Winnipegger AGAINST the Bombers

People in Winnipeg like things just the way they are.

Keeps the undesirables out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dont even get me started on the chipmans and the true north centre.
That little arena is smaller than the old one and was build for political reasons not because we needed it.
The only time Winnipeg ever needed a new Arena was to save the jets. The old barn was a solid building and at 15 556 was bigger than the 15 015 seat MTS centre, but here is the kicker, the old arena could be expanded without raising the roof, the new one cant.
They tore down a 100 year old historic land mark to build that cheap arena for a AHL team small enough to never have the NHL return back to Winnipeg. And even though their were rotting 1 story buildings and empty parking lots all around, they still tore done the 8 story historic Eatons building.
Those deals for that new Arena were made behind closed doors so that the general public and any historic foundation could have their say.

Take a look at the 100 year old building that they tore down.

[url=http://www.archiseek.com/content/attachment.php?attachmentid=1362&stc=1&d=1136507975]http://www.archiseek.com/content/attach ... 1136507975[/url]

Now I hear that they are talking about tearing down the Hudsons Bay Company's historic building. I hope its not true.

but at least the adult theatres on portage are gone

Well Pigseye, then their must be alot of undesirables because many people leave Winnipeg. I myself am doing the best I can to stay.
Now dont get me wrong, I don't hate Winnipeg. I just dont like how its ran and its sad to say that Mayor Sam is running it better than any other mayor ever had.

So is every other street store on Portage Avenue downtown Footballyoubet,lol

If winter would be 2 or 3 months shorter, and mosquitoes would dissappear, not just from the city, I would go back in a heartbeat. Over all quality of life was otherwise much better there than it has become in the lower mainland.

But was it ever paradise here 40 yrs ago, sigh

At least Asper has been an open book to the Winnipeg fans. I want to see this stadium happen.

One thing is for sure, I took away from winnipeg, the best woman manitoba ever produced. :rockin: :cowboy: :thup:

I searched the lower mainland, I searched northern BC, I searched Toronto, I search parts of the meritimes, but none was the one, then there she was, in Manitoba. Any city that can produce a woman like my wife, has to have something going for it.

I am not going to get into a pissing match about this baron.

Winnipeg is a static void (is that even possible ?) has been for the last 30 years. Why would anyone expect it to change now ?

City’s are like restaurants, if you don’t like the menu, there’s another one just down the road, so go eat there.

Cheap? did someone say cheap?? Sign me up!! :rockin:

Well let me give you a example that effects the CFL.
Both the Riders and the Bombers had there share of great attendances. The bombers had several sell outs in a row. Both stadiums in Regina and Winnipeg are ran by their city.
Why is it that Regina had record proffits and Winnipeg had losses even though both teams had great crowd attendance?
Answer this if you will.

That reminds me of an old joke:

"I spent a year in Winnipeg one weekend...."

A few points BB.

Because of the True North centre, Winnipeg is now getting concerts they otherwise would never have received. It wasn't just built for hockey. And as far as the Eaton's building, maybe you should be mad at the Eaton's boys for that...they destroyed the company with their greed. And the building was not suitable for any new construction or other purposes. Fine, it was a historic building but there was no way anyone could make money with it doing anything else and I for one had no interest in pouring in millions of government dollars for the next century just to keep an old building there.

I agree with the fact there are too many traffic lights on Kenaston and the perimeter. Makes no sense to me either.

Taking away a lane downtown? Are you referring to the lane closure to build the True North centre and the Hydro building? If so, that's a construction issue and not permanent.

Riders make more money because they get massive support from the entire province. Bombers have had a tendency to ignore anything outside the perimeter which means they are ignoring a lot of fans. Also, the Riders pay very very little rent on their facility. It is subsidized by the city. Winnipeg's never was.

You complain about a lot but I don't see any suggestions to bring improvements. I personally like the pace of the city. I like the food. I like the diversity. Mosquitoes are in every city on the prairies and are not really any worse in Winnipeg than anywhere else I have lived. People are, for the most part, friendly.

