Why not Coach Sal on the Fifth Quarter?

Nothing against Ted Michaels, but is there any chance that Coach Sal could be on the Fifth Quarter?

I remember Russ Jackson used to do it and did a good job. A commentator like him or John Sullivantis just has a bit more authenticity in discussing football matters.

I suppose this is a CHML thing rather than the Tiger-Cats.

I find Ted perfectly suited to be the one running the 5th quarter due to his fast paced, high energy approach.

Past show moderators/hosts did far too much talking themselves and barely got any callers in if I recall.

Ted seems to like mixing it up with his callers and isn't afraid to get some spirited banter going. Ted also likes to let the callers have their say by squeezing as many in as possible and doesn't shy away from calling out poor performances on the field, or from calling out and/or arguing back with fans.

In my opinion, Coach Sal is best suited as a clinical, methodical analyst as a colour commentator rather than dealing with the emotional side of things with fans right after a game in a fast paced, fast talking, sometimes highly spirited format.

I also get a charge out of the way Ted nukes any callers who are highly "juiced up" on the liquid courage and therefore making room for legitimate callers who want to make a point or debate something without slurring their words in a drunken haze..........past hosts never seemed to have the guts to hang up on drunks and therefore let them monopolize the discussion for far too long......if you could call it discussion. :roll:

Sorry but Ted is awful By Himself Deerhunter ,
If they are Going to Keep Use Ted bring in some one with Football Experance to Help him
He not a Football Coach … He a news man.
I want someone who understands the Game in there .
A Dual with Ted and football guy would really be better then news Man who knows nothing about the game

" news Man who knows nothing about the game "

I assume you're joking right ?

I listen to Coach Sal's colour commentary every game
whether I am at the game or watching it on television

If you are looking for authenticity, rob35,
I would recommend that you do that, too.

Coach Sal is excellent at instantly figuring out what is going on.

He knows right away if a player is responsible for a bad play
or if it was one of his team-mates who missed their assignment

and if he feels the play calling isn't getting results, he will say so.

Some people fear that our opponents might be listening.

If the Fifth Quarter has any value to listeners,
at all, it is as entertainment not enlightenment.

Few callers call in in a calm, reflective mood
to get a thoughtful response to a question

or to hear a reasoned explanation of things.

IMO, the majority of callers merely want to rant.

Ted Michaels may not be able to hold a
candle to Coach Sal's football knowledge

but he relates to his callers as a fellow fan
and he can match rants with the best of them

It's good the Fifth Quarter is run like Gong Show,
the problem is, nobody is there to gong Ted. :lol:

Didn't Joe Sardo used to be in the booth with Ted?

I like Ted. He offers a different opinion than that of Zamp and Sal. Plus those guys just called a football game for 3 hours. Do you think they really want to spend another hour or so taking calls.

I know this is a little variation from the actual topic but I ran across this incredible year by year account of how CHML was formed in a controversial way and all the way up to the present. I never knew the whole history of this station and just learned a lot..... :slight_smile:

[url=http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/index3.php?url=http%3A//www.broadcasting-history.ca/listings_and_histories/radio/histories.php%3Fid%3D370%26historyID%3D154]http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/inde ... ryID%3D154[/url]

Ontario, Hamilton/Niagara Area

CHML-AM, Hamilton, Corus Entertainment Inc.

Censorship by Hamilton’s first radio station – CKOC – sparked the formation of CHML. It was ten years after the passage of the Ontario Temperance Act. The province was now debating whether to make the sale of liquor legal again. The possible repeal of the law set off great public debate, even from church pulpits. Herbert Haslam Slack, owner of CKOC, wanted to keep his station out of the debate. He imposed a policy that there was to be no mention of the issue over his station. Rev. James Edward Hughson made the prohibition debate the backbone of one of his Sunday morning sermons. Slack was listening to the church broadcast over CKOC. He called the operator on duty and ordered the plug be pulled immediately on the broadcast.

This censorship outraged George Lees and other members of the First United Church congregation. On April 28, 1927, Lees and the elders of the church, formed a company so they could set up their own radio station. The company was called Maple Leaf Radio Co. Ltd. and the call letters for the radio station were CFML. Studios and offices were set up at 222 King Street East (at Wellington). CFML began operations on a frequency of 880 kHz with a power of 50 watts, and had to share time with CKOC and CHCS. Before the end of the year, CFML had become CHML with the call letters standing for Canada, Hamilton & Maple Leaf.

