With regards to rebuilding...

I just want to point out to all the Marcel fans who have written that they should have given him another year after this rebuilding...I don't buy it.

The team's win total has receded each of the last three seasons. However, there is an obvious precedent.

The 1997 team went 2-16, but the following year the Ticats went 12-5-1. These things do happen in one year with good management. The team won only four games last year, but there were quality players in place who should have been retained for this season. The replacements were not adequate in many cases, (with the exception of the linebacking core) hence fewer losses. Point being, this group of players took undisciplined penalties and lost games all year. There is no evidence to suggest that they would be any better next year with Marcel without further changes across the board. So, essentially, he accomplished little in his first season as GM, and the team took a step back. The 1-17 team turned to 9-8-1 the year after. Turnarounds can happen quickly in the CFL, but improvement was not shown in this case.

That's just my opinion.

The team won only four games last year, but there were quality players in place who should have been retained for this season.
I am DEFINITELY NOT buying this bill of goods... QUALITY PLAYERS !!!??? Gimme a Fr-Eakin BREAK !! ... and if I hear DJ Flick ONE MORE TIME I think I'll BUST my monitor ... ONE UNDERSIZED WR would not made an IOTA of Difference to this club ... Barranchea is not missed, Incom-PlETERSON was not missed ... and the Canadian OL talent was REPLACED with BETTER Talent ... Arabin Justin and Tad Kornegay - gimme a BIGGER Fr-Eakin BREAK !!

There is NO WAY I will ALLOW HISTORY to be re-written in this forum ... last year's team STUNK, and was RIDDLED with AGING VETS on the DECLINE ... and DISPOSABLE Canadian talent.

NO WAY ... moving FORWARD ... the new GM will have a WAY EASIER time of it than Desjardins did ... PERIOD !!

Peace.

P.S - With regards to the penalties and UNDISCIPLINED play etc ... that is a COACHING ISSUE.

:roll:

Meany - I think DJ would have made a BIT of a difference - although I don't believe we would have won any more games. With regards to your other comments - harsh, but true.

I cannot disagree with anything meanstreak said.

They didnt need to completely rebuild this year. Mr mitchel stated that they didnt intend to, that was marcels doing and his undoing. I find it funny that we won 3 games this year and people call last year a losing culture, what kind of culture is this year? they axed marshall and lancaster coached that team to a 4-10 record after coming in. Lancaster got 4 wins in 14 tries with a losing culture, marcel brought in a winning culture of 3 wins in 18 games, got it. Real genius for finding setta, he will be nfl bound, should have been locked in. armour could go anywhere, should have been locked in. If a gm finds talent he also needs to make sure it will stick around. He rebuilt alright, from bad to way worse.

Then why aren't they blowing it up again?

Why the surgical refinements as Mitchell describes it?

Because they acknowledge that there's a good foundation.

there was a good foundation last year is what they acknowleged, and marcel blew it up. I guess lancaster should still be coach if he got 4 wins in 14 games with the team marcel blew up? what you call the losing culture managed 4 and 10 with ronnie, not bad for interim coach of a losing culture team. marcel ripped it up, marcel built his team, got his coach and won 3 in 18, pretty sad. they wont blow it up this year, there was no reason to blow it up last year but he did and he paid the price.

problem is you cant take a 4-14 team and rip it apart and make it worse and then say you have built anything. He did a poor job and most of all, it wasnt what his bosses wanted. How can you seriously say that last years 4-14 team, that went 4-10 after the coaching change is a losing culture but this years 3-15 is a good foundation? you have to be kidding

Why the surgical refinements as Mitchell describes it?
thats a little harsh dont you think? perhaps you should call mr mitchell out on that one. I have been directly affected by surgery and anyone else who has knows its no picnic.

Do names like Maas, Cheatwood, Cotton, Hitchcock, Moreale MEAN ANYTHING to you ??

Let's just PRETEND for a millisecond I could SUSPEND ALL DISBELIEF and buy into this "good foundation theory" ... where would the team have been NEXT SEASON ??? with the aforementioned players ??? ...

