World Football Tournament

Has anyone heard of the World Football Tournament that's taking place shortly? Is it televised?
Adriano Belli and former Lion HAJI-RASOULI will be playing for team Canada.

This will mark the fourth world senior men's tournament -- which began in 1999 and is held every four years -- but Canada's first appearance in the event. The United States is the defending champion, beating Japan in double overtime in 2007 in Tokyo. The Japanese won the opening two competitions -- '99 in Palermo, Italy and '03 in Frankfurt.

Canada will be in Group B with Japan, France and Austria. The United States, Mexico, Germany and Australia comprise Group A.

The Canadian 45-man roster consists of current and former Canadian university stars as well as those from the national junior ranks. Josh Sacobie, who lined up under centre with the Ottawa Gee-Gees, and longtime Western Mustang Michael Faulds, are among the squad's quarterbacks.

I`d love to watch some of the games on TV. Hopefully TSN 2 can pick this up. Or else somewhere on the web....

http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=371027
http://www.americanfootball2011.com/en/

tournament's official website. Worst case scenario now at least we can all keep up to date.

You know, something bothers me about this. It's not that Canadians are playing U.S. rules, or that they don't even give a nod to Canadian rules, but that they call the tournament "American."

Many know that outside of North America the entire continent including Mexico and Canada is often referred to simply as America, with no regard to nationality since the term is used only as a geographic indicator. It's not uncommon, for example, to hear a visitor from Europe say something like "I'm so happy to be in America" when they are, in fact, in Canada. This is no mistake. They really mean North America as we know it. Just as they sometimes refer to themselves as Euros, irrespective of nationality, they often think of anybody from this side of the world as American, because, well, that's what we are.

So by holding this tournament in Europe and calling it American, it implies to Euros that it is played everywhere in North America and that everybody plays by these rules. This is wrong of course, since U.S. rules football is mostly and primarily played only in the United States.

It's not a big deal because there are of course many who can make the distinction and understand that these are really U.S. rules only. I just think it's more than a little arrogant to usurp the term "American", and take to a place where not everyone completely understands what is meant by that. If they cared about respect for the game and historical and geographic accuracy they would have called it the World Championship of U.S. football. Because it's not simply American. There is no such thing as "American" football unless you're referring only generally to gridiron football.

Yes, it bugs me too that the British refer to Canada as "America", the BBC is the worst culprit. Now all of Europe calls us America. We should point out that that term is an insult to Canadians and set them straight.

The World tournament can't be take seriously playing only American rules. They should alternate rules like the World Junior, International hockey or the old CFL/NFL exhibitions which used to alternate rules at halftime.

Canadians invented the game of football long before Americans reduced the size of the field to fit in baseball stadiums and switched to 4-downs (U.S. football officially used 3-downs until 1916) and the Yanks shouldn't just anoint their peewee tourney the "World Championship" of Not Ready for Primetime players...without a tip of the hat to the founding nation of the game of football.

Hope the games shown live or not, would like to see the QB,s compete.

Do you know for a fact that Europe wasn't already using some cognate of the term "America" to refer to the Americas before the BBC? Given the history of the Americas, it's plausible, and maybe even likely, that that usage predates the existence of Canada as a country. Furthermore, in some Latin American countries, the Spanish cognate of "American" does not refer specifically to the United States, whose name, by the way, is not America, but the United States of America.

It's not something they started doing. It's something they've been doing all along and haven't stopped yet. If anything, it's the US usage that we should be offended by, identifying themselves as the Americans, despite the fact that anybody from Canada down to Argentina, as residents of North and South America can legitimately be called an American.

Canadians invented the game of football long before Americans reduced the size of the field to fit in baseball stadiums and switched to 4-downs (U.S. football officially used 3-downs until 1916) and the Yanks shouldn't just anoint their peewee tourney the "World Championship" of Not Ready for Primetime players...without a tip of the hat to the founding nation of the game of football.
Do you have any sources to back this up? I hear people say it a lot, but anything I've read on the matter suggests this isn't true. Canada can be credited for teaching the Americans how to play something like rugby, at the famous McGill-Harvard game, but we can't take any credit for inventing that game. We learned it from the Brits. The modern down-and-distance game was developed in the US by Walter Camp through a series of changes to the rugby game. For an interesting account of this history, read this article [url=http://www.profootballresearchers.org/Articles/Camp_And_Followers.pdf]http://www.profootballresearchers.org/A ... lowers.pdf[/url] The article also shows that the field size was reduced long before fitting them into football stadiums mattered. In fact, the modern American football field is even longer than what Camp defined, due to the creation of end zones. They used to play on a 110 foot field, just like us, but shortened the area between the goal lines by 10 yards and added 10-12 yards at either end for the end zones.

Only years after that did Thrift Burnside come up with the rules for the Canadian game, which was basically Camp's game adapted to Canadian tastes. But before that, as far as I can tell, what we were playing was more or less rugby. There have been changes to the American game since then, of course, and some have even been influenced by Canadian rules (such as 3 downs for 10 yards instead of 3 for 5), but I haven't been able to find anything authoritative that shows modern gridiron football is a Canadian invention. If you know of something that proves otherwise, please, let me know. I don't normally like to be proven wrong, but in this case, I'd be happy if I were.

There is plenty of evidence that Canadians played football since at least the 1850's, with the Hamilton Tigers Football Club being incorporated in 1869, the Toronto Argonauts in 1876, with the Ottawa and Montreal football clubs starting up in the same decade. While early Canadian football was very similar to rugby, what evidence is there that rugby was invented in England or that they had rugby clubs incorporated in England in the mid 1800's? The American lore may claim Walter Camp, Abner Doubleday, or whoever, invented football but that was decades after football was being played in Canada.

We used the term "rugby-football" for many decades and the game has always been unique to Canada. They played no football or rugby in America until McGill introduced the game to Harvard in 1874.

I think PiCat, you never will find anything authoritative that will decide either way.

The fate and format of football in Canada and in America have been intrinsiclty interwoven since McGill played at Harvard.

im curious to see how faulds does. I have wondered if he hadnt gotten injured, and the stars had aligned better for him if he might have gotten a practice roster spot on a CFL team. maybe even not as a qb at first. hes an athelete. He might be put into the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame someday for his numbers in CIS.

Here's Canada's roster. It includes QB Brad Sinopoli (I thought he was playing for the Stamps) and Danny Brannigan!

[url=http://www.americanfootball2011.com/uploads/media/Team_Canada_01.pdf]http://www.americanfootball2011.com/upl ... ada_01.pdf[/url]