Winnipeg Free Press

As classless as the Spec is....I love the fact that we have a little rivalry burning with Winnipeg. That last game of the year in the Hammer actually has some appeal now.

I don't get it...why get personal about the cities? Makes no sense to me. We're all proud of where we come from (in my case the 'Peg) and I'm sure Hamilton is a great place to live as well. I'm all for a good football rivalry - but let's keep it about the teams and the play on the field. I'll be at the game tomorrow cheering on the Blue and hope this city bashing ends soon. Just my two cents for what it's worth. :wink:

yeah, who really cares about winnipeg?
why don't we all just gang up on toronto? that should make everyone feel better.

Interesting!

Winnipeg is a pretty tough city, with many of the same sort of one way streets and dead downtown issues that Hamilton has.

The next three air line serviced sites are Regina (about 3 hours), Saskatoon, (about 6 hours) and Thunder Bay (about seven hours).

Apparently, the aim in Wpg is to take down Canad Inn stadium, in order to expand Polo Park Mall, which will undoubtably be of major use to the downtown core, and relocate it to some far point of the west end of Wpg, where there will be "ample" parking, though who knows at what cost, let alone access to hotels, or the effect on the fan base.

I'm hardly proud that the Spec would writesomething like this, but the Free Press is no great shine when it comes to writing derogatory pieces, either.

Hamilton is an enormously older city than Winnipeg, has infrastructure problems that are difficult to compare cities fairly.

If Mr Brown wants references to great restaurants in Hamilton, I can vouch for several...there are great eats in the Peg, but they are serious taxi money apart, too...

I would rather watch the Bombers defeat the Als to represent the east in the Grey Cup than live in Winnipeg.
That pee stench was actually left behind by Brazzell . He sure can leave a stink.

The reaction to this has been a little surreal.

When did people start critically analyzing the content of goofy trash talk between sports rivals?

As clumsy as the inital Spec pullout may have been, I think a lot of people got "punk'd" on this one.

My jaw’s on the floor here. The Spec is as far right as you can get, except for it’s pro-union stance with regard to Stelco. Are we reading the same paper!?!

While I am a big fan of the Field Turf they have installed at Ivor Wynne (as it is almost identical to ours), I noticed something in the second half of last week's game that was a little disappointing. I'm not sure if the conditions were conveyed accurately through the television broadcast or not, but it was dark on the field -- as in there wasn't as much lighting as there should have been. Since our offence decided to hog all the time of possession, I actually had a chance to look at the four lighting poles responsible for illuminating the field. Each pole holds 40 bulbs and in the fourth quarter I actually counted only 13 out of 40 bulbs working on one lighting pole, and about half on another.
He's dead on about the darkness in Ivor, its too dark in there, i think it was Flick that mentioned it before on the old site.

It has improved but not by that much, The screen is overpowering but the biggest reason is the turf, the old turf was bright and reflected better than the dark green and black pelleted turf we have now.

This does need to get looked at, thats 2 players and many fans that have noticed this… go to any other stadium and you will certainly notice the difference.

I agree with Mr. Brown. The player facilities need to be improved. I say in the off season, tear down the whole east endzones and rebuild them with proper facilities and bring the seats up to the level of the rest of the 'bowl' ie increase seating capacity in the endzones. Fix the LIGHTS!!! But the other stuff, naw.....Hamilton has a lot to be proud of.....it is a great place. I wish I had a good job there so I could come home.

AMEN, WILLY. I couldn’t have said that better. I live in one of the most beautiful places on the earth, and I miss Hamilton DAILY. When I watch the broadcasts of Hamilton home games, and they pan over Ivor Wynne and the city beyond, I tear up without fail.

No matter what, your home is like your family: it may be weird, sometimes hard to live with, and quirky, but you love it. And Hamilton has a lot of things to love about it.

I’d Rather be 1-6 than from Winnipeg.

DUMP.

Hell, I’d rather 0-18.

Dude, it’s owned by TorStar. The two papers are only to the right of Pravda. I wouldn’t wrap Manitoba catfish in either of them.

here guys.... something I wrote to the free press of whinnerpeg this morning

Good Morning,

I went on the Ticats website to see a Winnipeger put on our site about an article in your paper about Hamilton and frankly dissing our city and team and stadium. I am a long time Ticat Fan and lived in Hamilton all my 25 years and frankly I was disgusted. Here is a few points that maybe you all should consider before knocking our city.

1. Our Airport is small but most MLB, NHL and CFL teams (including the ARGOS) like to use our airport cause of it being low key and very nice to leave out of.

2. Saying we have poor lighting at our stadium is very untrue, we have 8 light poles and about 350 lights are working at the stadium.

3. Yes we have a some open stores downtown.... but our downtown core is great and alive everyday and frankly calling it a ghost town is very very very untrue and to say he has to pay $10 cab ride to a keg maybe he should consider taking the bus.

