Will Alouettes Season Be Delayed

This bonus would be paid to players on roster as at June 22,2014 or the active roster,along with players on injured lists.

Richard

This is how it was worded in Cohon`s letter:

"This has been a long and difficult process for all involved. And when it comes right down to it, we just want to play. So, we have also offered to pay a ratification bonus of $3,000 to veteran Players and $1,000 to rookie Players (on a team roster as at June 22, 2014) if this agreement is ratified on or before June 2, 2014."

I doubt if players will be enticed by that.

Those who are homeless might but for the most part it should be seen as an attempt to fracture the boys.

We see the average salary, but I would like to see the distribution of salaries by $1k increments, I expect well more than half make less than the average because the few high salaries skew things, the majority may even be closer to the minimum than the average. The signing bonus may be of significant interest to those players.

Taking into account post-season and training camp compensation for Als Players and even though I don't have the exact figures, I have for season 2013 come to these numbers; these numbers are based on 53 players:

13 players averaged $143,538.
17 players averaged $80,000.
23 players averaged $63,000.

Average of $88,208 for 53 players.

Richard

I think your bang on. CFL has a turnover rate of 25 percent, contracts are a min 2 years so most of that 50 percent is making around league minimum.

The CFLPA and Flory`s take on the impasse:

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/scott-flory-on-pts/]http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/sc ... ry-on-pts/[/url]

Thanks Richard

So at least 50% under the average, maybe 60%. Those players are less able to sustain no pay cheques than the higher paid players. Another complication is the mix of players, with some maybe seeing this as their last season and others knowing they are players who bounce from the roster to the practice roster, or only get practice rostrum and may not get longer term benefits of a harder fought deal. Those players may not be keen on missing paycheques and the latter attracted to the signing bonus.

BTW - Would anyone know if the strike vote is (a) an entirely secret ballot and (b) managed by the CFLPA or an independent body (e.g., accounting firm)? Past experience has given me a distrust of union votes when it is done in-house.

Il me semble que Brouillette (ou Luc Brodeur-Jourdain) a mentionné à Pierre Durocher qu’ils avaient reçu des formulaires pour le vote de grève, ce qui suppose que le vote serait “à peu près” secret. Je dis “à peu près” parce que je ne connais pas les mesures de contrôle du retour des votes. Il peut y avoir une possibilité que l’exécutif puisse savoir qui a voté comment.

Mais ma mémoire n’est pas infaillible…

The way things have unfolded it has to be secret or the league will use the data to plan its next move.

I`m still trying to understand why the league is so adamant about not wanting revenue sharing.

If league revenues are not as good as the players think, then the players as partners would be compensated accordingly.

The only thing I can come up with is that now that things have turned around for the league, owners such as Wetenhall, Young, and Braley in Toronto want to recoup some of the millions that they have lost in past years.

A big part of it is control. The kind of guy that buys a football team does it for enjoyment and pride, having the players in his books and in a way inject themselves in the “management” of the team does not fit. The other part is that you can no longer syphon money out via “expenses, investments” so forth… Example Mr. Wettenhall why are your sons being paid x hundreds of thousands a year ? These are billionaire, they don’t want to be scrutinized.

Don’t kid yourself, CFL teams make nice money. If the Riders are making fifteen million in gross profits, means most teams are at least making five. that was before the new TV deal.

I know Scott Flory well enough not to ever make him mad. And boy did Cohon make him mad. :x

I have a saying Never piss off the nicest guy in the room…

No idea what Cohon was thinking in going public without giving 24 hr. notice to the CFLPA as had been agreed. Did the league get any sympathy from the fans? All he did was p-ss off the players.

I asked earlier but never got a response HFX. If you KNOW the sons are being paid and you KNOW that it is in the “hundreds of thousands range” can you back that claim up somehow?

The league has shared financials with the players.

Myth: The CFL refuses to share financial information with the players.
Fact: The CFL has provided the players’ union with financial statements for the league and and all of its teams, with the exception of Saskatchewan. (A community-owned team, the Riders are preparing to publicly report their financials, once they have been approved by their Board of Directors.)

Also, league has said 3 teams lost money last year.

Sigh! I wonder how much input Scott Flory has had in all of this.

This league can ill afford to have negative press. I fully agree that the players' salaries should be higher...etc., but a strike????? Bad news!

I'm not going to make my usual comment about the state of football in Canada, but I believe that a strike or any kind of delay, shortening of the season, cancellation of games...will hurt not help!

I sincerely hope that TC and the season begin and end as scheduled.

Disregarding HFX claim that all teams must be making 5 M given Sask profits, I wonder who the third team is that is losing money as per the CFL announcement. TO , Hammy and ?

The third losing money in 2013 is most probably les Alouettes. Factors such as definitely factored in this loss/deficit:

More players than usual on 9 game injured list, particularly high paid players such as: Anthony, Jamel, Brendan, Scott and Andrew. Positive impact on approved max. cap but these savings were,most probably, given as bonuses to players who signed new contracts.

Decline, as per newspapers reports, of revenue decline in sponsors revenue.

Decline in gate receipts,particularly since no semi-final or final game at home.

Terminations of Head Coach and a few Assistants; while the amounts due may be paid in the next years or so, the costs of these terminations had to be recorded/accrued.

Richard