Why psychopaths dominate sport

Came upon this other day, fascinating read I must say. I can see the logic of the author particularly with boxing, the sport he concentrates on in this piece.

"Violence is not even a defining feature of psychopathy. However, some characteristics you may expect to find are: calmness under pressure, a ruthless sense of focus, mental toughness and lack of self-blame when things go wrong. You may thus expect the psychopath to be a formidable force within sport, particularly in the field of boxing - my sport of choice."

1 Like

Seems like more woke nonsense from HuffPo

1 Like

In some respects, sure, but still interesting I will say. Nonsense can be fun, or is that nuisance, I forget which. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In a fight I want the psychopath on MY side.

2 Likes

Remember playing high school football and hockey, one guy there could have been a psychopath, don’t know, but he loved hitting people more than anyone I had ever seen. And even in phys ed class in high school, floor hockey, he had to be restrained and “sat down” because he was hitting guys too hard in class, guys who had no athletic prowess at all. Don’t know what ever happened to this guy. But he got good grades I do remember.

1 Like

Probably a CEO somewhere…

2 Likes

We all feared those guys (there was more than one in my school).

One of those psychopaths did some jail time, became a successful Real Estate Agent and fathered a nice daughter (she was a model citizen). But one of my pals who occasionally came in contact with him confirmed that he was still the same heartless bastard who could destroy someone and not blink an eye if he got what he wanted in the end.

1 Like

Blockquote

Interesting. Although there may be something to this sometimes, I think it is a stretch that psychopathy is common, although I am not a psychologist or expert in this field.

The characteristics of calmness under pressure, a (ruthless) sense of focus and mental toughness are common, if not necessary, among elite athletes. I don’t think the lack of self blame when things go wrong is that common, however.

These characteristics are common in many scenarios outside of sport, such as with a surgeon, a trial lawyer, a fighter pilot or an astronaut. All must possess these qualities in the extremely taxing performance of their duties. In sports I think a great example not mentioned is what a Formula 1 driver must possess to excel or even just to stay alive.

I don’t necessarily equate being successful in all of these similar endeavours that require extreme focus and concentration with being a psychopath.

2 Likes

The issue with psychopathy is that most sports are team based
A psychopath is usually a loner at least and usually quite anti-social

2 Likes

I can’t argue with any of that. But when (sooner or later it’ll happen) you wind up standing between a psychopath and something he or she wants… expect no mercy. I am very fortunate to have few meaningful dealings these days with such people BUT I can understand that a psychopath can make a world of difference in situations where cold hard decisions without regard to ‘feelings’ are necessary. Otherwise they’re a curse on humanity.

A few decades before my time the solution to psychopath Hitler for Russia was psychopath Stalin. Fast forward to today and the solution to pschopath Putin will be… either another psychopath or some cold hard retaliation that only a psychopath like Putin could relate to.

1 Like

Yes. It’s the sociopath that is equally if not more dangerous as they actually blend into society much more seamlessly and less likely to spot perhaps.

3 Likes

I think it’s the knowledge that there are sociopaths among us at the root of such time honored gems as, “Don’t talk to strangers”.

I never understood the wisdom behind that saying until I got older. Still, I’ll strike up a conversation with a friendly face anyway. It’s one of the things that makes life worth living. It’s also one of the things that could get me in buried six feet under should I ever cross into the Lone Star State again… or so I was told by a gun toting couple I was visiting with a friend in a gated community near Dallas. Their concern was genuine.

Just chit chatting with the waiter at a sports bar set off alarm bells for them. “We don’t talk to strangers in Texas,” they said matter of factly. “That sort of thing might work in Winnipeg but you’re far too friendly for these parts. It’s gonna getcha killed.”

2 Likes

Totally get where you are coming from Maaax. In 2017 on my way to Mexico I connected in Houston. Below is the picture a flabbergasted me took upon entering the airport. I was shocked that guns were even allowed to be carried by anyone into an airport if they were licensed. A far different place than Canada.

2 Likes

Yeah. Even the neighbors were armed to the teeth in that Texas 'burb. On one side they had an FBI agent and on the other side they had a police officer. Both had a trunkfull of assault rifles and pistols. On top of their fridge they had a handgun sitting there beside a plastic ammo case which still bore the Walmart sticker. I guess it was on sale that week. Imagine clipping coupons out of the paper for those shiney new bullets you’ve had your eye on. :grin:

4 Likes

Going to have to check that definition of psychopath again…

2 Likes

Oh come on. The only gun I ever want to see up here is the ‘shotgun’ snap behind centre when Collaros faces second and long. :grin:

2 Likes

This topic should be: Why Angry Old White Men Dominate CFL Forum? Wasn’t there a Tarantino movie by that name?

3 Likes

I think it was called Inglorious Bombers.

3 Likes

And don’t forget that classic animated Disney movie for kids… ‘Bomby’.

3 Likes

Then they might as well try the “Run & Shoot” offence.

1 Like