William Mayfield Recognized in U.S. Senate Resolution

On January 12, 2007, the U.S. Senate passed a resolution congratulating the Appalachian State football team for winning the Division 1AA National Championship. The resolution also acknowledges the accomplishment of new Ticat receiver William Mayfield who had more than 1,000 receiving yards for Appalachian State during the 2006 regular season:

"Press Releases

SENATE APPROVES DOLE, BURR RESOLUTION COMMENDING APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY’S NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

January 12th, 2007 - Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senators Elizabeth Dole and Richard Burr today applauded Senate approval of a resolution they introduced commending the Appalachian State University football team for winning the 2006 National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I-AA Football Championship.

Text of the resolution is below:

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

RESOLUTION

Commending the Appalachian State University football team for winning the 2006 National Collegiate Athletic Association Division (NCAA) I-AA Football Championship.

Whereas on December 15, 2006, the Appalachian State University Mountaineers defeated the University of Massachusetts Minutemen by a score of 28-17, to win the 2006 National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I-AA Football Championship;

Whereas the Mountaineers were successful due to the leadership of Coach Jerry Moore, and in great part to the spectacular play of Most Valuable Player Kevin Richardson who scored all four touchdowns, and to Corey Lynch whose fourth quarter interception helped seal the victory;

Whereas the championship victory was the pinnacle of a remarkable season for the Mountaineers, who ended the season with a 14-1 record;

Whereas the Mountaineer offense was led by Southern Conference Freshman of the Year Armanti Edwards, who rushed for over 1,000 yards and passed for over 2,000 yards, and accounted for thirty touchdowns in his first season;

Whereas the success of the Mountaineer offense is attributed to Kevin Richardson who rushed for over 1,000 yards, William Mayfield who had over 1,000 yards receiving, and the impenetrable offensive line who made it possible for those amazing statistics to occur;

Whereas the intimidating Mountaineer defense was led by Marques Murell, Jeremy Wiggins, Monte Smith, and Corey Lynch;

Whereas the Mountaineers were undefeated in conference games and are the champions of the Southern Conference for the second year in a row;

Whereas Appalachian State University affirmed its position as a dominant football program by securing its second consecutive national championship;

Whereas, in 2005, Appalachian State University became the first team from North Carolina to win an NCAA football championship with a 21-16 victory over Northern Iowa;

Whereas the members of the 2006 Appalachian State University football team are excellent representatives of a fine university that is a leader in higher education, producing many fine student-athletes and other leaders;

Whereas the Mountaineers showed tremendous dedication to each other, appreciation to their fans, sportsmanship to their opponents, and respect for the game of football throughout the 2006 season, and

Whereas residents of the Old North State and Appalachian State fans everywhere are to be commended for their long-standing support, perseverance, and pride in the team:

Now, therefore, be it
Resolved, That the Senate—

(1) commends the champion Appalachian State University Mountaineers for their historic win in the 2006 National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I-AA Football Championship;

(2) recognizes the achievements of the players, coaches, students, alumni, and support staff who were instrumental in helping Appalachian State University win the championship; and

(3) directs the Secretary of the Senate to transmit copies of this resolution to Appalachian State University Chancellor Kenneth Peacock and head coach Jerry Moore for appropriate display."

Congratulations to William Mayfield and good luck at Ticat training camp this year!

And you can click here for the press release on this. Finding information on one of the players trying to make the team on what appears to be Elizabeth Dole's website was interesting and certainly unexpected.

Anyway, I wonder if those ASU fans who have posted here about Richie Williams will have anything to say about Mayfield.

TCTD: Thanks for printing the press release. It makes me feel quite hopeful that Mayfield along with some others are going to give the TiCats a pretty good receiving team this year.

I'm optimistic that a guy like Mayberry will continue where he left off at Appalachian State.
Hopefully, he and several other receivers will show their wares at training camp and help make this Hamilton team one to be reckoned with

We had Pretty Good Lucky Appalachian State Players

Ritchie Willams & Former Ticat Wayne Smith.

Good read. I just hope our receivers all want to fight for the ball and demand it's their's. Make the area where the ball is thrown to "their zone", if you will. Like going after the puck hard in the corners (my goodness, even Alfie is getting on this one) or rebounding in basketball type thing.