Why is there no healthy food options at the concessions?

I was wondering why there is no healthy food options at the games?

Here are some examples of what other stadiums offer,
Safeco Field (home of the Seattle Mariners)

Healthier options:
•Veggie dogs
•Gardenburgers
•Vegan soups
•Caesar salad (there are a couple of reduced-fat dressings to choose from at the "club" level of the stadium)
•Blackened salmon Caesar salad
•Hummus platter

Shea Stadium (home of the New York Mets)

Healthier options:

•California roll (sushi made with cooked crab and avocado) and shrimp roll
•Chicken parmesan pizza
•New York-style cheese pizza

Ameriquest Field (home of the Texas Rangers)
Healthier options:

•The "Kids Stand" area offers fresh fruit, fruit juice, and milk
•The stadium smokehouse serves turkey legs
•Chicken Caesar salad with a light dressing
•Fresh soft pretzels
•Cheese pizza
•Low-carb cola, beer, salads, and wrap sandwiches are more popular

Fruits and vegetables are much better to eat than peanuts, chips, Cracker Jacks, etc. With their high fiber and water content, they help fill you up so you will be less likely to overeat ballpark fare.

Let's compare a cup of the traditional munchies with a cup of assorted fruits and vegetables:

•1 cup peanuts: 854 calories, 72 g fat, 10 g fiber
•2 ounces potato chips: 305 calories, 19 g fat, 2 g fiber
•1 cup Cracker Jack: 169 calories, 3.3 g fat, 1.5 g fiber
•1 cup carrot sticks: 31 calories, 0.1 g fat, 2 g fiber
•1 cup celery sticks: 12 calories, 0 g fat, 1.2 g fiber
•1 cup jicama sticks: 45 calories, 0.1 g fat, 6 g fiber
•1 cup strawberries: 43 calories, 0.5 g fat, 2.2 g fiber
•1 cup grapes: 114 calories, 0.9 g fat, 1 g fiber
•1 cup cherries: 104 calories, 1.4 g fat, 2.5 g fiber
•1 cup cantaloupe cubes: 56 calories, 0.4 g fat, 1.3 g fiber

The fact is many stadiums across North America offer healthy choices to its patrons why don't the Tiger Cats?

Using the example of Baseball stadiums is unfair. Compare the amount events there as opposed to Ivor Wynne

Ok so they also sell more beer, hotdogs and fries then they do at Ivor Wynne, so whats your point?

Well, the concession stands are not equipped to handle healthy :slight_smile: foods,and considering the stadium is on its last legs no one is going to pour money into retrofitting them with the equipment to upgrade.
Probably the new stadium will have the ways and means to handle healthier food choices for the fans.

because they play 2-3 games a week at each stadium. They are also state of the art facilities with all the ammenities infront and behind the scenes.
Perhap this topic should be directed at the new EAST MOUNTAIN stadium rather than the 100 year old facility on Beachwood.

I'm sure Ivor Wynne does not have the storage or preperation areas for tofu dogs and green tea beer.

Oh and another thing, the items listed above don't appear to be "football food".

Maybe I'm wrong. :?

Just eat your healthy stuff before you come to the game!!! or afterwards.
Maybe I can help you make a choice here - the game starts at 1PM so you could eat at a healthy restaurant around 11:30 and then head over to the game. If the game starts at 7PM like on Friday, you could eat at around 5PM at home or a healthy restaurant. I used to eat healthy at McDonalds - I would buy a Big Mac and just eat the sesame seeds that were on the bun, that is another good idea. Buy a water instead of Pop, or maybe a lite beer.

My point is that Ivor Wynne is only holding an event in average for 4 hours every two weeks............and only 10 times a year

How can we expect them to be responsible for everyone's dietary needs and go broke supplying it.....if people need food not supplied during those 3-4 hours, eat lots of it before you leave home.........and have some in the car for when you leave the stadium............any other special food yoiu need during the games can be brought in with a special letter from the Ticats.......

.....other than that, they need to sell popular stadium food...........not a cruise liner buffet.

LOL. that's a classic coming from you. Needed a laugh, thanks.

Don't worry, if the new stadium goes to the EM there will be all sorts of healthy veggie foods and sushi and that. If the stadium is at the WH, it'll be the same menu as now but probably even more fattier greasy foods.

Ok, I really do want the WH now! :smiley:

They don't sell them because people don't want them, its as simple as that...
And you cant compare our stadium to a huge new mlb stadium that has something going on in it almost everyday.

Ahh you guys are right. Screw the options cold fries and beer it is.

This is rediculous. :roll:

vegan soups?garden burgers?

soup?????? for the love of god :roll:

Again your right! who would want a hot cup of soup at a ballgame in November? Only idiots would be my guess.

I see this poster's point. But, hard to please everybody all the time.
I'm a bit of a health-freak and was mighty famished at half-time on Saturday. Had to man-up and grab a hotdog. And ya know what? It was pretty damn good!

Definitely not the kind of food I'll eat on a regular basis, but I managed. (Though was a bit irritated when a dog and bottle of water ran me $8.50....more because the bottle of water I bought at the Carling stand was $2.50 -- then at the Grille about 15 feet away it cost me $3.50.)

Generally, I just try and fill up on water and good food (protien and good fat) prior to going to the game. Then just bring a bag of almonds in your pocket (since, for me, going more than about 1.5 hours without eating something isn't easy.) Plus, I find it pretty hilarious when the security guard is patting you down do say, "just don't touch my nuts". Gets a laugh about 10% of the time.

(Edit -- that's my pre-game nutritional regiment when I'm driving. When I'm not driving, I may or may not fit in a bunch of light barley sandwiches in there somewhere!)

Thanks for the response. I understand that you cant please everbody all the time.
Maybe for a start they could sell apples and oranges. How hard would it be for the food and beverage manager to order in a couple of cases of apples and oranges put 10 of each at the concession stands and sell them for a buck each. Yougart cups are another item that would be easy to handle and sell. Im sure this could be done for under $500 a game and if there is no games the following week give any extra inventory to the players and coaches. Im sure some of them would appreciate it.

It took me 5 years of intensive lobbying to get "corn of the cob" brought in the stadium......we even had to sign a specific player to help make our efforts pay off :wink: :wink:

So, with luck, you may see apples and oranges yet one day.......... :lol:

So my ideas of having them sell Cobb Salad as a tie-in to player's name, and sushi/sashimi as a tie-in to Eat 'Em Raw cheer are likely an uphill battle, then?

After looking at the fans that were at the game on Saturday, I don't think there were very many healthy eaters..............lol
This is Hamilton!! I saw thousands of overweight guys, stuffing their faces with hotdogs, beer. Most look like they wouldn't be able to climb up into the stands.
Health food might be popular in Toronto or Ottawa but not here.

After looking at the fans that were at the game on Saturday, I don't think there were very many healthy eaters..............lol
This is Hamilton!! I saw thousands of overweight guys, stuffing their faces with hotdogs, beer. Most look like they wouldn't be able to climb up into the stands.
Health food might be popular in Toronto or Ottawa but not here.

It took me 5 years of intensive lobbying to get "corn of the cob" brought in the stadium......we even had to sign a specific player to help make our efforts pay off :wink: :wink:

So, with luck, you may see apples and oranges yet one day.......... :lol:
[/quote]
Thanx . Glad you got your corn as I'm sure hundreds of other fans enjoy it as well!