Work Stoppage Looms

Apparently negotions are not going so well at the moment...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2010/03/12/lefko_cfl_labour_dispute/

Will be long Summer with out the CFL..

Here is something I found while exploring: The CFL has enjoyed labour peace for decades, with there being only one players' strike in its history. That came in 1969 when Toronto Argonauts players walked out of traing camp to protest Canadians not being paid during camp and for exhibition games. the matter was resolved with the Argos missing no regular-season games. Lets all hope this dispute gets resolved and the season starts on time.

CFL players and team's don't make enough money to have the luxury of a work stoppage. I don't think anything will come to fruition.

This would be awful for the CFL. Lockouts are never good. Especially for a league like the CFL where the league is starting to see the fruits of a lot of thing coming together.

Just when the league is entering prime time, this could potentially have a very serious effect on the CFL.

If we were in June, I would worry much more; while there could be actual disagreements/excessive demands on each side, common sense will prevail and they-both parties- will come to an agreement in early June,mid June at the latest. Nobody needs a strike/lockout.

Richard

I don’t believe for a second that mere economic and population difference explains the vast difference between salaries in the CFL and the NFL, with owners in both leagues keeping two sets of books without doubt in my mind as do most business owners anyway.

Someone will have to explain perhaps, other than with just plain greed and malfeasance as happens no doubt, how a team could not be raking it in well by averaging crowds of conservatively 20K at such venues for 9 home games plus any playoff games given the multiple streams of revenue both at the venue and away from it all the time.

Sure the players are not paid enough, but I’m afraid Dust is correct otherwise though because a strike in 2010 would be more disastrous for the CFL than it would for the NFL as it looms for 2011.

A work stoppage would be categorically dumb for the players and the league as a whole. This isn't the MLS (where a work stoppage will also be a dumb and horrible idea) where guys at the end of the bench are making $15K per year. In this kind of economy I don't see how the players have much leverage, esp. with Hamilton and Toronto allegedly losing money.

What multiple streams of revenue are referring to? The TV contract is the biggest the CFL has had but it's not that big especially compared to the NFL or NHL. Teams like the Argos generate most of their revenue from ticket sales. They don't get any money from other events at Rogers Centre.

Concessions, parking, licensing, guest appearances by players, stadium advertising, various sponsorships, product placements, and on and on and on and on ...so much money is made on all those on top of only ticket sales ...it's fundamental business to any sporting or analogously other events at such venues as sell. Also these profits are easier to hide from the public despite whatever is reported to Revenue Canada up there.

There should never have been a 56% of gross revenues provision negotiated in the last agreement, because teams could never pay that amount. A more realistic figure would be 30%, but that provision is really meaningless and the whole concept should be abandoned...as the league is trying to do. The CFL is not like the American-based leagues with massive TV contracts, or with 40 to 80 home games to generate revenues. Contrary to what Lefko claims, the TV deal is only a minor revenue source for CFL teams.

The CFL is really a house of cards and they simply cannot have a work stoppage or the league may be finished. The CFLPA has to toe the line or the league has no choice but to break them and form a new association which will work in conjunction with the league. All players would have to be released from their contracts and renegotiate new deals. If they don't like it, they can go home. There are plenty of players available to take their place. When push comes to shove, at least 85% of the players would abandon the CFLPA and sign new contracts.

It won't be pretty, but the CFL simply cannot afford a independent player's union in any shape or form like the major leagues. Another option would have all the player's paid by the league office, compensated according to position and years of service.

Xvys, thumbs up on your comments. Not only this one, but others I have read in posts. :thup:

Maybe an Argo fan knows but do the Argos get concessions and parking revenues or do those go to Rogers Centre? I know some teams get them but not all. Guest appearances by players don't make much money for the team especially since the player has to be paid to make the appearance as well. Stadium advertising and sponsorships are not a huge source of revenue. The majority of revenues for most, if not all, CFL teams still comes from ticket sales.

