Worst Ever CFL Owner

combination, takeover, union, alliance, amalgamation, coalition, fusion, hookup - but if I say the actual word I will get scolded for getting off topic - So I won’t say the word and I will thus stay out of moderator jail - But I think that MLSE is working a non NFL angle -

That is reason enough to add him to the list. That trade was A killer for the ALS and one of the worst trades in league history that Eric Tillman wasn’t involved in.

Since tbe league only has 6 private teams, it is possible to list every owner ever.
BC--- Pezim-comrie-skalbania-braley-Doman
Calgary

Hamilton

Toronto

Missing would be Interbrew
As for Montreal, this list is missing the most recent owners

As for Ottawa The Gliebermans are missing and the community group led by Joanne Pollack. Waters owned the Rens

I think I mentioned all of the American owners in the title post.

All of the foregoing is why the CFL bigwigs / commissioner should hire a large & prominent investment bank to go out to all the possible CFL candidate cities and search for financially sound and responsible possible owners who may have an interest in buying in to the CFL and owning a team.

I would send them to Victoria, Quebec City, Windsor, London, Niagara Falls - St. Catherines - Buffalo NY area (I think an NF team could go due to the large pop nearby), Moncton which seems to actually WANT a CFL team, and yes, even Halifax despite FORTY YEARS of inactivity on the Stadium building front. This AFTER they were actually granted a franchise in 1982!!!

It's pretty clear to me that there is minimal interest in Halifax and that nothing will probably ever happen there. After all, FORTY YEARS is FORTY YEARS... 40 years of no results, Halifax must have Moses himself in charge... Sheesh! But I would still make at least a token effort to get the City and Region off the scheid on a Stadium.

Just MHO....

Does that mean you’re nominating them for the worst owner? Granted, they’re pretty unprofessional, but nowhere near the worst, IMO.

They’re pretty close. Getting into Harold Ballard territory to be sure.

At least the Gliebermans didn’t deliberately torpedo their clubs. They were just incompetent.

Im not convinced of the sincerity of the current large conglomerate.

jt

1 Like

Honourable mention - Fred Anderson - California Gold Miners , if not in the CFHF as a builder he did build the CFL in the U S led to Montreal returning to the East Division! "Its a Great Day for Football" Fred Anderson , 1994 Grey Cup

2 Likes

Oh - That is one of those explain the universe and give three examples type question - I am going to have to say yes if MLSE actually pulls off driving the CFL as a whole into a bankruptcy breaking point to get what they want - that is some diabolical shit going on - some next level evil shit happening

1 Like

Before you guys continue your rant on the CFL (I love the CFL), keep in mind the return on investment in owning a team. You guys should be grateful someone steps forward each time someone needs to drop out.

You guys bad mouthing CFL ownership got your logic all mixed up.

Fred Anderson for worst owner? The guy who single handedly carried the CFL flag down south for multiple years, never coming even close to turning a profit. Was willing to carry on if at least one of the then American teams wanted to soldier on. Stepped aside and served up the Montreal market to an owner that was out of Canadian football within the next season? That guy?
He was the best US owner by a country mile.

3 Likes

David Braley was a long time owner, but litterally strangled 2 franchises into submission. If it wasn't for Bobby Ackles, he would have had no success at all with either franchise. He did fleece alot of money out of Tanenbaum, so tbat was cool though

Braley imperfect but he did save 2 teams and maybe the league

1 Like

Braley wasn't a good owner until he bought the Lions. When he was the Ticat owner before that he was the most indecisive owners ever. At that time he seemed to be driven by teenage girl mentality.

Many of the CFL owners listed were of incompetence that can be fixed with time and energy .

Any CFL owner who while owning a CFL team got in bed with NFL dreams is the worst owner to have as they do not respect or cherish the product they are selling to ....

YOU

That damage lasts .

Bob Young is an example of a good owner. He cares about his customer base and runs the team like a business, not like a hobby. He recenctly sold a 40% stake in the Ticats for $20 million. If owners run their teams properly, they will see a decent return on investment. Unfortunatley, we’ve had too many hobbyist owners.

2 Likes

Template for private CFL ownership … puts his money in and works on the off field business .

You are right it is not just a hobby or side-show , It has cost him time and money .

His patience is what stands out .

Most would have cut and ran by now .

Yeah, it’s a shame because if more of the private owners operated like a real business rather than like a hobby, it would make business–and franchise evaluations–better for everyone.

1 Like

Exactly … his goal is to make the CFL sustainable after he is gone …

He is interested in it’s legacy to survive and thrive eventually

not just right now … bean counting or believing any success is measured against unattainable goals with US financed leagues .

for that type of business goals you would need patience , perseverance , extremely thick skin and I would say a degree of humbleness .

And business acumen.

1 Like