back up/part time starter, and older veteran that has been a successful starter is not a easy task. Unable to get a top FA this season could change next year.
Henry has grown into that possesion receiver as a starter. Miles and Mitchell are two to watch right now IMHO. There both in the line up now and healthy and are two of the younger guys with the big upside. The latter two appear to be part of the final six game line up along with Henry. Both have shown potential to break out IMHO as deep threats.

Really a shame because receiver is a relatively easy position to fill. Tons of international quality college receivers floating around. National receivers are a different story but in terms of internationals, there is no excuse for Ottawa fielding this sad-sack group. Desjardins needs to get busy...

I am very surprised that Ottawa never reached out to Bruce. Bratton is done and wouldn’t help them (was never more than a serviceable 4th receiver in Montreal) and Richardson wasn’t medically cleared to play.

It seems that way, but the Renegades struggled with that too. I think there are a LOT of receivers out there but perhaps they’re all at about the same quality level.

I’m not. The guy is a PR disaster waiting to happen. Right around the start of free agency, he makes his anti-gay remarks. A 36-year old with limited playing time left isn’t worth the headache and may not be the guy you want around your youth.

He’s a proven receiver who could have been a useful piece of the puzzle for a limited amount of time. Yes, he’s a homophobe, which I have no patience for, but Ottawa wasn’t in a position to turn down experienced receiver depth. I don’t know what Desjardins was thinking, but he has really dropped the ball when it comes to receiver recruitment, and that’s on him. Apart from running back, receiver is the most plentiful position south of the border.

It it was “just” a matter of that comment, it would be one thing. I don’t agree with his point of view, but he’s entitled to it. But doesn’t he have a more colourful history of erratic behaviour? Doesn’t strike me as the leader/mentor type, either. Thanks but no thanks.

Actually Arland Bruce became both a leader and a mentor when acquired by the B.C. Lions from Hamilton in 2011. He was instrumental in the Lions winning the Grey Cup in 2011.
Bruce in my opinion was one of the premier receivers for the Lions. I will never understand why he was traded along with Simon after the 2012 season.

Though he sometimes came across as a a quirky guy who would put his foot in mouth he was still a receiver that was a real threat and respected for his athleticism. It is too bad Ottawa didn’t pick this guy up. The team could use a decent receiver. He still has the moves, the hands and the resilience as a receiver. I would love to see this guy back in the CFL. It may be that he was commanding too big a salary or the law suit he filed against the CFL back in July/14. It is hard to say. It may be that he was approached but turned down any offers.

When talking to Arland, I found this guy an approachable friendly sort. I remember many receptions he made where he would take hits that not a lot of players could recover from. Arland Bruce did and I tip my hat off to the guy! :rockin:

When trying to look up his numbers I can across the mention of Bart Andrsu referring to him as a bad teammate and unprofessional. Now that was before his stay in BC so maybe he grew up.

Maybe this comment in the article in question may be accurate:

“Bruce is a good team man and player as long as the team wins. His problems all start when they lose too much. Then he blames the coach, the QB, not getting the ball enough, etc. Bruce is a winner who cannot play for a loser.”

I’m always suspicious of players that teams don’t seem to want even when they’re productive. :?

Les Alouettes alignent le pire receveur partant de la LCF. Il porte le numéro 85.

Now that you’ve said that, watch him have a huge game…

“Bruce is a winner who cannot play for a loser”

Whoever made that comment doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Bruce was picked up by the Lions in August 2011 after suffering its 5th straight loss. The team was 0-5 when Bruce arrived in the Lions den. If Bruce “cannot play for a loser” he certainly had no trouble helping to turn around a losing team and help win a Grey Cup for the team in 2011. So much for the person who made such a remark.

Bruce has his supporters and there are players who still look up to the guy. He also has his retractors. Such is the life of any professional athlete but there is no getting away from what Bruce was capable of doing. I was okay with the Lions trading Simon but not both Simon and Bruce. I think the move hurt the team.

What D&P was getting at is Ottawa desperately needs a good receiver [or 2] who can hold onto the ball. Burris certainly could use the support. So many times the RedBlacks had a chance to convert 2nd downs into 1st downs only to have to give up the ball. I think Bruce could have done more good than not for Ottawa. We’ll never know.

Bruce was picked up by the Lions from Hamilton in 2011 because with or without the “reputation” the Lions took a chance that he could do something good for the Lions. They were right as history has proven.

As far as team not wanting to pick up Arland Bruce? Like I said, maybe Arland was approached but declined a low ball offer. Who knows?

Re: Bart Andrus’s take on Arland Bruce?

Well, Andrus was head coach of The Argos for all of one year. The team finished with a lousy record of 3-15. He was fired. Maybe Andrus did not have much to work with that year but looking at the roster that year the team had some pretty good talent. Or maybe he was too opinionated about his players or there was a personality conflict between a talented receiver, Arland Bruce, with his own quirks and new head coach trying to make an impression. From what I read this is what qualified “unprofessional” behaviour in Andrus’s eyes regarding Bruce:

• Being fined by the CFL for an end zone celebration,

• Being late for a team meeting,

• Misplacing his playbook on the team plane!

Bart Andrus apparently had finally had enough of what he deemed to be “unacceptable and unprofessional behaviour” from his veteran wide receiver. The first-year coach decided it was best to have Bruce sit out this week’s game to make a point.

Did that make Arland Bruce a bad teammate and unprofessional? Hmm… in Andrus eyes I reckon it did.

We're going to compare Bart F. Andrus, who lasted all of one season in Toronto with a sparkling 3-15 record, to Arland Bruce, who has multiple Grey Cup rings and who has always been a productive receiver in the CFL? Bart Andrus, the same guy who insisted on hiring a tight ends coach in three-down football? OK. :lol:

I suspect he means that Bruce doesn’t like being involved in the losing.

J’aurais bien aimé qu’il me fasse mentir, mais il a été fidèle à lui-même.

At some point, the guy next to me asked me if Johnson was even on the field. Pretty bad.