Worst or most over-rated Quarterbacks in CFL history

…Just found out MJ…it was for Dave ‘the knife’ Raimey…

Yep, you lost that trade. Raimey was good 'un.

Straight up one for one deal…Winnipeg traded rb-Dave Raimey to Toronto for qb-Wally Gabler in 1969.Gabler was as Papazoo said “lousy” and ended up quarterbacking the B.B’s to a stellar 3-12-1 season,meanwhile with Raimey teaming with Symons in the backfield the Argos ended up 10-4 for their first double digit win season in close to a decade.Terrible deal for the B.B’s,who ended up dumping Gabler on the Cats halfway through the 1970 season,as Hamilton needed a replacement for the injured Joe Zuger.The Cats traded Gabler to the Argos,early in the 1972 season,deciding to go with a rookie QB name of Ealey instead,ironically the Cats won the Cup that year,and the Argos with Gabler filling in for a season ending injury to Theisman ended up going 3-11missing the play-offs after their first Cup appearance in 19 years the season before in 1971.

God...Dave Raimey

I was a really little kid going to my first game ever in old Clarke Stadium in Edmonton with my older brothers.

Season opener. Great hopes for edmonton after several losing seasons. I was too young to grasp it all but absorbed the excitement around me.

Opening kickoff...Raimey runs in back all the way. poof..

My brothers still refer to that. Whenever things go badly they say "Raimeyed"

The Alouettes that year also signed high profile NFL stars Billie "Whiteshoes"Johnson,Jake Scott,Fred Bilitnicoff,David Overstreet and Tom Cousineau and ended up going down in history as the biggest flop the CFL has ever seen stumbling and bumbling their way to a 3-13 season with all that high priced NFL talent on board,the Alouettes were beyond Terrible in that 1981 season.That team was the main reason that the Alouettes eventually folded for the first time,only to be reborn as the ill-fated Concordes in 1982.

…good story…Raimey was definitely a premium back for the Bombers back in the day…I can recall one game ,when he literally deked out the entire Rider defence and danced his way from midfield to the endzone…Some would say that Leo Lewis or Charlie Roberts was our most elusive backs of all time…Raimey was right up there with them as far as I was concerned…A lot of fans were po’d when he was traded away in that ‘bummer’ deal…Got to watch those slick gms… :lol:

Agreed. And the reasons you provided illustrate just how highly the ALs thought of this guy and just how crappy he performed. $600,000? Qbs today don’t even make that (although that may change in the near future)

I know what I'm about to say will not sit well with a lot of Rider fans, and may even inspire some of them to try and find out where i live so they can dump manure on my neighbour's lawn.. lol :wink:

I would have to put Kent Austin on ANY over rated list.

none of these guys were bad, except that I remember not liking Brock at all. All star only twice. Only 2 yrs out of 11 with passer rating over 90. Highest single season completion 62.5% Nothing to rave about.

Damon Allen was all about longevity. His season to season stats were also not great. Played 23 years, only 3 getting over 60% completion. His best at 67% was when he only played 9 games. Only 3 times above 100% passer rating. Another 4 above 90. That leaves 16 below 90. Career average yards per game just less than 200. East all star just once. West all star just once. CFL all star just once.

Danny McManus. He and Darren Flutie made each other. Without Flutie, Danny sucked, both before and after Flutie. Highest passer rating for a single season, one time over 90 @ 92. Career passer rating of 76. More INTs than TDs. One season at 60% completion for the only time he reached 60%.

over rated to me means that too many people think they were better than they were. That means even in a case where someone was quite good, yet thought of as having been really great.

I was a youngster back then, and the number of NFL players Nelson Skalbania hired away from the NFL actually caught the attention of the talking heads on ESPN down here in the states. (It probably didn’t hurt that ESPN was carrying a full slate of CFL games back then. Ah, those were the days.)

Anyhow, the consensus was that Skalbania was trying to pull a “north of the border version of George Steinbrenner”. In a sense, Skalbania succeeded in that, since that was about the time that the Yankees began decade or so run of highly paid, underwhelming teams.

Most of the guys mentioned above were in the later stages of their careers, but Ferragamo presumably was in his prime. Obviously, “prime” in this case is a relative term. To this day, when I hear the word overrated, Vince Ferragamo’s name is the first thought that pops into my head.

I want to say Kerry Joseph for Saskatchewan not the worst, but overrated, looking at his stats from 2006 he did put up some solid numbers but I tend to believe he had a stacked team around him. Fantuz, Flick, Dominguez and Cates, had a solid line up front. On defense it was really James Johnson that won that game. Look at what happened when he went to Toronto the next season with depleted talent, he was a system guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for him and his role in bringing us a Grey Cup in 07' but I believe he was far overhyped in his time here.

1 Like

Agreed.

The CFL’s Trent Dilfer?

Okay, by that definition I see where you’re going. Wouldn’t be mine so that’s why I checked. I see Brock as one of that tier 2 of QB’s. You’re relatively glad to have him, you can win a cup with him, but you can see clearly that he’s not on top of the mountain.

Currently:
over-rated : Glenn or Durant
Worst : Boltus (though technically he's out of the league again) or Goltz

All Time
over-rated : McManus (perfect example of mediocrity)
Worst : Timmy Chang or Ted White, I'm sure I'm missing quite a lot more, but I'll never forget watching those two play.

not sure about worst or overrated, but the all time biggest disappointment to me was Andre Ware.

I put together some rare footage of perhaps the greatest QB that ever played pro football

You wont be disappointed if you are a true football fan

This guy played in the CFL and the NFL

Here`s the link check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OcoXp0dbxM

Not sure if Ledbetter qualifies, did he ever play a down? Tod Dillon may be a better choice :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL!!! Ledbetter made my list,due to the fact that the Cats released Calvillo :cry: in favour of Ledbetter as Danny Macs back-up in “98”.So when you figure that management deemed him to be better than Calvillo,he has too make the over-rated criteria of worst QB’s in Cats history based on that alone :oops:

As for him ever playing a down,here are his stats for that “98” season:18 of 33,189yds,54.5%,1td/3int. :thdn:
As for Dillon,he actually had a 7 yr run as our QB(88-94)and was never more than mediocre at best,IMO not bad enough for the worst list,and certainly nowhere near the best list,but ranking somewhere inbetween both lists,kind of like in QB purgatory,but diffenetly closer to the bottom than the top…tell ya what Mass,let’s say we give Dillon an honourable mention for the worst list. :cowboy: Ledbetter can be 9-a and Dillon can be 9-b :lol: :wink:

Just as a sidebar to the Ledbetter selection,he now resides in a Texas Penitentiary,where he was sentenced in July 2010 for assault on his girlfriend and breach of probation for a 12 year term in the big house.

http://www.cflapedia.com/Players/l/ledbetter_cody.htm Ledbetter bio and career stats [url=http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/2011/01/05/16774696.html]http://www.torontosun.com/sports/footba ... 74696.html[/url] Newspaper article.