Wildcat formation

I wonder how much thought went into having a wildcat formation. Over the years there has been more and more rules putting the quarterback into a protective bubble. It has gotten to a point if a defensive player runs too fast past the quarterback and the quarterback falls down a roughing penalty is called. Now that brings to the wildcat formation where the QB is out of his normal protective bubble and is open to the normal blocks and hits. If the general idea is to protect the QB then a wildcat formation is not doing that.

Not quite on topic but QBs are waaay too overprotected IMO. You want to play football you take your licks like everyone else.

I guess NFL teams have been allowed to use this formation for years but only last year with the Fish did we see it employed to any extent. They want to protect the qb for sure and I think we will see it used about the same amount as the NFL for the same reason after the novelty wears off and/or defences start stopping it.

...notwithstanding the fact that you joined this forum today, I question how much CFL style ball you have watched...QBs in this league scramble all the time so what's all this nonsense about a 'protective bubble' or 'the general idea is to protect the QB'?!....

I guess it's a matter of choice. A QB that runs a wildcat formation would not receive the same protection that he would if he lined up behind centre. Kind of like the way a goalie who comes out to the blue line is a player like any other, and if he gets knocked on his can, c'est la vie.
If you want the protection, you stay in the pocket. If you're willing to take a beating, roll out or line up in the wildcat formation if you want.

Watching the Montreal - Hamilton game last night, I can see possible uses of the Wildcat formation. That being short yardage and a direct snap to a running back. It opens the entire line and possible gaps whereas a handout only permits half the line to be used. I'm not sure about the Wildcat play where the Center bounces the ball off the QB's helmet to a running back will catch on but the other Wildcat formations used by Hamilton made sense. What made me question the sense of the Wildcat formation was what Suitor was saying to explain it. Suitor said a running back can take a direct snap, roll out of the pocket and pass to the QB. Suitor's type of Wildcat play seems to be setting the QB for some major hits.

And just a note for RedandWhite - I must not have throughly read the Term and Conditions of this Forum as I did not know some type of senority was required in order to post an opinion or comment. Yes I have just joined this Forum but as to how long I have been a CFL fan? Well I had to think about my first memories, and they date back to Eagle Day.

...my apologies then lazy, it was a crass comment in hindsight...I guess what I wanted to point out was that you made it sound like the wildcat had no place in today's offensive scheme as the QBs were traditional pocket passers and I wanted to note that save for maybe Ray and Pierce the starting QBs in the league are very agile and mobile players who shouldn't be threatened by this type of formation...that's all....

...QBs take hits all the time....some minor, some major....now no one wants to see a franchise player get his clock rung on every play lest he end up like Dave Dickenson but I've heard many a QB say that they actually look forward to that first hit, to wake them up, to let them know they are in the game and it's for real....personally, I dont' see a problem with the QB putting himself out there from time to time...