Yeah, there are things to be frustrated with but I think you can find that anywhere. My motto is look for the good stuff and try to make the bad stuff better.

Actually the Eatons tear down/true north deal was done behind closed doors and once the deal was signed, it was to late for the building to be legally saved. Now a developer did submit a proposal to turn the building into something, but it was to late, the deal was done so the city was screwed and we lost that building.
Now as far as the MTS centre getting more concerts and shows, its not because its better, but because its not ran by the city aka Winnipeg Enterprises. Thats why.
Its simply has a more user freindly managment and less red tape.

They took away a lane when they expanded the sidewalks. It used to be 4 lanes, Not it is only 3. 2 for cars, 1 for busses. Which makes it extremly horrible when the light turns red and your in the intersection with no where to move in the bumber to bumber traffic.

You want solutions. Here they are.
Re-locate the CPR lines outside the city and put a express way in its place. The Bridges are already there for the most part and that will direct traffic away from downtown.
The results would be easier traffic flow from one end of the city to the next, plus taking the traffic out of downtown would give downtown back to the people.
Life will actually return to downtown once again if that happened.

Right now downtown is a bottle neck for traffic and a embaracment to the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_Winnipeg

Budgetary constraints over the last three decades has resulted in an aging roadway system that is considered substandard compared to much of North America. Winnipeg is behind virtually all major metropolitan centres when it comes to adopted standards for road maintenance, grade separations, interchanges, road markings, traffic signals, construction zone traffic safety systems and general signage. Recently, this infrastructure deficit has reached crisis proportions prompting the city council to increase the infrastructure budget.

Geeze BB
You seem to think Winnipeg is the only city with problems

No RO, I think there are alot of cities with problems, but what makes Winnipeg unique is that our problems are self inflicted.
Winnipegers shoot themselfs in the foot.
Winnipeg goes backwards to solve there problems. Calgary for example tries to expand their roads and bridges to try meet their growing traffic issues, Winnipeg adds more red lights and takes away lanes and restricts traffic flow.
See where I am getting at.
I do not mind the cold. I am not even bothered by the bugs. I have alot of great freinds here in Winnipeg. But what pisses me off are the people behind the planning this city.
Winnipeg used to be bigger than Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa. Now We are smaller than Hamilton and Quebec city.
Winnipeg is the murder Capital of Canada, lets not forget that.
Now you see the hurdles that Asper has to deal with? Aspers plan is a no brainer yet he has a long road ahead of him simply because the City of Winnipeg would rather take a backwards approach.

Agreed Ro, the City of Calgary is slowly catching up but have over 2 billion dollar deficit to the road network (over and above of what they are doing today) and Transportation. Each and every city has only so much to spend on projects. The city of Winnipeg is only doing what it can afford. Traffic lights are the cheap way to go about it. Every city is restricting traffic flow through communities (traffic calming). Maybe it is time to go after your province ofr more money for road projects instead of new stadiums.

AS opposed to everyone else who import’s their problems?

I live in small city, one that is actually shrinking in population. We do have a ton of traffic lights for this city's size. Our big problem is one of location- you can drive to Regina and be there in a little over half an hour. Our other problem we cant seem to attract business to set up here because Regina is so close.

Two of the CFL's sponsors- Rona and Wendy's, do not have stores in Moose Jaw. IMO, its becasue we are so close. There are other businesses, such as Home Depot, Chapters and others that dont feel the need to set up here. We dont have a Starbucks, but that will change, the Safeway downtown is expanding, and a Starbucks will part of the expansion. I believe that stores like Rona and Wendy's have the mistaken belief that MJ cannot support the stores if they set up here, but I do believe that they would do well, just for the fact that they would offer a different choice for customers.

BB, there are different problems for different cities, no matter how big or small they happen to be. Its not just Winnipeg that has "problems".

Exactly!
No matter where you go, there are problems.
Every city has traffic light problems pothole problems and infrastructure problems.

Come live in Montreal and you will prob call Winnigeg a paradise!