Why is Mosca not on the List ????

[url=http://www.ticats.ca/article/cfl-retro-fans-invited-to-celebrate-stars-of-the-sixties]http://www.ticats.ca/article/cfl-retro- ... he-sixties[/url]

CFL teams have each nominated three players from the era. And, at a time when optimism about the league’s return to the nation’s capital is running high, three Ottawa Rough Riders were nominated by CFL Alumni in consultation with the league office.
The Ticats Failed to give Big Angelo Mosca a Nomination

They List had all Great Players Hal Patterson, John Barrow,Garney Henley
What Bugs me was Hal Patterson Was not a Ticat at 1st and Mosca Was .
Mosca Should have got Nomination
To me this Slap in the to Hall Of Fame Player
Who is MR Hamilton Tigercat to me.

If Mosca was ask and He Decline that fine .
But Hope they did ask the Man.

First question I had too. :x

I also would like to why he is not on that list.
When I think of the ti-cats his is the face that comes to mind first.

8) The contest is for "The Most Outstanding Player Of The 60's".
   Not your favourite player of that era.

While big Ang was a great player for us, he certainly couldn't be compared to the likes of John Barrow, Garney Henley or Hal Patterson, and that is the reality of it  !!!

Ang was simply not one of the most outstanding football players of his era  !!!

It is not like Hal Patterson's nomination in this kind of contest is so far beyond the pale that grief counsellors are descending upon Big Ang as we type. I seriously doubt that.

There were only three slots to fill.

One could argue Bernie Faloney was "slighted" here. Ellison Kelly? Don Sutherin? And on and on...

Barrow's all-star record is superior to Mosca's as a defensive tackle. Were they an awesome tandem? Yes. If you had to pick one guy? I'd pick Barrow.

Henley's nomination is beyond argument, IMHO.

You are dealing here with HALL OF FAMERS. Not exactly recognition-deficent.

Oski Wee Wee,

I agree fully with Tipper and oki-oui-oui.

Angelo Mosca was outstanding. No argument there.

However, John Barrow was the best DT in the history of the CFL, and he played all of his 14 years in Hamilton. During that time he won 16 all-star selections. The best at his position, period.

Garney Henley was the best DB ever in the CFL, and played all of his years in Hamilton too. He was absolutely dominant at that position, and then added more great years as an all-star WR in the 70s. Incomparable.

Hal Patterson? Prince Hal had already established himself as an amazing receiver by the time he came to Hamilton. Hard to argue against him, he was a key part of our offensive weaponry during those Grey Cup years.

Angelo Mosca, Bernie Faloney and Ellison Kelly could all be chosen to this group. Don't forget Gene Ceppetelli or Bill Danychuck either. I guess having such a great team in that era just means we have more superb players than slots available. Nice problem to have.

I agree with most Points However how many these men After Football Made Hamilton their home.
Patterson Lived in States Mosca Lives here He still Active as ambassador for us
I really feel he should got these spot over Patterson

It is great Debate and All these men made the tigercats Great no question.

Again, given the criteria for the contest -- choosing the most outstanding players -- and the fact there is no post-career residency criterion (which would disqualify many of those selected by other clubs, incidently): I think all three Ticat selections are valid.

Oski Wee Wee,

mosca was known more for the noise he made off the field than his play on it. Bernie Faloney would have been a good choice. got to love Mr. Mosca for his continuous support of the Tiger Cats I hope Willie Fleming is feeling better these days. :roll:

I am as big a Mosca fan as anyone but I understand that just because I don't agree with something that doesn't make it wrong. Some of you should write that down..

sorry Ang we love ya but the numbers speak for themselves:

ALL STARS

Barrow, John Offensive Tackle (1957 1958 1959) 1960
Defensive Tackle (1957 1958 1959) 1960 1961 1962 1965 1966 1967 1969
Middle Guard 1963 1964

• NOTE BARROW MADE IT IN 1960 AS AN OFFENSIVE TACKLE and MIDDLE GUARD(DEF)!

Patterson, Hal Offensive End 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966

Henley, Garney Defensive Back 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 ( 1970 1971)
Wide Receiver ( 1972* GARNEY SLOWED DOWN A STEP IN 1972 lol)

Mosca, Angelo Defensive Tackle 1963 1965 1966 (1970) and in 1970 i dont believe Ang was a tabbie

AND NOTABLE ALSO RANS:

Sutherin, Don Defensive Back 1961 1962 1964 1965

Kelly, Ellison Guard 1961 1962 1963 1964
Offensive Tackle 1968 1969 (1970)

Coffey, Tommy Joe Offensive End 1967 1968 1969 ( 1970 )

Locklin, Billy Ray Defensive End 1965 1966 1968

and i cant resist three personal favourites from the 1950/ 60s
*naturally never forgetting Bernie Faloney Faloney, Bernie Quarterback 1958 1959 1961 1964

we have:

Goldston, Ralph Defensive Back 1956 1957 1958 1959
Dekker, Paul Offensive End 1958 1959 1960 1961
Neumann, Pete Defensive End 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1961 1964

Well put. For the record, I have tilted the windmill here on the question of whether Mosca should have his number 68 retired. The team's reticence in retiring numbers is understood, but if anyone deserves having his number retired barring Garney Henley, it is Angelo Mosca for being arguably the quintessential Hamilton Tiger-Cat.

In the case of this contest, I believe that Hal Patterson's selection cannot be interpreted as a slight against Ang. Both men are legends.

I do not buy Tom's argument about the need for a player to stay in Hamilton after his playing days as being a criterion for being selected in this kind of contest. The fact is that Garney Henley has relocated to his native South Dakota to serve as Huron University athletic director etc. and I don't foresee the greatest Ticat of all time (in my view) to be diminished in ANY sense for that.

Oski Wee Wee,

He was, Smokey. He was the runner-up for the Schenley for Best Lineman in 1970 to Calgary's Wayne Harris.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ The Fact Angelo Mosca is still Active with ticats as a Ambassador
This why should he should have got the One of the spots
They Ticats owe alot to Big Angelo this was one way they could have paid him back

you are absolutely right oskie...
my brain cells are getting adled... it was 1960 he was with the Als- the riders... then finally came home to roost in the shadow of the mills.

good point about the schenley...
and to angies credit he was also runner up to that prestigious award in 1963( a fateful year for lions fans and a certain fleet footed halfback named willie fleming who made passing acquaintance with ang on the sidelines ) it was that year that angelo was 1st runner up to tom brown the fabled leo linebacker...

and speaking about angelo and his bleeding gold and black..

i remember being at a retirement dinner in toronto some years back.. the head table guests included a number of judges, emminent lawyers and angelo...

when the key note speaker, a superior court judge of some repute mentioned that angelo was sitting next to one david humphreys (recently deceased) --- he of the fateful trip in the 1957 Grey Cup that went down in CFL history... Big Ang just turned to his table companion and sat there in his massive splendour... and glowered...

that stare was same one that sent shivers down his opponents spines and may well have been the last thing Willie Fleming remembered before hitting the sidelines ..

and I think Angelo was serious....

Good on ya, Ang! You will always be in our hearts : :thup:

Like Hal Patterson and some others mentioned as possible nominees, Angelo played part of his career in Hamilton and part elsewhere.

Angelo played for Hamilton in 1958 and 59, then with Ottawa in 60 and 61. As I recall he was traded there in a salary dispute with Ticat management. Then he was with Montreal at the start of 62 before being traded back to Hamilton mid-season. He stayed here until his retirement after the 72 Cup win. He won a Grey Cup in Ottawa in 60, to go with wins in 63, 65, 67 and 72 in Hamilton.

Bernie Faloney, Don Sutherin and TJ Coffey also played with other teams (Edmonton, Ottawa, Edmonton, respectively).

John Barrow and Garney Henley played their whole lengthy, stellar carers for the Tiger-Cats. I think those two are beyond debate as nominees. For the third slot, I’d give my vote to Pete Neumann, a name not remembered or mentioned much anymore unfortunately, but a force on the field for many years.

I agree with Russ’ comments: Angelo was and remains a quintessential Tiger-Cat and a great ambassador for the team. However, the nomination is for outstanding players, not for excellent contributions to the team or community outside the field of play or after retirement. Where he (or Barrow or Henley) lives now is not a consideration. Given the straightforward criteria, I can’t say that Angelo should displace Patterson. If I was going to argue against Prince Hal, I’d plump for Pete N.

Let us all hope that the argument from the original post has been put to rest, both sides having been presented, and the evidence overwhelmingly one-sided. I'd rather talk about the overall contest.

http://www.ticats.ca/article/cfl-retro-fans-invited-to-celebrate-stars-of-the-sixties

Looking at the players nominated, Hamilton has a pretty stellar group in comparison to the others. Saskatchewan has got a couple of all-time greats in Reed and Lancaster, but it looks like Ronnie's best years were in the 70s (4 CFL all star nods, versus none in the 60s). Reed looks to have dominated in both decades, although not for the early part of the 60s.

It's tough to argue with Russ Jackson, who appears to have dominated throughout the 60s. If I was a betting man, I'd pick him to win it, and he'd be deserving.
http://www.cfl.ca/page/retroweek_player_russ-jackson

However, in defence of my team's nominees ... football is about more than just quarterbacks. Our three nominees represent (likley without argument, on the basis of what they did on the field) the single most dominant receiver, lineman and defensive back of the era. In the case of Henley, probably the best two-way player of the era (three-way if special teams count). In the case of Barrow, the "Lineman of the Century" as voted sometime back then. Aren't these guys what football is all about? Especially 1960s CFL football.

Then again, what do I know? I was born in 1970.

At least if Lancaster or Jackson take it, we can still be proud of the Hamilton connection.