Why I'm proud of the CFL in the Ricky Williams case

Let's reverse the situation and see if the NFL would honour a ban on a CFL player that an NFL team wants very badly that has never played in the NFL. Hmmm, I wonder if the NFL would honour the ban whether they have a drug policy or not? Yeah, right.

And, really, why would you pursue a drug addict RB when your own RB is quite possibly the best of the league. See the mess it created in the “Roberts wants out” thread…

...why are the Als. taking on a guy with former 'drug' problems....Quincy Carter....could it be Calvillo will want out...wow where does it end??? :wink:

Former drug problems!
Former being the operative word

...well anyone could be labelled' former.'...and that as recently as 24 hrs...

Sure thats true.
But from I know(admittly not much about the NFL) Williams has been suspended for only drug problems. Carter was released for for problems including but not restricted to drug problems.
Sure that can mean anything under the sun but as I see it its is less cut and dry

Papa, if you are just trying to minimize the problem because you want your team to improve whether it means they sign bums, crooks or drug addicts, go ahead. I never said I was enchanted by Carter's signing. If he's over with drugs, good for him. His last known infraction was years ago, so as Earl says, you might want to give the guy another chance in life. Williams is right in the middle of his drugs/money problems. As for Smith, who cares? You've got Roberts for crissake!

wow. I'm honestly surprised the Dolphins are considering letting him play up here. In any case - I openly would LOVE to see Ricky in the CFL .. Simply because he's a name and a decent player. The fact that he has a past of smoking pot is purely laughable ... If any of you are under the impression that the CFL is clean and free of pot smokers .. you need to wake the hell up ... I can tell you first hand ..

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

I think one of the factors in Toronto wanting Williams is that they, probably more than any other team, want "big name" guys there that help sell tickets as Toronto sees themselves more "big time" with having NBA and MLB also. And combined that with the fact that Avery is probably not what they thought he was with his injuries and that.

Statik
See the other thread on Williams
Apparently Miami is not going to allow him to play!

ro1313,

See every CFL / NFL rumor site on the net ...

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/nflrumors.html

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

Good site Statik...

Can anyone make up their own??? :wink:

I know that neither one is more valid than the other but

[url=http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/14461770.htm]http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sp ... 461770.htm[/url]

Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Saturday afternoon he and suspended running back Ricky Williams hadn't had serious conversations about Williams possibly playing in the Canadian Football League during Williams year away from the NFL.

Though suspended from the NFL for the 2006 season after his fourth violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, Williams would need the Dolphins permission to play football for any team.

heh you’re the guys who just dunked their foot in the so called …'bad boys pool…don;t lay a trip on me…If you are so dead set against recruiting people with a drug past…i think you should spread the word in Montreal …that this might not be such a good thing… Carter being in that pool…and oh tell the DON…and Popp… :wink:

Drugs aren't an issue in the CFL, that's way their isn't a policy or a new for one.

but still, good on ya CFL for going after Ricky Williams, but the dude is bad news for the league, cuz he will use drugs and he will make a fool out of himself and the CFL.

The CFL really has no grounds to forbid Williams from playing here, since it has no drug policy. It would be hypocritical to say he can't play here, when there are plenty of people in the league now who have similar problems, who are facing no such suspension.

I do think that the CFL should adopt a drug policy. And while I don't think NFL suspensions should be "honoured" in the CFL, the behaviour which got Williams suspended in Miami would surely preclude him from playing in this league as well.

But I must admit it would be kind of neat to see a big name guy like Ricky Williams play.

Forgive my horrendous photoshop skills (or lack of) ...

http://www.digital-underground.net/images/ricky.jpg

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

Don’t act like a doofus. I don’t have any more contacts with the Don and Popp than you have with Berry and Taman. I’m not responsible for Carter’s signing, and you are not responsible for the Argos/Bombers trying to hire Williams/Smith. But I’m not all cheerful about it, wishing “a big name” to come and doing the happy-happy-joy-joy song at the thought of having on the team some guy who doesn’t give a crap about its moral responsibility towards young fans, nor any respect for its employer (ie. get the cash, forget the rules, leave the team without a key element because leisure time was sooooo important).

It’s not about trying to get our teams not to do something. It’s about rejoicing or not when they make good/bad moves. You want to cheer for your drugged heroes? Just go ahead. It’s your values, not mine…

it’s not that I’m not proud of the CFL for going for him, I just saying that having Ricky up here would be a black eye to the league if he pulls something stupid, as he has been know to do in the past.

This is a bad apple, Toronto, a hot potato, don’t touch it! Ricky has made his nest with the Dolphins and the NFL, now he must live in it.

And it’s not good for the league to sign NFL outcasts or black sheeps, like they did with Printers.

:lol: man we got to get you away from photo shop :lol: