Wolitarsky, Bombers agree to two-year extension

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension with Canadian receiver Drew Wolitarsky, the team announced on Monday. Wolitarsky was scheduled to become a free agent next week.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/01/31/wolitarsky-bombers-agree-two-year-extension/

Very helpful signing, particularly for the ratio. Although born in the US, he once spoke to a neighbour who dated a Canadian and then viewed their passport, clearly making him Canadian under CFL rules.

The Bombers have yet to sign their big 3 US receivers, but if they do not, at least receiver is a position that is very deep in Americans that can play in the CFL.

1 Like

Wolitarsky's well-educated US cousin pulled a few strings on his behalf.

2 Likes

Solid signing. They have also inked Couture which is a very good signing. Heard talk that Alexander had ACL surgery after the season so will likely miss a large part of the coming season if that's true. Unlikely IMO a lot of teams will take a gamble on him. But you never know.

2 Likes

If true I'm sorry to hear that. Fortunately Alexander is still in his twenties. He'll heal quickly.

I was actaully a little disappointed with Woli this year, expected a little more.
Hopefully he can be a bigger threat next year(s).

2 Likes

Hadn’t heard about Couture yet but that is good. Also hadn’t heard about Alexander’s surgery. Could be a tough break for him if he can’t play for awhile.

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

1 Like

I wish I could give you more than one thumbs up for this one!

Bluto. Walby’s nickname.

1 Like

Well, he probably came cheap. He hasn't progressed from his breakout season in '18 but you want to have at least 2 National receivers who can play & minimum another for injuries/rotation. Outside of Demski & Woli there's Agent Orange who didn't get a look. That's pretty thin depth. There's always injuries &, crossed fingers, you hope it doesn't land in the wrong place. If Demski got hurt, the way it is now you gotta hope Woli can play. An area that needs shoring up.

1 Like

Would have to agree that another NI WR is needed, would like to get Peterman back - has Ott signed him?
If not, you can bet we'll draft one.

1 Like

You drafted O'Leary-Orange & he hasn't had a target. Draft 3 receivers but if they don't get used it doesn't solve the problem.

I have it on good authority that he was drafted solely because of the cool surname.

2 Likes

I'm on board for that Jon. He can stand on our sidelines anytime.

1 Like

Except he would probably be starting.

1 Like

No he'd be the backup Orange. Anthony says he's coming back. And Lemon may be coming back so he'd be 3rd string Citrus.

It doesn't solve the problem??
What exactly is the problem? That the insurance/depth guy wasn't used?
Are you suggesting we should have sat Woli/Demski so a rookie can go in and maybe get a ball thrown his way?

Who knows if the 3rd NI WR will be needed next year, but there will be someone there regardless. Sure we'd love to find someone that can push for reps, but I would not call it a problem.

1 Like

We've had GOOD problems to solve the past three years. :grin:

2 Likes

The problem is depth Blue. The Bombers played 5 imports @ DB (see GC depth chart), 2 import tackles so even with a NI RB, you need to go with 2 Nationals @ receiver. If Adams or Wali goes down, you have 1 guy who basically wasn't good enough to throw 1 pass to. I don't know what you call it but I don't call it depth. Of course there will be "someone there regardless" so whoopee. LOL

Barring a near ridiculous injury spree like the Riders experienced last season (21 bodies on IR) I think we'll be all right. Going into the playoffs we had adequate depth at every position except quarterback. It could be that we were prepared to junk the season if we'd lost Collaros. That might be the case again this year.

But there is a catch 22 to what you are saying. First of all, that ratio on O is what we've used for years. Last year we didn't need to use the 3rd NI WR. Maybe BOO got into a game, but like you said no targets. heck even Woli doesn't get many targets. If we go out and get the best option possible to be behind Demski & Woli, would they even willingly go on the PR? Would another team grab them?
If that's where the "lack of depth" is, I think I'm fine with that right now.

3 Likes