A headline from the September 16 edition of the Hamilton Herald read: "Ex-Mayor George Lees, ex-president of the Hamilton Prohibition Union, has secured a licence from the Dominion Radio Bureau at Ottawa to operate a broadcasting station. It is to be known as Station CHML."

In its early years, the station broadcast church services, pro-temperance speeches, bulletins from the police department, YMCA meetings, special programs for patients at the Mountain Sanatorium, the odd hockey game, and music. There was also free air time for fund-raising campaigns by worthy groups. Sixty per cent of the programming was commercial-free.

CKOC and CHCS moved to 1120 kHz, leaving CHML alone on 880 kHz.

CHML moved its studios to the basement of the new Pigott building on James Street South.

The frequency was changed to 1010 kHz in September. Power remained 50 watts.

CHML was purchased by Senator A. C. Hardy of Brockville, Ontario.

Power increased to 100 watts.

Ken Soble
Ken Soble
Ken Soble joined CHML as manager.

Ken Soble discovered Norm Marshall and hired him away from CKTB in St. Catharines where he had been an on-air singer.

On March 29, CHML switched from 1010 kHz with 100 watts of power to 900 kHz with power of 1,000 watts.

In January, Ken Soble became President of Maple Leaf Broadcasting, after purchasing the company from Senator Hardy. In order to buy the station, Soble mortgaged everything he could to come up with the money. He had joined CHML in 1936 as manager. He was only 25 at the time. Soble was already well known in the radio business. In 1931 he created the first coast to coast amateur show – The Ken Soble Amateur Hour.

CHML increased power from 1,000 to 5,000 watts (directional at night). The transmitter was in Vinemount Township. The station was on the air daily, from 5:55 a.m. to 1:05 a.m.

Daryl Wells joined the CHML staff.

CHML-FM signed on the air.

Ken Soble erected a new building for studios and offices at 848 Main Street. When the new state of the art facility went into operation, Soble described it as the most modern in North America.

CHML employee Bob Hendry was electrocuted at the station's transmitter building.

Niagara Television Ltd., a consortium consisting of Maple Leaf Broadcasting Ltd. (CHML), Wentworth Broadcasting Ltd. (CKOC) and Southam Press (Hamilton Spectator) opened CHCH-TV channel 11. Ken Soble was the first manager of the new television station.

Daryl Wells left for CHCH-TV.

CHML 900 operated with a power of 5,000 watts full-time using a single directional pattern. It was a CBC Dominion affiliate. Ownership of Maple Leaf Broadcasting Co. Ltd.: K. D. Soble 93.4%, Mrs. Frances Soble 3.3% and Miss. Thalia Davis 3.3%.

Tommy Darling
Tommy Darling
Kenneth D. Soble was president of the company. Tom Darling was CHML's manager. Don Johnston was news director. Norm Marshall was sports director. Bill Hall was promotions manager. Agnes Anderson was program director. Announcers included Bud Hall and Bill McVean.

CHML-FM left the air.

The Trans-Canada and Dominion networks of the CBC were consolidated in to a single network. Because of this and the fact that Toronto’s CBL 740 could be heard in Hamilton with no problem, CHML was no longer required to be a network affiliate.

Fred Napoli (host of Nightcap) left for Toronto's CKFM-FM.

CHML-FM returned to the air.

Kenneth D. Soble was President of Maple Leaf Broadcasting Co. Ltd. Ted Darling was Vice President and General Manager of CHML while William E. Hall was Station Manager. Paul Hanover was morning man. Don Johnston was news director. Norm Marshall was sports director. Ed Victor was chief engineer.

Kenneth David Soble passed away on December 16.

Following the death of Mr. Soble, the company was transferred to the executors of his estate.

CHML-FM became CKDS-FM in honour of Kenneth D. Soble.

Bill Anderson joined CHML from CFOX in Montreal. Other announcers included Paul Hanover (mornings), Lee Dunbar (middays) and Phil Hitchcock.

Bill Anderson left for CJCB Sydney, N.S.

On December 17, CHML Radio Ltd. (Standard Broadcasting Corp. Ltd.) had its application to purchase CHML and CKDS from Maple Leaf Broadcasting Co. Ltd. denied.

