Why Not McCarthy

Watching from afar here in the Windy City, I can’t understand the process the Ticats are going through in picking their new general manager, in that they are considering three candidates from outside the team when they have their man in Michael McCarthy already there.

Let me educate you on what this man, here in Chicago as the Blitz Director of College Scouting was able to sign Trumaine Johnson and Tim Spencer, two of the top collegiate prospects heading into the 1983 NFL Draft. From my standpoint, if he was good enough for a Hall of Fame coach in George Allen why is he not the right man for the Ticats.

Also if I remember correctly when he was Vice President and General Manager with the Toronto Argonauts he build that team into one of the most explosive team’s in league history before trumping it all by signing Rocket Ismail to a record contract as the time. Rocket by all accounts was going to be selected by the Dallas Cowboys with the first overall selection if he had not signed with Toronto the night before. For someone to be able to sign such as player and build a team into Grey Cup champion is such an amazing feat.

While from all accounts the Ticats are looking at many people from around the league, I just simply think it would be a mistake to not pick the man who is already there, someone who has done it all in his 28 years of pro football.

McCarthy also single handedly dismanteld that great Argo team of the early nineties. First he offers all-star qb & team leader Matt Dunigan a rediculous "Pay as You Play" contract. Insulted,Dunigan signs with Winnipeg & the Argos miss the playoffs.Then, the following season he pulls off a 16 player deal with Edmonton..the result, Edmonton wins the Grey Cup & Toronto finishes last.

Great work Mike........

Mike knows his football for sure.
I hope he is at least kept around to increase the teams football IQ.
Does anyone know the status of Craig Smith?
All seems pretty quiet on him!

Thanks for your vote of support for Mike Mc Carthy.

He usually operated on a shoestring in his earlier tenures here
and did a good job keeping a competitive team on the field.

Now with an even playing field and adequate finances
I am sure Mike could do an outstanding job.

IMO, Marcel made all final decisions on personnel
since Mike has been back working with the Ticats.

P.S.

I can't speak to specifics about gilthethrill's comments but

in the CFL, the reasons why teams lose players
is almost invariably due to lack of finances.

Other than Terry Caulley and Charlton Keith, who did McCarthy and Craig Smith "discover and sign" this past season who really made an impact?

We need a GM who can get better players in Hamilton quicker and more frequently. McCarthy has had his chance, and, like Taafe, NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Sadly, the image of a losing culture surrounding the Ticats
works in favour of hiring outsiders if only for the marketing.

attack, who was the G.M. last year?

Let me tell you, it was Marcel.

You know, your M.D. Marcel Desjardins.

Didn’t I read this somewhere?

IMO, Marcel made all final decisions on personnel
since Mike has been back working with the Ticats.

Oh, right, it was me who said it.

Now when was that?

Oh, that’s right…the previous post.

Seriously, do you think Marcel would concede
to anyone else’s judgement but his own?

I am curious what your answer will be.

When it came to Matt heading to Winnipeg rather than staying with Toronto, it simply came down to cash, cash the Toronto ownership did not want to spend, many of the moves done 1992 onward were not of McCarthy's liking, but were done due to the early stages of NcNall's financial downfall. Also you can lump the reasons for the 8 for 8 trade into the above mentioned reason.

McCarthy when it came to building Hamilton brought in the likes of Earl Winfield, Tony Champion and Mike Kerrigan. In 2007 he was the behind the signing's of Zeke Moreno and Nick Setta, both were named All-Stars.

I don’d think you can trash McCarthy just because Matt Dunigan left town. This guy has done it all over the years (including completely ignoring my requests for information on the Tiger Cats for CBC Radio…but I won’t hold that against him now) and should have been in the running. Perhaps he doesn’t need the headaches and said no.
But maybe Ron is right…its all about bringing in someone new for marketing purposes.

Other than Terry Caulley and Charlton Keith, who did McCarthy and Craig Smith "discover and sign" this past season who really made an impact?
Setta and Moreno

Ron's probably right but would be nice to see McCarthy get a chance.

Sadly, the image of a losing culture surrounding the Ticats works in favour of hiring outsiders if only for the marketing.

As previously mentioned Mcarthy ruined the Argos... Don't want to give him a chance to do that here.... I Have met him and think he is arrogant and obnoxious....

McCarthy is a Hall of Fame talent scout, he is infact an honoured member of the Scout Hall of Fame. He was inducted along with Gill Brandt in the recent class.
http://www.ourlads.com/scouthalloffame.cfm

Mike is very Laid Back when get to know him

He may be arrogant, but so was Mohammed Ali. That doesn't take anything away from his talents. I would vote him in for G.M. anyday. The only question is: Does he want to be?
The Eagle - :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

My guess is no, he doesn't want it. If he did, and they were going to hire him, why wait? They could have announced it the day they sacked Desjardins. The fact that they didn't replace Marcel immediately and wait until after the Grey Cup tells me they are looking at people currently employed elsewhere and not at someone who was available when the firing took place.

A better example (in that it is football related) for arrogant would be Don Matthews. Arrogant as all getout, hated by the beat reporters in whatever city he happened to be, but you sure can't argue the man's track record.

I'd take arrogance coupled with success over a nice guy who loses any day.

The longer the process takes...
the more it works in Mike's favour.

We would be in good hands
if Mike ended up with the job.

P.S.

Any support he can get on these forums
can't be a bad thing. Keep it coming, folks.

I would like you all to know. Mike is very interested in the G.M. job.
I believe that he should be the # one choice of Scott Mitchell. He knows more than any of the other candidates as far as knowing Hamilton and what we need. He will find us the right people.
He bleeds Black and Gold. Scott please stop looking. He is right under your nose.
Mike the Fan club is rooting for you. pat_cat [Pat] :thup: :thup:

Yah folks, keep it coming. Management makes certain decisions based on what is said on the forums, so why not type out all of your requests for next year? Pretend that the big magic genie has granted you all 3 wishes and give er. The children running the management of this organization will be sure to grant your wishes.

What a wonderful world...

Well Some the Fans of the Club are Beind Him Pat.
I am Want Obie as the GM with Mike as our Asst GM.
Both Men are great at Finding Talent.
Plus Mike can take over after 1 or Two seasons.