Why is everyone against us?

I’ve seen lots of comments lately about the official forces aligned against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Usually described as either the referees, or the CFL itself, or both. Year-in and year-out, I have heard, they stop our team from reaching its full potential.

Since this obviously has major implications on the Ticats, I thought it would be useful to have a thread devoted to exploring the reasons why this situation exists. It’s one thing to identify the problem, but I’m now interested in knowing why.

Why do they all hate us and stop us from winning games we deserve to win?

If anything, you’d think the league would be on our side. We have devoted fans, an owner who says and does all the right things, a history of flirtation with bankruptcy, and the second-longest Grey Cup drought in the league. If the CFL were to prop anyone up, it should be us, right? And yet instead, the story goes, they are doing the opposite.

Can anyone please explain why?

FOR PURPOSES OF THIS THREAD, LET’S ASSUME THE CLAIM THAT THE LEAGUE ACTIVELY OPPOSES US IS CORRECT. IF YOU BELIEVE OTHERWISE, PLEASE START A DIFFERENT THREAD.

Thanks in advance.

I would, but I would probably be accused of trolling :slight_smile:

I'm guilty in this regard, have to admit I don't really believe in-game stuff is fixed, but sometimes it feels like the only explanation for amount of penalties.... or border line calls always aganist us would be if there was a conspiracy. It's more likely bad reffing is the case, but when you're a frustrated fan, you'll make outlandish statements from time to time.

Now... the off field stuff, bit of a different story. Not a conspiracy, but the leauge I'm sure has directed Grey Cup hosting duties to Toronto more then their fair share in an effort to make the CFL relevant in that market. Im guessing Hamilton has been passed over at least once in favor of toronto.

Ottawa a little different, they got to host in their 2nd or 3rd year back. After folding twice, I'm guessing this was done to help cement this iteration of the team once and for all.

Having said that, I realize the city has to bid in conjunction with the team, and apparently hasn't since '96.

But I have to wonder if the leauge requested Caretaker not to bid in order for toronto and ottawa to get hosting duties on at least o ne occasion.

My theory is that Hamilton has been a solid organization since caretaker came on board, fans support and all.

So pass over Hamilton for a GC in favour of toronto since toronto could use it and thr Hamilton organization is strong enough without it. Give the grease to the squeaky wheel as the others are turning fine.

Now.... the NHL expansion of the early 90s, now THATS a conspiracy!

yes agree way

One possible explanation is our uniform colours. There have been psychological studies that seem to indicate that teams who wear predominantly black uniforms end up taking more penalties than other teams.

There is no consensus on why this is the case. It’s possible that teams who wear black uniforms take more penalties because they tend to be more aggressive, an effect of the colour they’re wearing. Or that on-field officials are affected by the colour of the uniform and call more penalties against teams in black because they expect the team to be more aggressive. There’s also the possibility that the team chooses the uniform colour to fit the aggressive style of play they’re going for. Maybe all of the above?

That doesn’t explain why the Stamps and Redblacks aren’t treated the same way. There was mention in a number of the articles I found that the colour redmay have the opposite effect, so maybe it negates the effect of the black.

Here are just a coupleof the studies that I found on the topic.

The dark side of self- and social perception: Black uniforms and aggression in professional sports.

Can Uniform Color Color Aggression? Quasi-Experimental Evidence From Professional Ice Hockey

Everyone hates us bc no one else has a cool city nickname like “The Hammer”.

There are actual studies and written paper? The uniform colours effect is a thing? :slight_smile:

Don’t know how anyone could have seen that PI on Banks in the last TOR game and still believe in a conspiracy.

I used to blame God of deliberately causing fumbles and such when my teams lost.

"Everybody hates me,
Nobody loves me,
Going to the garden to eat worms … "

I think it is a hang-over from the late 50s and early 60s, when we were good, and kept showing up in the Grey Cup, and were dominating and punishing. Sort of built up that jealousy, envy thing that many have for Calgary and Bo Levi now. Always nice to see the big guys trip, and the little guy step over him kind of thing.

It just never went away.

Sure are. Lots of interesting studies. Like the guy who got his sociology doctorate by studying where people stood in an elevator. Oh the things you'll find....

PS - These colour studies appear to be pretty good research.

Or here’s a good paper I JUST discovered when reading an article…

Urology. 2011 Sep;78(3):565. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2010.11.017. Epub 2011 Jan 22.
The face of testicular pain: a surprising ultrasound finding.
Roberts GG1, Touma NJ.
Author information

Abstract
A scrotal ultrasound scan of a patient with a painful inflammatory mass surprisingly revealed a face in the image, which looked like a man experiencing painful stimuli.

PMID: 21256555 DOI: 10.1016/j.urology.2010.11.017
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

And now back to our regular programming…

Following surgery a man in an oxygen mask said to a nurse, "are my testicles black?" The nurse moved his penis and had a close look at everything and said, "they look fine". The man removed the oxygen mask and said" thanks for that, but are my test results back?"

Now now, FYB, I thought you knew you were only supposed to praise your god when you win, not blame him when you lose. :slight_smile:

It's like players pointing skywards for a good play (scoring a TD, making an interception) but never when they get sacked or throw an interception.

I think you are right, Palmer. This belief that the referees always side with the other team is built into the psyche of Ti-Cat fans. Right from the beginning we always said we had to beat the other team & the referees to win.

Not to dump on your deity but do you really believe He/She watches and cares about sporting events ?

If the 1000s of people who die regularly in natural disasters aren’t being saved by the almighty, why would She care about the Steelers vs. Ravens game ? Just sayin’.

Pat Lynch(the old guy who’s older than dirt. Not that store bought dirt! I can’t compete with that !)

• an homage to Moe Szyslak, my hero.

The Almighty is not a Tiger-Cat fan? :smiley:

Well what can I tell ya ? It would appear that we all can't be Ti-Cat fans unfortunately ;D

The definition of "God" entails perfection. God must therefore be all seeing and care (on some level) about everything.

Ahhhhhh, the age-old thorny problem of the existence of pain in the face of the existence of an (all-powerful, all-loving) God. A quick answer is that the greatest good in the physical world is nature, and if God intervenes in natural events then he compromises nature so it isn't nature anymore. This therefore God should not/cannot do because nature is the greatest good. This of course implies that all these reports of miracles in the Bible and elsewhere must be bunk.

Not that I'm particularly religious or anything, but I do understand the "existence of God" issues on a philosophical level.

:wink: