Why the NFL game caters more to the 'NFL only counts' fans

I have a theory here why the "NFL only counts" fans like the NFL game better than the CFL game. And it all has to do with the lack of gray matter these people have. Consider:

1. One less player on the field = less difficulty locating all the players to see what's going on

2. 40 secs to put the ball in play = 20 more seconds than the CFL has, gives their brains time to adjust

3. Small field - their eyes don't have to scan as much field, therefore less information to process

4. 4 downs - the extra down means they have more time to adjust when possesion changes. ie. oh, the ball has changed possesion now, I get it. Can you imagine with 3 downs, they get confused too often with the more frequent change of possessions.

5. Complexity of allowing a single point or not on a kick or field goal. Just way too confusing for them to process how this might affect the outcome of the game.

To sum up, less information to process watching NFL, therefore the game caters more to the intellectually challenged. Feel free to add to this list if you want.

You forgot!

QB's who are not smart enough to throw the ball over the crossbar so they have to move it out of the way

Kick returners who are afraid to run with the ball so they wave their arms and promice not to run

There is one predominant reason, IMO.

1. The desire to fit in with the 'American culture'.

Trust me I was once a part of this croud.

And I've heard somewhere that people who have that desire or need to fit in as you say TIMH, are a bit slower upstairs also. good point! Like the crossbar thing also ro.

I agree the NFL is easier to digest without thinking because of the onslaught of media exposure, blinky graphics & a rigid game... I agree with all the points except #2 which I find pish-posh.

1. One less player... ok point. QBs comming up from the states will mention this is an adjustment. I think defenses have more to watch for in the extra player & unlimited motion.

2. 40 second play clock -- I have to disagree. This is the most overstated & erroneous argument used by CFL-defenders. Consider the NFL playclock runs from the moment the last play expires where the CFL play clock is blown in after the ref has reset the ball. Typically there are 35-40 seconds between CFL plays. Its the same. The difference comes with if you want to break the huddle early in the NFL to assess the defensive coverage which usually isn't the case unless you're trying to hurry up anyways.

3. Small field... easier to capture the action with high resolution especially on newer 16x9 HDTV sets... so good point. Smaller area of play does add the perception of quickness & makes NFL QBs look like Hercules.

4. 4 downs.. I can see how someone who is casually paying attention could lose entire track of a CFL game. Especially if the defenses are forcing punts all the time. The NFL does cater more to the beer guzzling, wing gluttony of a sports-bar.

5. Single Point -- I agree whole heartedly... the rouge is pointlessly disregarded by the NFL-only fan without any thought what so ever almost all the time... Its ok to critisize it based on specifics such as non-returnable kicks but to disregard the added value the rouge gives to the action is plain rediculous.

The time allowed may be the same between the CFL’s 20sec clock and the NFL’s 40 but their system allows the O to kill off the clock much more easily

You make a valid point. There are however 3 timeouts per half in the NFL but are only good in a tight game & if your QB didn't blow them all because he couldn't read coverages again & again...

Having one less player on the field is a direct consequence of having smaller field. I'd say these two things combined make sense.

The unbeatable thing in the CFL, is the fact that with a 14 points lead with less than two minutes to go, you can still lose the game. Whereas in the NFL, a 7 points lead with 3 minutes to go makes you about certain to leave with the win. The CFL is a crazier league.

There's a name for it.................Lemmings!

Third_and_Ten wrote:

The unbeatable thing in the CFL, is the fact that with a 14 points lead with less than two minutes to go, you can still lose the game. Whereas in the NFL, a 7 points lead with 3 minutes to go makes you about certain to leave with the win. The CFL is a crazier league
Excellent point Third. I was watching the Eagles - Jaguars game on Sunday and I think there was just a bit over 2 minutes remaining in the game with the score 13-3 for the Jags. And it looked like half the stadium was half-empty and it was a full house for this one. You wouldn't see this in the CFL since so much can happen with 2 minutes remaining with 3 downs and 20 secs.