Why would Ottawa let Lafrance Get Away?

A rare Canadian running back like him who helped them win the Cup and they let the kid go to another Team?

Doesn't make any sense. Even the good teams make stupid mistakes

You asking a question or making a statement ?

He looked good in two late games and ran well in the snow. His worth went up because of his playoff and GC performance and his agent was asking too much money.
He looked good but one of the key reasons he had space to run was some great play calling and blocking.

William Powell is the starting RB and LaFrance would have been a backup again.
When you win the Grey Cup all FA players demand more money and Ottawa had 3 of their 1,000 yard receivers and key DB’s to try to hang on to.
Made sense to let him go, you don’t pay a backup RB the kind of money his agent was demanding.

SSK offered him the starting Quarterback position, I hear they have an opening at that position. :wink:

Looks like Sask is going with starting Canadian running backs. Lafrance had some good games filling in and I also dont know why Campbell was so set to go with imports who were getting injured.

Here is hoping that he becomes a star in the league.

He had ONE good game in two inches of snow... Hopefully he does well but Campbell who saw a whole lot more of him than Jones did didn't think he was good enough to start even the week after Lafrance saved their butt. This will be one of the most interesting stories of the coming season IMO. One of these two GM's is probably going to end up looking bad.

He looks promising...but the Riders are paying a fair amount of cap room on a bit of a gamble. pretty huge if he can continue his success though. I figured Bell would be there...pretty shocking he is not signed somewhere by now

As for the ORBs...I don't think they will look bad even if he succeeds...they had a more established set of NIs so paying to have that at RB when he was / has never been intended to be a ratio spot is not a big deal...they would have to rethink their ratio strategy a fair bit to retain him and if it came down to him or say MacMillan...I think they made the right call. Riders simply came in with more room to spend and more ratio spots to fill.

Huge gamble on a NI at RB because if they struggle you better have an 8th spot you can use ratio wise...looks like the Riders 'might' have an 8th and a longshot at a 9th...so not a horrid gamble I guess

Ottawa still has Patrick Lavoie at RB and just signed another Canadian RB Pascal Lochard so they are set at NI RBs.
The starting back will be William Powell and the backup is likely Mosis Madu and Travon Van.

Travon Van is an Esk

It's not a gamble at all. He played one good game and is nothing more than a backup/rotational player on a team with decent national depth....which the Riders still do not have. Behind a mediocre O-line, even with the signing of Dennis, he will fizzle out quickly much like Jones many other signings. Riders are in for another long season.

The Last Word

It's not a gamble at all. He played one good game and is nothing more than a backup/rotational player on a team with decent national depth....which the Riders still do not have. Behind a mediocre O-line, even with the signing of Dennis, he will fizzle out quickly much like Jones many other signings. Riders are in for another long season.

The Last Word

Gillanders, too, though he seems injury-prone.

It might just be a wording thing, but…Teams don’t always just “let” a guy go. Sometimes, they are limited in what they can offer. LaFrance is just as much part of the decision-making.

I liked LaFrance right from watching his highlights at Manitoba after he was drafted but $100,000+ for 180 career (regular season) rushing yards? Yeah, no thanks.