Why Isn't Moncton Sold Out Yet?

Meant end zone , sorry.

The problem is not finding the fans, it’s finding owners and the corporate sector to get behind a team. I find it funny when people say “hey last year it sold out overnight” and there are a lot of fans in the area who would come out 10 games a year.

It’s got nothing to do with the CFL putting a team there, the CFL doesn’t put teams anywhere. It’s an ownership group or rich individuals that decide that they think it’s worth spending their money to have a sports franchise in a city. They then approach the league to ask about the franchise fee etc and then put in their bid.
The CFL wanting to put a team in a city means nothing. The question, could Moncton or Halifax support a CFL team doesn’t mean a thing. It’s finding owners.

That may be so, but I thought there were more fans cheering for the Eskies at least years game. Might be a case of cheer for Toronto and 1/2 cheer for anybody but Toronto :slight_smile:

I wonder if they held a game in Hamilton between … let’s say … Calgary and Winnipeg … how big a draw it would be? It certainly isn’t the same when you aren’t cheering for your team.

It's a catch 22. First you have to take care of the sponsors (ie Scotiabank), than you have the politicians/who's who/business leaders/etc. , the pre sale which is mostly fans of current CFL teams and that leaves the scraps for the locals. Than you factor in that the "locals" are spread out all over the maritimes and I question how many people out of the 21 000 is actually from Moncton.

There's no question this game will be a sellout, but you have to question if Moncton could sustain a CFL team full time and if touchdown atlantic is properly organized.

That’s true, but that’s what the CFL is doing behind the scenes. Touchdown Atlantic gives the CFL the opportunity to talk to the corporate sector in that region (which Cohon has stated is happening btw). But I guess, until their is sufficient evidence that a team would be successful, people will be reluctant to step up to the plate.

Exactly, if you are really “testing the market” for a future potential franchise you should be testing the market, not offering the leftover tickets. One you will not know how many you could sell and the price of the tickets they do have the “opportunity” to buy do not reflect reality, not cause someone is willing to pay 39.00 that he would pony up 95.00… But they are trying to please everyone.

No problem Hf, I figured you mean’t that. And yes, tickets need to be more evenly available for locals no question as you say.