Will the new UFL (United Football League) take players away?

Will the new UFL (United Football League) take players away from the CFL? This league might actually have a chance to survive(ie merge with NFL). The teams will be in cities without an NFL team like L.A., San Antonio, Mexico City, etc. The league will be able to lure NFL 2nd rounders to the league with higher salaries. What do you guys think? article is below

[url=http://www.huliq.com/23180/the-new-york-times-sports-magazine-breaks-united-football-league-story]http://www.huliq.com/23180/the-new-york ... ague-story[/url]

PLAY: The New York Times Sports Magazine reports in its June 3 issue that Wall Streeter Bill Hambrecht and Google executive Tim Armstrong are launching a professional football league, called United Football League (UFL) to compete with the N.F.L., and have lined up billionaire Mark Cuban as their first team owner.

In an exclusive column, Joe Nocera writes that the new United Football League aims to line up seven more owners “with Cuban’s deep pockets and contrarian mindset? so that it can debut with eight teams. Right now, the league is scheduled to play its first pre-season games in August, 2008.

Cuban owns the N.B.A.’s Dallas Mavericks. Undaunted by the monopolistic N.F.L., which has squashed four competitors, he tells Nocera, “There are quite a few good-sized non-N.F.L. cities that can support a pro team.? So far, the league has picked Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Mexico City. San Antonio and Orlando are among other top markets without N.F.L. teams.

According to United Football League executives, Nocera reports, the new league will emulate the old American Football League – one of whose major characteristics was revenue sharing. Each owner will put up $30 million, worth a half-interest in a team; the league will own the other half. Eventually, the plan envisions that fans will become stakeholders – because each team will sell shares to the public to raise an average of $60 million per franchise. Public ownership will reduce the pricing pressure on the teams, resulting in cheaper tickets all around.

Officials are convinced they can land decent players from the get-go, and better players later on. “The U.F.L. will be able to offer most rookies, who aren’t top draft choices, far more money than the N.F.L. would give them,? Nocera writes.

Officials are convinced they can land decent players from the get-go, and better players later on. “The U.F.L. will be able to offer most rookies, who aren’t top draft choices, [b]far more money than the N.F.L. would give them,[/b]? Nocera writes.
Sounds like they will go broke real fast!

The was big talk about the XFL killing the CFL. Look who died and who survived!

USFL, XFL and now the UFL which hasn't even started. What ever became of the College Football League?
The bottom line is how there is a grave yard full of ex leagues.
While the CFL continues and long live the CFL.

I think there's a reason the NFL put their feeder league in Europe. They didn't think a feeder league would survive in non-NFL american cities, even with cooperation between both leagues.

If that's the case, how on earth could the two leagues coexist while COMPETING!?!

No one's gonna buy shares in the teams, no new owners are gonna step up. My bet is this poor kid's gonna be stillborn.

So this league is going to give more money.. how?

by my understanding the NFL league min is 450K, second round draft picks earn above that.

So unless this new league is going to give garanteed Contracts of say 450K they will need to give football style contracts of up to 1M per year.

say a Roster of 40-45 players that is alot of money per team.
18M per team in order to offer = to the NFL on a per team basis.

The XFL died, how long until this league dies or rolls back it's salaries to such a level that it is equal or offers less $$ then the CFL.
The league is marked for failure but it will be good for the CFL, alot of players will go to the league, none that are top level CFL players especially considering most will be under contract.

After the league dies in 1-2 years there will be what? 8 teams worth of players for CFL GM's to bring in, including QB's that got Game Reps.

london pikeman pfff wtf?

Don't be dissin' the Pikemen, they'll be in your town beating the crap out of your favourite football team in 2012, you'll see! :slight_smile:

the NFL needs competition, the only chance of that is the CFL.

Right now the CFL is getting everything in order, but the last league to actually compete against the NFL is the CFL. if the CFL can get a half decent TV deal(just half what Canadian Media gives to the NHL) the CFL can give some competition.

It would be for late picks/undrafted guys. but hey atleast the CFL would thrive.

in 5 years the CFL salary cap could easily be at 6-7M

hehe, give the CFL a NHL-Canada sized TV deal and the CFL will actually provide competition for the NFL, no more top QB's getting stolen unless their offered huge contracts.

The NFL does not look at the CFL as competition in any way, shape or form. The NFL does enjoy is relationship with the CFL.
In fact, the NFL loves having the CFL around to compete with any new league that goes after the NFL.
My thoughts on the UFL, well if they can get more billionairs to back them up, then it may work.

I think they AFL has 10000000x more to worry about than the CFL does as far as the quality of players and strength of the league is concerned.

True Barons, now.

But just over a decade ago the CFL stole a NFL 1st round draft pick.

the CFL is the only league IMO that has a chance to again compete with the NFL.
Don't get me wrong though, it is unlikely.

Somehow the CFL needs to get a salary cap of 10M per team+ in order to be able and compete for some NFL players.

However it would be a case of CFL markee players being the ones who earn as much as a NFL Rookie.

10M cap = CFL markee player gets ~500K CAD(up to 600K), QB's getting up to 1M, Player Min 80-100K

I DO REALIZE HOW HARD IT WOULD BE TO GET THE CAP SO HIGH

lol, only way it's really possible is if in 5 years the TV contract goes from 16M(2M per team) to 80M.

lol, or of course if the CFL gets 4-5 new stadiums with high end seating equal to the Rogers center, Cheap Leases and the Business Community stepping up and paying double what is currently paid for boxes/club seats and selling out them every year... haha not happening.
Along with every team getting 30K+ per game, cheapest league seats of 20$.
or league sponsorship(other then TV) goes crazy too and the league starts getting huge $$ there.

It's possible, for some reason people figure that it makes more sense to pay 6* as much to market for a NHL game, to market to twice the audience...?

To answer the first question: yes. The CFL and the UFL will be sharing the same talent pool. However, if the UFL plans on trying to lure players from the second round and on, that is good for the CFL. The more the UFL tries to compete with the NFL, by throwing loads of cash around, the more likely it is that they will fold. It just can not be sustained. I love it when new leagues come around and think that, that, is how to do it. Hehe…they will never learn. Once they fold, we get the talent pool to ourselves again. (Excluding the NFL, of course.)

The CFL is a Canadian game and THAT is why it has survived 100 years. (give or take…)

I do hope, however, that the UFL can produce some quality QB’s for the CFL to take when they die.

:lol:

Good points argom and dumont. I think going head to head with the NFL is suicide for this new league. Mark Cuban does have lots of money to throw around (but so did Vince McMahon) but I don't think the American public will by into anything other than the NFL. I think they would have had a better chance in the spring than competing head to head.

The CFL will continue to survive. Having the Import rule is probably one of the reasons it can. Yes, there may be some competition for import players, but there are a lot of colleges down there churning them out. There will be plenty for everyone. You just have to draft smartly and do your homework!

I THINK IF THIS LEAGUE PLAYS GAMES IN THE SPRING IT WILL HURT THE CFL IN ALOT OF WAYS IT WOULD KILL THE CFL BASE AND FORCE IT TO RIDE ITSELF OF THE IMPORT RULE BECAUSE THEY WILL HAVE TO REACH LOWER INTO NCAA RANKS TO GET PLAYERS TO BE HONEST WITH ALOWE SALARY BASE AS IT IS THIS COULD HURT THE CFL WHAT IF THIS LEAGUE TRIES TO PUT A TEAM IN CANADA..........NOW THAT FOOD FOR THOUGHT.......

IT WILL BE HARD FOR THE CFL TO COMPETE WITH THE NFL UNLESS THE CFL DROPS IT IMPORT RULES

We are NOT trying compete with the NFL you idiot. A lot of so called CFL killer leagues have come and gone- WLAF, USFL, XFL even the Arena league hasnt killed the CFL. Nice try, but the CFL will be here long after the UFL has ceased to exist. Most of these leagues kill themselves, but OUR league survives. The fact that this league survives should tell you something , sandummyohiobro.

Valium sambo, valium!

This guy is getting you all worked up. He hasn’t a clue on how Caps lock works let alone on how the CFL works. I would comment on the intelligent debates on the topic and let this 4 year old talk to himself.

Sorry, just letting out a bit of frustration...its all good :cowboy:

....are you serious?

Hey genius, if the pool of american players got collectively worse, why on earth would we abolish the import rule in order to get more of them? If anything, a lower quality american pool will increase the importance of Canadian players, possibly to the point where the import rule becomes non-binding. Teams might carry a percentage of Canadians greater than half of their own free will.

Good point dumont. Actually, I remember a few years ago one of the CFL teams had an abundance of good Canadian talent that they actually dressed an extra Canadian and were short 1 import for about 3 or 4 games. (I wish I could remember which team. I'm leaning towards saying it was Edmonton or even BC)