Will Ford

It's official

[url=http://www.riderville.com/article/riders-sign-running-back-will-ford]http://www.riderville.com/article/rider ... -will-ford[/url]

Cool I suppose,, cant hurt availability-wise ... but at some point soon I think that it is important that staff shows trust in somebody, and go forward with that trust...... unless this all is just a smoke deal with inside info that Sheets may end up available... and then Sheets ends up in the 'peg ... lr Edmonton

Right now looking around the CFL the Riders is likely the best situation for Sheets with the Riders by far having the biggest question at RB. Plus he is also comfortable and has thrived with the offense that returns the same strong Oline and QB. So as the changes go in Regina those spots have stayed the same and still strong with the same OC as well.
Bombers so far look confident and strong with Grigsby and Cotton.
Whitaker began to pick up the pace with Montreal in week 3. In week 4 he and the rest of the Alouettes looked pretty bad so probably not the best game to evaluate especially with the long history of problems in BC. Sutton also has not weighed in.
EDM another team coming to the season without a for sure RB like WIN has had white perform of late.
TOR also has played some musical RBs but all have looked positive and Sheets would need to learn a particular difficult offense.

These situations as well as injuries from teams who are set could play a part if or when Sheets should come available.

I agree that sometime soon that both the production and trust in a RB or a dual RB situation needs to begin to happen.

Interesting news out of Calgary about Cornish being on the 6 game list. If he is out that long and if there is any question about him being gone for longer and Sheets becomes available would the Stamps show any interest. I`m sure Huff would love nothing more then to stick it to the Riders but at what cost. Although its no secret that there is no love loss between Sheets and Cornish so I cant see both being on the same team as its obvious if Cornish did come back neither he nor Sheets would want to be the second back. Still it does make things interesting

The Stamps have kept Martell Mallet around. Who knows how good he can be after the serious injury that knocked Hamilton into some disaray two years ago.
The fact that Huf has kept him around would point that he has confidence that he is back to being up to standard again and that he is the insurance policy should Cornish indeed go down for a long period. Could be another game to see if Walter and Snaders can combine to be a successful duo while still holding their import roles on teams.

I can't see Sheets playing behind Cornish. It is the reason why Ford came here instead, he gets a chance to be a starter, pro all his first game here and he will play. If he fumbles let's see what Chaimblin does if that happens.

A bit surprised to see him at the top of the depth chart. Curious to see if that is just a smoke screen to through the Riders off wondering if he will start, get most of the Carries, be part of a more organized two back system?

I'd still like to see Toston get his shot!!

I agree he’s been in camp the longest so he should have a pretty good handle on the play book. Not sure why the hesitation to give him a shot.

Heard he was in the doghouse for showing up 45 mins late to practice

Well that I assume happened this week? What about the other 3 games?

I didnt here of that one. If that is the case it certainly would be a negative for him. The big picture with Tosten is that he is likely just not up to standards just yet. He certainly had some highlight reel plays in the pre season but that may not paint the whole picture. With him being on the practice roster would suggest the coaches he is close but needs some more seasoning. For Tosten he sticking around on the PR would suggest that he has accepted that and is going along with what his status is and where it will be going.

No I think it happened earlier in the season

While being late for practice sometime earlier in the season is water under the bridge right now. Doubt it has anything with Tostin not being in the lineup. Still likely he is just a player who is not quite ready to hit the field on game day yet.
Many many many players are on the PRs in the similar situation.

Might be a little premature…but we may have found our man :slight_smile:

Lets hope ! Then we can concentrate on solidifying our receiver corps

Just wait until his game conditioning improves

Very solid performance by Ford with the 3 td's a missed blocking assignment or two but heck only three practices that is to be expected. Most importantly he held onto the rock and shows if you give him some daylight he can motor. I agree so far so good and yes it would be so nice to have the revolving door of backs stop spinning around.

I don't know if it really matters who we have as our back. All of the guys that have started have looked capable enough, just need someone who doesn't have fumblitus. We have a great O-line, I may even be able to get a 3 yard average with those guys blocking for me :slight_smile:

I agree fully. After week 1 Allen had 150 rushing yards and 1 fumble that was forgiven in tough conditions… Rider Nation was hailing him as our new hero! So hopefully Ford can go out and have a good game 2 with the Riders, cause we all know what Allen did in his second start!

In the end, you need someone who doesn’t fumble, and can give the QB protection on pass rush. I think an Allen/Ford combination will work nicely. After the Toronto game, it looks like Ford has good speed and can hit holes quick. Allen can be more of the pound and grind guy when those circumstances are required.

The coaching staff just has to settle on who it’s going to be, and give them time to learn the offensive system. And that should pay dividends later in the season for a grey Cup push