Worried about CFL (empty seats at Stamps/Argos game)

The stadium needs to either be renovated or replaced hopefully with a dome.

The city helps with the cost of an arena but nothing for McMahon.

Calgary is really strange that way sometimes.

2 Likes

Stadium replacement or upgrade not going to happen, an outdoor stadium is just not used enough to justify.
Yes, I can understand a new arena, an NHL franchise that play over 45 home games, concerts, conventions, an arena will get a lot of use and can make money in the long term, a lot of justification for one

I feel like there is a good swell in people who were only casual fans so it should be good

Also this year (so far) I see alot more mainstream attention to the CFL (which is wonderful, because lets be honest there were many mistakes in Week 1 AND the Blue Jays are still in playoff contention so seeing people talk about CFL now is a great thing)

As for crowds things can change very quickly
We have no idea what the east will look like (and 2 of the biggest cities in the league have the softest support) but its not that long ago we saw stuff like “Save the Riders” campaigns so despite a good run nothing is a guarantee.

Was a good game. Still worried long term about league viability if after missing football they can’t sell out be we shall see how the season goes. Looking forward to seeing how BMO field fills up.

1 Like

What was the COVID-19 protocol for the fans, double vaccinated, masks??

Giving that many CFL fans are older, maybe some stayed away.

Makes me wonder what justified building this outdoor stadium originally. If it’s beyond its lifespan, just use that original reasoning for it’s rebuild which probably took limited use in account. Simple.

Their will be no dome, I'd be blown away if they got one. But people are also correct when it comes to Saturday games during summer. Thursday games are to try to get the people that want to go to games but also leave town on Friday after work to the stadium. Edmonton is the same, although commonwealth is far superior to McMahon

2 Likes

Thursday games are strictly for TV. They;re to keep the CFL on TV an extra night each week.

1 Like

Sorry, many people in Manitoba who have cottages (campers/tenting) are away every weekend, getting off work early Friday and gone. A Thursday football game works for them.
I’m sure that’s true in multiple places.

2 Likes

Yuuuuuppppppp, that’s true

1 Like

Really? there would be that many CFL fans leaving every weekend? it’s not like they have a home game every weekend.

Manitoba, land of 100,000 lakes

an indoor stadium could be utilized year round with more economical benefit.

2 Likes

The one they tried to get funding and build with glass surround was interesting but the renders made it look like a over built school gym and it was hard to see what it might really look like .

It may have been a throw away design with the arena attached as a grand design they knew ahead of time wouldn't get approved so they opened a bargaining position at the high point and then got sufficient funding for the arena alone later .

I just checked 2019 Winnipeg attendance figures. They had 3 Thursday home games, weeks 3 (early july) 9 and 10 (mid august). All of their home games were between 24.1k (for Argos) and 25.3k regardless of which day of the week. Very consistent. Only Banjo Bowl (33.1k) and Montreal (cold Sat mid-Oct 20.9k) were outside of that range.

So the cottages are not a factor, at least not in Winnipeg.

Thank you, you made my point, 2 Friday home games in July, 7k under cap. September long weekend is close up time, Banjo bowel is one week after the long weekend, plus that game would sell out with Riders, if given a chance. Everything else was Thursday or a bye week or an away game.

Wasn’t cost a factor in this project not going forward?

Seems like the two parties had a difference of opinion in regards to costs.

What are you reading? I just said that there is NO DIFFERENCE between Thursday and Friday attendance in Winnipeg. None. Zero.

A person will buy season tickets knowing they will miss 2 games, give them to a family member or friend, but you won’t buy season tickets if you miss 5 or 6 games. Selling season tickets was a huge deal some years ago, re: short cottage season and weekend games conflict.

Yes they put out a mega project with high costs and settled for something smaller later .

Good negotiation tactic aim extremely high first and settle somewhere else in-between .