Williams settlement

Wow ! He won’t even say that he would commit to the agreement. Amazing ! CFL is made to look SO BUSH !

Totally agree. While I don’t like how he handled the situation, I would love to see him back with the Ticats.

And yes, this is a good deal for the Ticats. Without this settlement, we were guaranteed that he wouldn’t be back. At least ow, there’s a chance that we see him sometime next season.

Basically, he is now under a new two-year contract, but still suspended until he comes back. Two questions. First, does the new contract come with an increase in salary? Second, could he be drafted by Ottawa this winter? (Not that they would.)

After listening to the interview I want him back even less now.

I don’t think we’ll ever see Williams in a Ticats uniform again. And he could have used a little more coaching from his lawyer. An answer like “that’s what’s on paper” in response to the question of returning to Hamilton could be interpreted to mean he’s not entering the agreement in good faith. Regardless of his intentions, an answer like “the settlement speaks for itself” would have been wiser. His answers also make it sound like he definitely received interest from one or more NFL teams prior to the 2013 season, regardless of whether he currently has a handshake deal with any team.

Nothing personal against Chris, but I don’t think his answers are going to endear him to any disgruntled Hamilton fans, even though he expressed gratitude over his time in Hamilton. The non-answers to certain questions spoke volumes. He probably would have been smarter not to give the interview at all, but give him credit personally for having the guts to do it. And I can see how some sort of gesture to the Hamilton fans after the long silence might help unburn the bridge a little in case he’s forced to return in 2014.

Don't forget that it was the CFL players association that was on Williams side and battled for this. His agent/lawyer fought this thing and I'm sure that CW just followed advice from the CFLPA and his lawyer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=433268

Agreed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ticats trade the rights to Chris; KA's comments as to what Chris would have to do before rejoining the team at practice I suspect are too much for his (Chris's) ego.

Just the same, I wish him well in the NFL, but if doesn't work out, I'd welcome him back.

If he does make an NFL team, O will watch that team's games - Chris is that exciting and a potential game-changer every time he touches the ball.

Just Amazing, they just reached an agreement, why not six months ago? I guess the new agent for Chris Williams has some interest in the NFL to sign the guy now and the Cats were just holding up his potential salary earnings? I guess with the way this ended more players will look to do the same with their CFL contracts and split for the NFL.

He sounded like an arrogant little piss pot if you ask me,hope he gets a helmet that will fit that ego inflated melon of his.

:thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

To me he mostly sounded nervous. Nervous and guarded, though probably not guarded enough for his own good.

Interesting, agree with Glovesave while at the same time I can say like Hf is that it makes the CFL look "bush" (and so did the Leafs/Habs game last night and maybe moreso with Parros fighting thingy, and the Kessel swing your stick thingy, and the Phoenix $20 and a dog and drink for a "major league" game, MLB and overlooking roids for McGuire, and the fact MLS uses the term "major league" for their name etc...) So who really cares I would say.

Bottom line is they came to an agreement and that is that, whether Cohon pushed for the agreement, who knows, and does it matter?

And it could also be argued any pro sports league is "bush" that signs guys to contracts that have a difficult time spelling their name ie. let me go worship a guy because he can shoot a slap shot, dunk a basketball, run with a football or catch a white ball in a glove and still has a difficult time spelling his name. And in some leagues signing guys for huge cash. Bush extraordinaire in that case, or just plain dumb.

Don't understand why they could not have come to this agreement months ago. You can tell he is not coming back when he makes a statement like " that is what is on paper". What a sad end to what was looking like a promising ticats career for many years.

A little more information or perspective from Drew Edwards,

Apparently If Williams comes back in 2014 a contract has already been agreed upon!

" At the very least, Williams' rights – the contract terms have already been agreed to – would be attractive to every other CFL team should the Ticats chose to deal him."

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com

Chris Williams has been looking after his own best interests. The lifespan of a football player is short...so he wants to maximize his opportunities to make money.
It has paid off for him in his "agreement".....which means all sides are going along with it.
So I wish him luck. He is an exciting player. I see him as another Darren Sproles and guys like him are very few and far between. So he could be in demand in the NFL.
If not....then I would be very happy to see him as a Tiger-Cat again.

I'd be willing to take him back, but because of this past 'incident' he'd be on thin ice, at least to start. If he's willing to just shut up and do his job, I'm willing to forgive him after a while but this is only the first step in a long process to heal some wounds.

If he comes back, trade him to Winnipeg for a DB or a D.Lineman

I’m sure he would LOVE to play there!!! Might as well sign with the Jaguars in the NFL…same difference :stuck_out_tongue:

Not his choice, if he comes crawling back and gets traded and wants to play, he plays where his rights are.

I would love too Williams back, playing for the TiCats. They really miss his speed and talent.

I just don't get what the TiCats get out of this deal.What was their motivation to let him try the NFL now?

I honestly think it’s trying to get something out of nothing. They know he’s not coming back. They offer full release for him to sign in the NFL now, in week 5, so he can start getting paid, in return for his CFL rights. He’s not coming back to hurt them in the CFL this year, Then they can trade his rights for something … a neg list name at most next year.

This recent transaction/settlement has basically made him a neg list name … It’s like putting Tebow or Vince Young or Tyrell Prior or RG3 on your neg list … Trade the name for another or lump in with a trade and hope that what you get back is tangible.