4. To say the Locker rooms smell like urine, maybe he should consider going into them again as I am a high school ref and every locker room I been in at IVOR WYNNE has been cleaned and smells nice and also he should consider it is an old stadium (actually the Oldest Stadium in the CFL)

5. Lastly, if he wants to consider knocking our city and maybe going out of Toronto to take a flight, well good ridiance and I HOPE to hell he never comes back into our city or maybe any winnipeger who wants to knock this city, this is my Home and will always be my home and frankly, from all the fans on the site that responded, they do not like his comments and have said goodbye and never come back and that is what i say too.

Well those are my comments and I think we deserve an apology on the TICAT website as we have never dissed your city and will never comment on how bad the stadium is, just comment on what the game was like. I been to Winnipeg once for about 3 hours waiting for a flight back to Hamilton and I think it is a great city and I would recommend Winnipeg to anyone.

Thank You
Tom Utter
8 Year Season Ticket Holder for the Ticats

People think I’m crazy when I tell them I miss Hamilton–I, too, watch the games on TV and wish I could be sitting in Ivor Wynne.

If you had such a crybaby issue with it why not TAKE IT UP WITH THE SPECTATOR!!!.. they have an email you can send complaints to… but NOOOOOO… the “classy” thing to do was bash Hamilton back, you guys act worse than my kids… the Spec DOES NOT speak for it’s citizens, save for the few that actually held up that sign and we have to admit ALL cities have a couple of dumba$$es in them… give it up already!!

I've travelled through Winnepeg a few times.
Nice people,very friendly and tough too.

Once had my tent trailer fixed there ,welders were laughing that the steel came from Hamilton and was going back.

Nice folks.Two cities are about the same to me as far as attractiveness ,although RCMP in Winnipeg are as Red neck as they come,IMO....of course I had issues with them in Winnepegs airport...ahemm

The Spec . started a urine fight with a skunk and everyone stinks.Thanks alot! :cowboy:

So lack of class by our newspaper sparks an equally lack of class response by one of your players. Hmmmm… I don’t see any classless Ticat players around. Do the Blue Bombers have a monopoly on classless players in the CFL?

I would rather live in Hamilton than Winnipeg.
I would rather live in Hamilton than Toronto, mind you for different reasons.

The Spec pull out was lame, very lame. If it ticked off a few athletes, that is also lame.

I would rather be 1-10 than be from Winnipeg, that doesn't mean it makes a good slogan.

The spec has no class, Doug Brown has no class. Let's move on.

I just hope we win tonight, let's hope Devonte can closeline somebody again and light a fire under this team. The cats need to play with some heart, some intensity and some sense of urgency, then and only then will they have a chance to win. We definately have the talent to win, we just need the fire in the players to come out to make it happen.

On a side note, i'm not assuming I know enough about defense to tell coach Reid what to do, however, for the love of all that is black and gold can we please double team Stegall? letting him run free in zone coverage all game is painfull to watch as a ti-cat fan. Put a linebacker on underneath coverage and a DB over the top and make Glenn thread the needle to get him the ball, please no more wide open passes in the slot with a DB in chase mode.....please.

Kinda funny thread...But truths to the article by oug Brown.

As a former player I can attest to the poor lighting in Ivor as well as the stuff mentioned about the locker room..Doubt it if you want as fans of your team u may...but it has a lot of truths. I have had the "privledge" of being a visitor in the Winnipeg Stadium locker as well a few years back...and it sucked as well...but it has been fixed since then...so both places were guilty of same thing...just one has been corrected.

Lived in Winnipeg...Sothern California and Missouri and T.O and frequented Hamilton often...As much as you may disagree on what I say but Winnipeg as a whole package weighed in with all the pro's and con's and what each city offered comes out ahead. This comes from players current and past as well as players from "other" leagues I know who have came to visit me where I happened to be.
It always came back to "when you gonna be back in Winnipeg?" as it was the prefferd place to chill and be...with all things considered. May be hard to take for people from your area...but don't blame ya...pride in your city is what makes a city great and proud...The only real negative I see is the smog and pollution..out west it is basically a non issue..

So there is my take on things..and that is coming out of the mouths of people who been to all places mentioned above and their opinions

I don't get it...why get personal about the cities? Makes no sense to me. We're all proud of where we come from (in my case the 'Peg) and I'm sure Hamilton is a great place to live as well. I'm all for a good football rivalry - but let's keep it about the teams and the play on the field.
Good point! Both cities have their good and bad points.

Let’s stick to the traditional way of building up a rivalry - bash the opposing team’s fans and their players.

So here goes:

Winnipeg’s a great city. It’s too bad that a bunch of ignorant, snowball throwing Bomber fans live there and spoil everything.

And, how about those arrogant players. All that rediculous endzone dancing no matter if they are up by 30 points or down by 30 points. Disgusting.

There. I feel better now. I hope the Little Ball of Hate explodes through some Bombers tonite.