Why Doesn't Cohon Respond to The Negative Media Coverage?

I hope this strategy of apparent appeasement works.

I have thought about this and the whole NFL in Toronto effort and Anti CFL media.

Does anyone other than me think that this is all a brilliant ploy to make the CFL stonger and this will bring more fans to CFL games this year?

I think there will be a "backlash" against the obvious attempt by the national media in Toronto to marginalize and belittle the CFL. Surveys have consistently shown that the CFL is more popular than the NFL in Canada. Fans will stand up and be counted when it counts, and I see strong support for the league in all markets, even Toronto.

Exactly :thup:

X2 :rockin:

I like the strategy of appeasement comparison.

Like when that British Prime Minister, I forget his name, got off the plane in 1939 waving a piece of paper Hitler signed saying he wouldn't attack England.
And we all know what happened there.

Cohon should be aggressive right now. Securing advertisers. Looking for ways to expand the brand. Looking at expansion.

He shouldn't accept the NFL's word that they will not harm the poor little CFL. Look what happened to Britain.

Your only looking at one side of the big picture berezin.

Killing the CFL serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever for the NFL, none, zip, zero.

Even if the CFL becomes a "feeder league" for the NFL, which more reason than ever for the NFL to keep the league going, we, CFL fans, will get the opportunity to see rising stars, that we otherwise would not. The NFL would also undoubtly, pay a portion or most of those players salaries, increasing the amount of money teams have to spend on rosters and ultimately on good canadian ballers.

There many ways to skin a cat berezin, you should try expanding your horizons once in awhile, you'll live longer. :wink:

Sorry Pigseye.
First we shouldn't be relying on foreigners to save us from anything. Esepcially when the CFL doesn't need saving.

And second, the minute Cohon announces the CFL has become the new NFL Europe is the beginning of the end for the CFL.

We aren't a farm league for the USA. We want our own teams to cheer for. Independant from them. They've already stolen hockey. Now we're supposded to give them our other national game?

Any attempt to turn the CFL into a minor league for the NFL will not work. Period.

The big pictures is the CFL is standing in the way of a successful NFL franchise in Toronto. According to any survey you want to look at (even the Star's "altered" football poll results) show under 50% of Canadian football fans prefer the NFL.

This is a major stumbling block for the NFL in capturing the hearts and minds of football fans in Toronto, which competing U.S. cities do not face. Could you imagine a poll in San Antonio or L.A. which showed that half their potential customers preferred a different pro football league to the NFL?

An American football league will need all these fans to be ultimately successful in Toronto. Sure, they may be able to pack the stadium for a few games (but $350 for a Bills preseason game in the antiseptic Skydome watching a bunch of scrubs who probably couldn't make a CFL practice squad, is hard to fathom, especially since that borefest is available on local TV for free?), but soon after the novelty will wear off and the game must stand on it's own.

But fans will still be faced with the same repetive, boring NFL-style game, which anyone who has actually witnessed a game live, already knows, pales in comparison to the action of a CFL game. The real main interest in NFL games is your bet in the office pool or your Fantasy league picks, not the on-field product. A recent survey showed that 50% of Americans followed the NFL, "mainly for the gambling."

Another real downer for Toronto fans is the poor sight lines for football at Skydome. They can sugar coat it all they want, if you think the CFL is hard to watch there, just try the NFL with each sideline 20 ft. further away! (...or better yet, don't!)

Sure they could build a new stadium, but this factor detracts greatly from the allure of an NFL team for Rogers. He already owns a stadium which he bought for practcally nothing, why build a brand new one? Perhaps this is one reason why Rogers seems to have stepped aside for Tannenbaum to become the front man for the NFL bid...and perhaps why Rogers responded "exaggerated, hooey" on Friday, when asked about all the media speculation of NFL team coming to Toronto permanently?

The best, and probably only, defence we have against this media campaign is to support our local CFL teams. Buy season tickes, single game tickets, CFL jerseys and novelties. Even if you have to hold your nose by embracing a bit of Canadiana, just buy a ticket and enjoy the game. Canadian football fans are counting on it.