CHML’s association with CHCH-TV ended when the television station was purchased by Selkirk Communications.

Bob Bratina joined CHML from CKOC.

On July 8, Radio ML Ltd. was granted permission to acquire CHML and CKDS from Maple Leaf Broadcasting Co. Ltd.

CHML received authority to increase power from 5,000 watts to 50,000 watts and to move the antenna site to a location 12 miles northwest of Hamilton.

Ken Packham joined CHML from CHAM, to co-ordinate the CB Base 900 traffic info system to work with the chopper reports.

Bob Bratina left for CKKW Kitchener. Ken Packham left in the fall for CJJD. Paul Hanover was morning man.

Don Luzi was promoted from general sales manager to vice president and general manager.

Both CHML and CKOC worked all summer to hopefully have their 50,000 watt upgrades operational for the autumn. As of October 1, CHML had their new site on the air for test purposes, and array tuning was under way. A break was taken from the work during BBM fall ratings. CKOC had received its new 50 kw Continental transmitter and installation was almost complete. All array work was done and testing and tuning was expected to commence shortly.

CHML began broadcasting with 50,000 watts (different day and night directional patterns) from a new transmitter site at Westover, using eight 275 foot towers. The official power increase took place in early 1979.

George Stanley Adams died. He was one of founders of CHML and was the station's first manager when it opened in 1927. Adams left CHML in 1937.

Tom Cherington was heard on CHML.

On October 22, the CRTC turned down an application that would have seen the transfer of effective control of Western Broadcasting Co. Ltd., owner of Radio ML Ltd., thru the transfer of 55.8% of the common shares of WBC from companies controlled individually or jointly by F. A. Griffiths, D. S. Owen and J. R. Peters - North Continent Communications Ltd. (26.3%), Doncaster Investments Ltd. (19.5%), Atlin Investments Ltd. (1.9%) and Peters Management Ltd. (0.3%) to J. Raymond Peters, on behalf of a company to be incorporated; and the entry into a voting trust agreement by the proposed shareholders of the company to be incorporated. This deal was tied in with a similar proposed transfer of Premier Cablevision Ltd. of which WBC held 26.1%.

Paul Hanover was morning man and R.O. Horning, Jr. Handled afternoons. The news department included Bob Hooper, Tom Cherington (also did a talk show), Ed Wilmott, Al Craig (sports), and Phil Hitchcock (traffic).

"Lonesome John" Holmes returned to CHML to take over the station's talk show from Tom Cherington.

Ed Victor retired as chief engineer of CHML and CKDS. He was replaced by Bob Burger. Lloyd Dafoe retired from CHML's news department after 33 years of service.

Former CHML music director Tony Luciani wins a court case against the station. Luciani sued the station for wrongful dismissal after they replaced his position with a computer and he felt the five months' salary he had received was not satisfactory enough. The Court ruled that Luciani, who now was working for CKKW and CFCA-FM in Kitchener, was owed an additional $16,353 in salary and benefits by CHML.

On June 21, ML Radio Ltd. was given permission to acquire CHML and CKDS from Radio ML Ltd. There was no change in ownership. These companies were wholly owned by WIC Western International Communications Ltd. which was controlled by Frank A. Griffiths thru his ownership of Western Broadcasting Co. Ltd.

Announcers included John Hardy, Roy Green and Sandy Bishop. Hal Gibson did news and Ed Hulcurra handled entertainment.

In February, CHML started operating in stereo, using the Motorola C-Quam system.

After six years on CHAM, Hamilton Tiger Cats (CFL) football returned to CHML. Perce Allen replaced Norm Marshall on play-by-play and John Milcahaluk took over from Bobby Dawson as analyst.

Tedd Colbear joined CHML news from CKTB in St. Catharines.

CHML / CKDS announced plans for new studio facilities in the west end of the city. Completion was slated for September of 1985. Employees participated in the ground-breaking in September of 1984.

Warren Beck left CHML after 20 years. John Burns took over as news director.

CHML/CKDS president Don Luzzi appointed Ted Townsend as chief engineer. Townsend had been part of the engineering department since joining the company in 1969. At this point in time, he was coordinating the design and construction of the studios and equipment of the new CHML/CKDS radio centre scheduled to open in October.

ML Radio Ltd. and Western's other radio properties were merged into Westcom Radio Group Ltd.

CHML began broadcasting from new studios at 875 Main Street West on June 23 at 7:45 a.m., coinciding with the gathering of broadcasters in Hamilton for the 1986 CCBA convention. The new facility was a commercial complex, located opposite Westdale Secondary School. It replaced another local landmark, Paddy Greene's pub. CHML and CKDS have the entire second floor of the building - 18,000 square feet. This includes a well-equipped lunchroom and exercise room for staff. Restaurants, stores and other services are located on the main floor.

The old building was sold to the Canadian Bible Society, and the ‘Dial 900' sign from the outside of that building was now in the visitor's lounge of the new facility.
New studio to transmitter link facilities required expansion of the AM STL to a two hop system, also higher antennas at both the AM tower site and the CHCH-TV tower which housed the FM antenna and AM STL relay. New McCurdy boards were used in the studios. Ted Townsend was director of engineering.

CHML morning man Paul Hanover (the ole Mayor of the Morning) announced that after 41 years at ML, he would be returning to the air at CKOC's newly licensed FM station (CKLH).

CHML morning man Paul Hanover (the ole Mayor of the Morning) announced that after 41 years at ML, he would be returning to the air at CKOC's newly licensed FM station (CKLH). Other on-air names at CHML: Don Murray, Bill Ochterloney, John Hardy, Lee Dunbar, Perc Allen, and Bill McNicholl.

On August 10, an application by Hometown Radio Inc. to purchase CHML and CKDS-FM from Westcom Radio Group Ltd. was denied. Hometown's prospective shareholders included the Dofasco Employees Savings and Profit Sharing Fund and the Dofasco Supplementary Retirement Income Plan, each with 12.5% of the voting shares. The remaining 75% was to be held indirectly by Don Luzzi, a Hamilton native with a lengthy career in broadcasting. Mr. Luzzi joined the staff of CHML and CKDS in 1976 and had served as General Manager since 1981.

Vic Copps passed away October 15 at age 69. CHML general manager Tom Darling brought Copps to the station in the mid-1940's. Over almost 20 years with the station, Copps worked as a sportscaster and salesman. He left CHML and entered politics in 1960, and went on to become the city's longest serving mayor - from 1962-1976.

Danny Kingsbury was named program director and Darren Waslyk, assistant program director and marketing director, for CHML and CKDS-FM.

On the air: Bob Bratina (mornings), John Hardy (mid-days), Dave Taylor (mid-days), Bill Kelly (afternoons), Kent Chambers / Bob Wallace / Ted Michaels (evenings and overnights). Phil Hitchcock was still at CHML. News staff: Darryl Hartwick, Kevin Bechard, Ted Colbear, Dorie Cowling, Al Craig (sports), Anne Riches (traffic) and Tod Lewis (traffic). Notes: Roy Green replaced Dave Taylor. Bob Wallace joined the air staff.


Bob Bratina and Ted Michaels were hosting the morning show. Dave King was heard overnights. Mary Devorski, Bob Hooper, Gina Lorentz and Bill Sturrup were among those in the news department. Bob Wallace left CHML.

Bob Bratina and Ted Michaels hosted the morning show. John Hardy and Roy Green hosted back to back mid-day shows. Bill Kelly was on the air in the afternoons. Bill Osbourne hosted the evening show. Ron Funnell was on-air overnights. News names: Darryl Hartwick, Dorie Cowling, Bob Hooper, Mary Devorski, Gina Lorentz, Bill Sturrup, Al Craig (sports). Traffic: Ted Michaels, Anne Riches, Lee Dunbar. Other on-air names: Phil Hitchcock, Dave King.

CHML and CHCH-TV became family again when Westcom TV Group Ltd. (Western Broadcasting) took ownership of the television station.

Frank Griffiths, founder of Western Broadcasting Co. Ltd. (owner of Westcom Radio Group), passed away in April.

Lisa Brandt joined Bob Bratina on the morning show. Bratina then left and was replaced by John Hardy. Brandt remained as co-host.

Lisa Brandt took over the noon to 2:00 p.m. show.

Westcom Radio Group Ltd. became WIC Radio Ltd.

Ted Michaels left CHML.

The Griffiths family holdings in WIC Western International Communications Ltd. were sold, subject to CRTC approval, to Shaw Communications Inc. and CanWest Global Communications Corp.

Lisa Brandt left in October. Bill Kelly left and was replaced by the returning Bob Bratina.

