Why does Toronto get to host so many Vanier Cups??????

I dont know about you guys but it kinda ticks me off that Toronto gets to host the Vanier Cup all the time.
Yes this year it was in a sold out Griffiths Stadium and twice befor that in Hamilton, but next year it will be played once again in Toronto.
Toronto hosted the Vanier Cup almost 40 times in a row before that.
The Rogers Centre aka the Sky Dome will look so empty. I think another City should host the Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanier_Cup

I say let Halifax, Quebec City, Victoria, Brandon, and several others host the Vanier Cup.

Has Halifax, Quebec City, Victoria, Brandon or any other cities made bids to host the Vanier Cup?

You know that is a good point.
Forgot about the bids, but aside from that, why was it in Toronto almost every year for close to 40 years? Surely there must be a reason outside of bidding.

It is called Corporate Sponsorship. That is why Toronto gets most of Vanier Cups. All the corporations have their head offices in T.O. not Gull Lake Saskatchewan or Antigonish,Nova Scotia!!

Sad but true.

Its unfortunate, but the dumbest move the CIS made was moving the Vanier Cup out of Toronto this year. Most of the media largely ignored the game, you didnt see a lot of coverage of TSN , Sportsnet or on the CB of C. I believe the game is during GC week and that is the best exposure the game can get, a good idea to have it along with the Grey Cup game. Maybe a broadcaster like TSN or the mother network in this country will carry the game this time around. The Vanier should be played during GC week and in the host city from now on, IMO.

Why not have the Vanier played on the Saturday of Grey Cup week in that same city? Ticket pricing could be included for both. Saturday, CIS Vanier, Sunday CFL Grey Cup. What a weekend!

I Think The Reason That The Game Has Always Been In Toronto Was Because Of Heritage, And Toronto Being The Birth Place Of The Game. Maybe That's Just My "Toronto's The Center Of The Universe"-ism But That Makes Sense To Me. The Other Advantage That Toronto Owns Is That No Matter Who's Playing The Skydome Is The Most Neutral Stadium. Even If U Of T Or York Makes It Into The Cup There Will Still Be A Bigger Draw From The Opposing Team.

[url=http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=248754eb-4f80-4889-891e-a1c0d44c6eee]http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoe ... c0d44c6eee[/url]

A link to a story showing how profitable the Saskatoon Vanier Cup was.

Wow
$50 per ticket in Saskatoon.
That is great since it was a sellout crowd.
Thanks guys for the info and educating me about the issue.
It is my oppinion that the Cup should be played outside of Toronto at least every second year.
Like the artical said, they are not making much profit selling tickets for $15 in Ontario so it would be benificial to have it outside Ontario every second year.
That sounds fair.

Dumb question from an american here: But...since we see NO CIS action on TV down here I'd like to know how many universities participate?

Down here...as popular as NCAA football may be...the absurd number of "bowl" games just blows me away! And is the big turn off for me! It seems like any corporation can spend a little money and have a "bowl" game named after them. The problem is that you have so many teams with average records playing for titles that don't deserve it.

Very interesting, I am sure that all the oil industry will be very interested to hear their head offices have moved from Calgary to Toronto. Or that the many corporations that used to have head offices in Vancouver are now in Toronto. It also seems to me that the title sponsor for this years Vanier Cup was Potash Corp, which up to now I was sure was headquartered in Saskatchewan.

Dumb question from an american here: But...since we see NO CIS action on TV down here I'd like to know how many universities participate?

Down here...as popular as NCAA football may be...the absurd number of "bowl" games just blows me away! And is the big turn off for me! It seems like any corporation can spend a little money and have a "bowl" game named after them. The problem is that you have so many teams with average records playing for titles that don't deserve it.

Geo, I think there are 26-28 university football programs in Canada. For more information go to www.universitysport.ca.