PaoloX wrote:

Someone will have to explain perhaps, other than with just plain greed and malfeasance as happens no doubt, how a team could not be raking it in well by averaging crowds of conservatively 20K at such venues for 9 home games plus any playoff games given the multiple streams of revenue both at the venue and away from it all the time...

Concessions, parking, licensing, guest appearances by players, stadium advertising, various sponsorships, product placements, and on and on and on and on ...so much money is made on all those on top of only ticket sales ...it's fundamental business to any sporting or analogously other events at such venues as sell. Also these profits are easier to hide from the public despite whatever is reported to Revenue Canada up there.

And furthermore...The average league attendance is over 29,000. The league owns the revenues for all playoff games, although teams can negotiate to buy the playoff ticket revenue from the league. CFL teams don't get paid for guest appearances by the players. 3 of the 8 CFL teams are community owned and their Financial Statements are published and posted on the internet. Every dime is accounted for and I don't believe they are hiding any profits. In 2008, the Eskimos had revenues of $15M, the Riders $28M, these are the two richest teams. Other teams have revenues in the $10M to $14M range.

So the 56% of gross revenues provision is meaningless as players are paid by their respective teams, which are independent businesses. In Hamilton, 56% of $10M revenue is $5.6M. In Regina, 56% of $28M revenue is $16M, about four times the current salary cap.

While revenue streams vary widely from team to team, ticket sales make up about 50% of revenues for most teams, with local sponsorships and merchandise sales at about 20%. The TV contract and national sponsorships contributes about 5% to 15% of revenues for CFL teams.

(p.s. Thanks for the vote of confidence ABgoldenbears!)

Well it seems then that we'll end up with a new player's union given that all teams but the Rough Riders could not afford reasonably the higher salaries demanded given even the assumption that profits from minor revenue sources are not being hidden to any substantial degree? Excellent posts again Xvys. :thup:

And like Artie I don't know what an Xvys even is, but I don't care the posts work for me and maybe the mystique just part of his brand. :cowboy:

I've received several questions recently about the meaning of my handle, but I was sworn to secrecy. So now may be as good of time as any to reveal it's origins:

I was a big fan of the 80's arcade game, Xevious, so as a tribute I starting using that for my online handle. But to make it more unique, I tried using the spelling XVYZ, which I thought was pretty cool, making a word from those alphabet-ending letters. But unfortunately many pronounced it ZE-VEES, which sounded more like a tropical skin disease. So I changed it to XVYS, which hopefully people will recognize as ZEVIOUS (ZE-V-S). And that is the end of the story! :roll:

I am with the players on this one, for years they have been taking it in the teeth.
With many clawbacks every time the league was in peril.
We all agree how the league has been on a major upswing and most teams save and except Toronto and Winnipeg are making money. In fact, the Riders and Esks are making mega profits.
It is clearly time for an increase in the minimum salaries and the cap should go up to $5.5 million and the roster size should also increase to 50 players, with the GC and playoff money doubling in value.
If the players do not get what they want, yes I am saying its time to go on strike.

If the players have a problem with their paychecks, let them see if any other league will pay them more to play. They are here cause they cant make it in the NFL and they are lucky to be playing at all. No CFL team is raking in the dough. CFL is a paycheck to paycheck league.

Please read xvys's two posts below that also cite actual figures before making such a bold sweeping claim. And is it too much to ask to provide figures or evidence to substantiate that point if you feel otherwise?

As Xvys points out Sasketchewan is raking it in huge, and Edmonton is prospering just fine as others lag or languish to varying degrees.

xvys said nothing to contradict my post, and if he did, so what. I have been a CFL fanatic for 43 yrs. I know alittle bit about it. What the hell do you know.

Stating that two teams have the highest gross revenue does not equal raking it in.

I bet you dont know that not long ago, the riders had to scramble to find other means of revenue.