Women’s World Hockey Championship

Following on the heels of the World Junior Tournament, the women’s world championship starts today in Denmark. Due to Covid it is being played in the summer for the second year in a row. That may stymie interest as it did for the world juniors, but I thought I would start a thread anyway in advance of the sure to be hotly contested final against the US.

Canada plays Finland at noon central today. Further details on the tourny linked below.

Go Canada! :canada:

(Canada looks to stay on top of the women's hockey world Canada IIHF World Women's Championship Beijing 2022 Olympics - TSN.ca)

The US has laid down the gauntlet with bulletin board material proclaiming that they are the best.

(Knight proclaims Team USA the best entering women’s hockey worlds Hilary Knight Team USA Women's World Hockey Championship - TSN.ca)

4 Likes

A primer of the field for the tournament linked below.

(A team-by-team look at the women's world hockey championship field Women's world hockey championship field - TSN.ca)

1 Like

I guess I should probably pay more attention to women's hockey than I do. Is body checking still a penalty, though?

Yes it is.

I wasn’t initially interested in women’s hockey when it came on the scene in the 90’s but have come to appreciate it. Canada’s games with the US are usually monumental. One problem it still suffers from is the drop off in competition after those top two teams.

1 Like

No body checking means I’m out.

I did briefly date a girl who played on our university’s hockey team and went to a number of games and enjoyed them.

Canada beat the Finns 4-1 in their opening game today. I didn’t see the afternoon game but apparently they didn’t play their best despite outshooting Finland by a wide margin. I think Finland is considered to be the third best team in the tournament, although still well behind the US and Canada.

(Poulin, Nurse lead Canada to win over Finland at women's hockey worlds Marie-Philip Poulin Sarah Nurse Canada Finland women's world hockey championship - TSN.ca)

Consensus on CBC News was that Finland has improved since the Beijing Olympics.

1 Like

(Fillier scores twice to lead Canada past Switzerland at Women's Worlds Sarah Fillier Canada beats Switzerland Women's World Hockey Championship - TSN.ca)

Canada beat Switzerland only 4-1 today in spite of outshooting them 46-8.

1 Like

Canada won its second game in less than 24 hours over Japan, 9-0. That’s more like it.

(Poulin, Bach lead Canada's scoring burst in win over Japan at Women's Worlds Marie-Philip Poulin Canada win Japan Women's World Hockey Championship - TSN.ca)

1 Like

The first tilt between the two big guns goes at 2 pm eastern today. I won’t be able to watch it but it is usually a hard fought exciting affair when these two teams play. Also almost certainly a preview of the gold medal

(Eldridge ready for first taste of Canada-USA rivalry Canada's Jessie Eldridge earns her world hockey championship chance - TSN.ca)

1 Like

Didn’t see the game but unfortunately Canada lost 5-2 to the US this afternoon. It means little at this point but perhaps the US will have a psychological edge in the final.

(United States defeats Canada to win Group A at Women's Worlds Lacey Eden United States Canada Women's World Hockey Championship - TSN.ca)

If it’s anything like other worlds tournaments, it’s hard to beat the same team twice…

1 Like

Canada plays Sweden in one quarter final today at 2 pm Eastern. This result of this game shouldn’t be in doubt, but as the article below says, Canada has a few things to work on in anticipation of their rematch with the US in the final.

(Canada looks to rebound from loss to USA in QF vs. Sweden Team Canada hits reset button for quarterfinal after loss to U.S. - TSN.ca)

1 Like

Canada played a brilliant first period, amassing a 2-0 lead but sat on the lead and tried playing "Wpg Jets Kitty-Bar-the-Door" hockey rest of game, watching as the Americans over-powered a drowsy and somewhat ineffective Canadian squad.
I suspect the Canadian girls have learned the old Team USA trick of sand-bagging in the round-robin and then turning on the Jets & iron-will in the gold medal game.

At least, I hope so!

2 Likes

I didn’t see the game but will definitely be watching Canada on the weekend. I hope you are right with your prediction. This team has been on a roll for a while now.

As expected, Canada reached the semis by beating Sweden 3-0. Didn’t see the game but Canada outshot Sweden 57-9 so that score obviously flatters Sweden. They went 0 for 8 on the power play, however.

In the upset of the tourny Czechia beat consensus #3 Finland in OT. Their reward is a semi matchup with the US. Canada is also rewarded by playing Switzerland in the other semi, rather than the Finns.

(Canada into women's world hockey semifinal with win over Sweden Jocelyne LaRocque Sarah Potomak Erin Ambrose Canada Sweden Women's Hockey World Championship - TSN.ca)

1 Like

(United States to play for gold at Women's World Championship United States Czechia Women's World Championship semifinal - TSN.ca)

The US had no trouble with Czechia earlier today and will play in tomorrow’s final as expected. Canada, their likely opponent, is currently up 4-1 on Switzerland after two.

And Canada put the boots to Switzerland in the third and ended up winning 8–1. The final goes tomorrow at 1:30 Eastern.

(Canada advances to face USA in gold-medal game at Women's Worlds https://www.tsn.ca/1.1844297.1662227393)

1 Like

....and Canada completes the trifecta of ladies championship hockey by Winning the Word Championship 2-1 over the US !!!

Way to go!!

2 Likes

Just finished watching it on PVR.

I think this is the first time they have ever done that as there usually is no World Championship in an Olympic year.

Congrats :canada:

1 Like

That’s a wrap on this year’s Workd Championship. Hopefully that is the last one starting in August. Final write up below.

(Canada strikes gold at Women's Worlds with win over USA Canada wins gold Women's World Hockey Championship - TSN.ca)

2 Likes