Following months of negotiation, agreements were filed with the CRTC on the split of WIC assets between CanWest Global, Corus Radio Company (formerly Shaw Radio), and Shaw Communications. Shaw Radio had become Corus Entertainment Corp. on September 1.

On-air: John Hardy & Dorie Cowling (5-9), Roy Green (9-noon), Les Pelango (noon-3), Bob Bratina (3-6), Canada Business Report (6-7), Dr. Laura (7-9), Phil Hitchcock (9-midnight), Dr. Gabe Mirkin (midnight-1), Art Bell (1-3), Sterling Faux (3-5). Lee Dunbar and Bill Osborne hosted weekend shows. Bob Hooper, Al Craig and Paul Tipple were among those in the news department. John Hardy left in September. Bob Bratina and Shiona Thompson took over the morning show.

Les Palango left the business in May. He was replaced by Rick Malo (formerly of CKPC Brantford, who was also a part-timer at CHML).

Program director Darryl Hartwick announced May 10 that he would leave CHML on June 2. He was PD for 20 years.

Following an April hearing in Vancouver, in July, the CRTC announced the approval of the purchase of WIC Radio by Corus Radio Company, which included CHML Hamilton. CanWest took ownership of CHCH-TV. CHML and CJXY were now co-owned with CING-FM in nearby Burlington.

In November, 21 people lost their jobs at Corus Radio in Hamilton. CHML mid-day announcer Rick Malo was among those let go.

In February, Corus Radio created a six station Ontario talk network consisting of CHML 900 Hamilton, CFPL 980 London, CKDO 1350 Oshawa, CKRU 980 Peterborough, CFFX 960 Kingston and CJOY 1460 Guelph. Talk shows from CHML and CFPL were simulcast on the network during certain day parts, seven days a week. The network began on CHML and CFPL, February 12 with the other stations joining the network later in the month.

CHML's schedule: 0530 - Bob Bratina & Shiona Thompson, 0900 - Roy Green (simulcast on CFPL), 1200 - Ontario Today, 1230 - Wayne MacLean (from CFPL), 0400 - Brian Wood & Mary Ellen Benninger, 0700 - Dr. Laura, 0900 - Dr. Gabe Mirkin, 1100 - Ontario Business Report, 1130 - Infomercials, 1200 - Art Bell. Weekends: Lee Dunbar, Shirley Solomon. News: Bob Spink, Paul Tipple, Jeff Storey, Bill Sturrup, Carolyn Tangney, Ken Mann, Rick Zamperin, Ted Colbear, Yvonne Van DeWeile, Aiko Iwashita, Bob Hooper. Notes: Mary Ellen Beninger joined to co-host afternoons in February. She had been with CING-FM. Art Bell returned to the air on February 5 after some time away.

September program changes: 0500 - Bob Bratina and Shiona Thompson, 0900 - Roy Green, 1200 - Ontario Today, 0100 - Wayne McLean, 0400 - Mary Ellen Benninger, 0700 - Blue Jays / Dr. Laura / Dr. Gabe Mirkin, 1200 - Infomercials, 0100 - Art Bell. Notes: In September, Larry Silver replaced Shirley on weekends (network). Brian Wood joined for fill-in work.

Former CHML personality Daryl Wells (The Voice of Racing - aka Daryl Frederick Wille) died December 12. He was 81.

Bill Sturrup retired.

The Corus Ontario talk network disbanded some time ago, but the mini network of CHML and CFPL continued...until August 11, when CFPL went back to local programming during the mid-days. CFPL had carried the Roy Green and Larry Silver shows from CHML.

Former and long-time CHML sportscaster Norm Marshall died on November 5. He was 89. While working at CHML, Marshall joined CHCH-TV the year the station signed on and had been associated with it for over 30 years. Marshall had also done play-by-play for Tiger Cat games on both CHML and then CHCH.

Written by Bill Dulmage - Updated June, 2009

8) Good article there "deerhunter". Boy, some of those old names bring back a lot of good memories !!

Absolutely........the station has a very colourful history as we can see.

By the way, for all those John Hardy (former CHML talk show host) fans out there, you can listen to him at Caledonia's "Moose FM 92.9

Here's his blog:


He also writes a weekly column in the Grand River Sachem newspaper out of Caledonia;

Here's this week's column:


(sorry for getting even further off-topic) :slight_smile: