Will Chris Jones BAIL? AGAIN?

Jones, the new Edmonton Elk head coach tried to show the image of calm while repeatedly swearing into his headset last nite as the Elks were severely damaged by a resurgent BC Lions squad, inspired by an unprecedented pre-game concert by supergroup One Republic.

Begs the question of why the tall foreheads in Edmonton hired Jones dude in the first place? Pretty obvious players don't want to play for this guy. He's a dictator, pure ;n simple.

At this point Jones is reviewing his guaranteed coaching contract to see when the best opportunity to bolt the Elkimopes might be. After 3 losses? 5? 6?

One thing is sure. Things sure do not look pleasant in Northern Alberta.
The other thing! Why Chris Jones keeps getting head coaching opportunities. He's a dud. A loser. A hater. A mean cuss.

8 Likes

The Evil Empire looks far more than a few key positions away from being anywhere near a good team... Not to mention the QB spot is as much as vacant right now.
And yes we all know Jones will bolt yet again at the first opportunity he gets for more $$ any where any time any place. If he did not wear out his welcome in Edmonton it is likely he not done so anywhere else...So the golden spot is, Jones WILL improve this EE team because he is good...BUT that only means he will be moving on shortly after making the team better.

2 Likes

Bang on Lyle!!! Nothing better than seeing that stupid face squinting and looking like the kid in "Deliverance" as his team was getting pounded. Can't believe he actually shook hands with Campbell at game's end instead of his usual little wave to the opposing coach. Feel sorry for the Edmonton fans who really don't deserve this.

Great question tho', when will he bail? Is there any photographic evidence of Jonesy wearing anything other than all black?

3 Likes

The saddest sight from last nite's steam-rolling of the Edmonton Football Club was recent star acquisition Kenny Lawler, in a 1st half close-up, realizing this was what his life comes down to. Playing for a mean cuss like Jones. Always thought Edmonton was a great community team. But a guy like Hiss Jones sucks all the community out of a significant community asset. Kenny Lawler knew this. Now more are coming to realize what Mr. Jones is always up to.

In a phrase - Jones is UP TO NO GOOD

4 Likes

Lawler went for the money, which is his right. He is now reaping what he sowed.

I haven’t followed Jones nearly as closely as some others in this forum, but it seems to me he is overrated. I know he won a Cup early as a head coach, but he doesn’t seem to have done much since except flit around from team to team. Perhaps he has small man syndrome.

I also recognize that he inherited a mess in Edmonton, but with seemingly nowhere to go but up, he has managed to go down it would seem.

2 Likes

Agreed, Lawler had the look of why did agree to play for this man. Especially after having a great players coach when he was a Bomber.

2 Likes

well he also has no quarterback… nor an O line or a D line… The first three basics needed to succeed. Other pieces are required to be great but a team that does not have the first three mentioned are doomed before the game even begins

1 Like

True, but it’s hard to know how good a QB is without an O line. Posters in the Hamilton forum are lamenting their O line. Was Dane Evans bad or was it the line in front of him? Is Masoli that much better or is his line that much better? I think we’ll need a bit more time to evaluate all, but I’ll go out on a limb and say that Edmonton is done for the year.

4 Likes

Kenny Lawler reportedly got $14 to $18k more to play in Alberta. Plus, a significant housing, food & travel allowance (which is not covered by the salary cap, just the team coffers)

3 Likes

The look will soon disappear when he realizes they still got to pay me until they release me. He will soon be packing it in on the season just like Derel Walker did last year.

1 Like

Well all is not yet quite lost, yet just like that in merely the first game, the exit doors stage right have been unlocked and hinges lubricated, so as to open quietly and effortlessly, as they've reviewed and verified the signals for the curtains and lights with the stagehands.

The guy playing the axeman is sharpening up his trusty axe early.

3 Likes

Rumor is Wally Buono did not recommend C.J. after being hired to make a recommendation.

3 Likes

He might bail, but I'd guess he'll be there for a couple seasons. People also forget that in his first season in Sask they were 5-13 and not very good. They were good the next couple seasons. I wouldn't rush to a crazy judgement based on a single game.

3 Likes

I agree in general here, but the clock is already ticking after that abomination I figure as well.

No I do not agree that should the Elks go worse than say 2-5 that Chris Jones stays.

I figure they’ll be reaching out for interest just about that time if the losses are anything but close ones.

They’ll give him the full season at the very least. I highly doubt that the EE want to be paying for 2 coaches that aren’t employed by them.

2 Likes

Ticat fan here..l I think if Chris jones goes Simon will become gm and will hire his own HC… jones is better as DC but that’s just me..

2 Likes

Naw! He's staying because this is his last chance to be a head coach

3 Likes

I wouldn't count EE out just yet. Jones may not win any popularity contest in any category, but he does have some pride. Pride can be a downfall in some circumstances; actually in a lot of circumstances, but he has a way of winding up his players.

We have all seen enough football games to know that if you can't steal some of the momentum away from the opposing team things can get very ugly. Right now I'm thinking that game was kind of a one-off. The Lions were very excited and enthused while EE just couldn't get their sails untangled. I'm expecting better from them next time.

As long as Jones doesn't step all over his other coaches and create discontent among them things will improve there.

1 Like

Buono is a great evaluator of player talent and character, but with coaches? I don’t know. As much as I like and respect Wally he is the same guy that fired Mike Benevides. To this day I still ask why? But that’s another discussion. Buono is big on character and that is something about Jones that seems to get questioned. But then that’s just a rumor, right?

2 Likes

Good post. In Jones case the word Pride should be replaced by the world Arrogance!

2 Likes