I SWEAR, some people around here have ZERO CONCEPT of the BIG PICTURE ... not to mention ZERO capability of evaluating talent.

To base your (so-called) ANALYSIS on the W-L record is so SIMPLISTIC, and SMALL MINDED that I must go SLAP MYSELF for even RESPONDING to your drivel.

Peace.

Meanstreak wrote: To base your (so-called) ANALYSIS on the W-L record is so SIMPLISTIC, and SMALL MINDED that I must go SLAP MYSELF for even RESPONDING to your drivel."

Meanstreak-take a deep breath.
Bill Parcells had a line for this. He said a team is what its record is. THAT is the BIG picture.
Simplistic? Yes. But I agree with him.

Okay, I am, OFFICIALLY, getting OFF this merry-go-round arguement ...

The '06 Cats were Fr-Eakin HORRIBLE with ZERO chance for any FUTURE success ...

The '07 Cats were Fr-Eakin horrible with MUCH MORE going for it than ANYTIME in the past 4 years ... cap space, a LEGITIMATE Franchise QB, young Canadian talent, and SEVERAL key players to build around ... PERIOD. End of FR-Eakin story.

Of ALL the off-seasons in the Bob Young era- this one has me MORE OPTIMISTIC than EVER. Period. End of Fr-Eakin story.

Good-bye Marcel, we hardly knew ya, but THANK-YOU for having the COURAGE of your CONVICTIONS to do what was REQUIRED.

Hello to (insert Mitchell puppet name here) - you have MUCH to work with, and BUILD upon ... looking forward to COMMENTING on your progress in the not so distant future.

Peace.

Mitchell is saying that when he want to tweak here and there with marcel's team.

I know it's a contradiction but those are his words.

So if I say Flick will you smash your monitor so we wont have to read your silly caps laced rantings ?

Very true.

I too cannot believe how many here wanted that old 4-14 team that was going absolutley nowhere.

As I reread Mitchell's commetns on how the new GM is expected to field a winning team next year, I can't help but laugh at the prospect of yet another GM firing if we have another losing record.

I'm afraid of Mitchell turning this franchise into more of a joke than it is now.

I believe the "win, or else" attitude is much more riskier than Marcel's deliberate rebuilding approach.

So I take that if Mitchell expects an instant turnaround then he'll fire the GMa et al every year that they lose. Sooner or later somebody's gotta win.

[quote="CaptainKirk"][quote="Meanstreak"][i]As I reread Mitchell's commetns on how the new GM is expected to field a winning team next year, I can't help but laugh at the prospect of yet another GM firing if we have another losing record.

I'm afraid of Mitchell turning this franchise into more of a joke than it is now[/i]. quote]
Thanks goodness Mitchell came to see the light. Desjardins has cost this team so much more $$$$ than even Rob Katz as GM would have cost us. The cash payouts to the multitude of receivers from Anthony Arcenceux to McCants and beyond....I can keep going, has been a disgrace. If Desjardins didn't let 1000 yard receiver Kamau Peterson go for absolutely nothing or even 1200 yard man Flick, we might have had a chance at a decent win ratio and saved a ton of money. (Desjardins left us with no option except to start each game with rookie Canadian receivers.) With Desjardins' foresight we managed to win even less than the year before!! Our defensive secondary is in even more shambles than the year before, with no bright future. (Who could have thought this was possible??? Marcel Desjardins made it happen. Yet former Tiger-Cat defensive backs are starting for Grey Cup contention teams.) I would predict about the same amount of wins next year under Desjardins - 3 to be exact. Desjardins' trades brought in absolutely nothing for the Tiger-Cats future!! His trades only took away from what was already there to build upon. He only brought in future futility, just like he did this season. He made us the absolute disgrace of the CFL again this year even though he was there for most of the season before, giving him time to evaluate and make the right decisions. Thank goodness!!! for Mike McCarthy serving up Moreno and Setta for the Tiger-Cats, and for free agents McKay-Loescher and Armour stating from the outset they wanted to play for a Southern Ontario Team.