Will CBC be back in new TV deal?

sorry for the murky conveyance Earl.

What I was attempting to convey, is that all broadcasters should be invited to the bidding process, in order to drive up the total market value of the CFL property, (i.e. top dollar for broadcast rights to the CFL) which produces a much healthier/stable league. (and possibly future expansion interest)

Regardless of whether the CFL remains with TSN, there needs to be other tenders involved to hike up the TSN offer.
It would be a grave error in negotiations for the CFL to publicly state that TSN is the exclusive desired choice, as TSN will have complete autonomy and leverage, resulting in a drastically reduced offer.

After all subsequent bids are accrued, the CFL will be in a better position to decide it’s direction.

Exactly, unlike the last contract we have to bring everyone to the table to create leverage for the league and a bidding war will ensue.
This will only increase the price and garner market value.

TSN all the way.

If CBC comes through with some astronomical bid I would understand the move, but the CFL has been on the upswing the past 5 years, and I personally attribute a lot of that to the relationship the league has with TSN. CBC was stuck in an old school mentality...blackouts, cutting off games that went long, bad Grey Cup coverage, little to no advertising for the CFL.
TSN has brought in:

• Many pre-game shows
  • Hours of coverage on Grey Cup Sunday
  • Rebroadcasts of games later at night
  • Games of yesteryear on TSN Classic...note that the entire 2011 playoffs was on TV leading up to the start of the season...KUDOS TO TSN...as a fan of the CFL, I appreciate it.
  • modern technology to broadcasting and graphics within them
  • Instant replay is basically via of TSN

I believe that no CBC may have hurt the Toronto market, but likely improved all others. I know so many people that used to listen to the games on the radio because even if CBC started showing a game they would go 'oh...wait...not a sellout' then turn it off.

Most importantly, having ALL the games on TV, and having the higher production value keeps youth interested in the game. It seems as though there is an entire generation from 18-25 y/o that have all but been lost from the game because of CBC's lackluster coverage in an era when all other sports had improving coverage.

Some of us have been saying for a while that $50M per year is very realistic.

:thup: :thup: :thup: A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Good article from yesterday on the subject...sorry if it is already posted...didn't notice it though

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/cfl-eying-up-new-dance-partner/article4378339/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/c ... le4378339/[/url]

here is another great read

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/with-television-rights-to-be-negotiated-cfl-faces-critical-season/article4372991/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... le4372991/[/url]

"Last year, CFL games drew an average 700,000 viewers on the Bell Media-owned sports network, up from 397,000 in its first exclusive year with the league."

"The existing contract between TSN and the CFL is worth an estimated $16-million a year. The league would like to see an increase in its next deal."

As for a 50Mil deal...as a baseline I would love to see how much both TSN and CBC's "per game" average payment is to air NHL games, and what the viewership is. It would be a great place to start. to me, 50M seems a bit high at this point, but 30-35 I could see...that is doubling the contract.

Wingnut? man, welcome to block also. Im sick of you’re GARBAGE also. your eastern smugness sickens me.

What could work is if CBC used TSN broadcast crews, or if CBC simulcast games that were already on TSN. There would have to be iron-clad guarantees that under NO circumstances would CBC cancel, abbreviate, or otherwise negatively tinker with the broadcast. If a game is delayed due to weather the network would be compelled to resume the broadcast when the game continues (no "can't find the producer's phone number" excuses for not continuing). If it does provide its own crews there would no funny business, such as broadcasting a game without sound or play by play announcing. It should also be contractually required to provide a pregame show and a weekly show of some kind, promote its broadcast, provide coverage of other CFL events, and make its feed available to ESPN for streaming in the U.S.

Since the CBC behaved like an amateur operation the last time it had CFL rights, it needs to be kept on a very short leash if it gets ANY games this time around.

Hockey will always get more coverage and more money spent on promoting it. The CFL will never be close to generating those kinds of dollars like hockey does. A decent player in the NHL makes more than a cfl teams entire payroll.
Tsn does a great job and has saved the cfl from disaster,CFL would be silly bringing cbc back in to the fold. TSN is the only network ever to televise every game of the season.

This is arguable. The total viewership for hockey is obviously going to be higher because of the number of games. However, the last few times I saw the stats the CFL, on a per game basis, blew hockey out of the water. So, yes, you get more viewership over the course of a year with NHL, but you get a higher timeshare with CFL, therefore more eyes to advertise at during the given time slot, and THAT is what what advertisers pay for…the given time slot. This is why the Superbowl’s commercials at halftime are the most expensive time slot every year.

The League and teams have always been the ones who decide what games are blacked out, not the networks. At the time that games were cut off when they went long, it was common practice amongst networks - not just the CBC. That practice was abolished years ago by the CBC and other networks. I don’t remember the GC coverage being bad. As for advertising the CFL, I don’t recall TSN doing much advertising of the league back then either.

CBC did a great job promoting the GC, the game had multi camera angles, very well done show, its the 18 game regular season games they viewed that were bush league, if the CBC had one game of the week like HNIC and put as much effort into the game, there would be results, and please no more Argos plays ....... there are more teams in the league than Toronto. CBC was bad for always favoring for mostly Argos games, just like their hype for the Leafs.

CBC wont be around in 5 years so whats the problem?

Probably if Harper is still in power. He’ll gut anything for the people, for the sake of giving the rich another tax break!!!

Just like the CFL , too :lol: :roll:

So true. People like Toronto’s major Ford is what we get when we take our democracy for granted by not voting or voting because we are mad because of another election. :roll:

For , torontoproud

Well of course. I thought you were a Ford supporter, but I guess not. Less than half of Toronto voted in the last election. He still won’t bring the NFL here so be happy.

Agreed Rpaege. The league can and should put iron clad stipulations ensuring that the shenanigans that happened during the CBC’s last CFL broadcasting era never happen again. This is pretty much standard with all major sports leagues and their broadcasters. (and would be guaranteed regardless of who is actually producing the broadcast). The league is currently bargaining from a position of strength and has the leverage to enforce things like production values, pre and post game shows, High Definition for all games etc. The CBC knew the CFL needed them last time and shamelessly treated them poorly as a result. The tables have turned and now it is the CFL that can dictate terms to the CBC who are desperate to keep their sports department relevant. (especially if they lose their flagship show HNIC).