Why does CTV show NFL games but CFL is only shown on TSN?

That’s why you need to keep the cbc involved, keep it canadian bud, don’t let the m only Ruin it.

Its the Canadian way.

Kinda how a TSN reporter famously said that football season is almost here (in August)!, the rights carrier doesn’t even air out of town games on their sister stations, choosing instead to air obscure American content, major free agent signings, and the rights holder is holding a roundtable discusion about the NHL trade deadline which was still 2 weeks away and on, and on, and on…

We just love to eat our own for some bizarre reason…

If your questioning now.
Your going to be disappointed later(2023).

Why would CTV air the CFL? It sells TSN and they are in the business of making money. They put NFL on CTV to compete with US networks that anyone with any amount of cable has, and even many with OTA. Exclusive content, aka things like the CFL, is what makes cable companies carry it. Why on earth would they shoot themselves in the foot?

Now if the CFL wants to sacrifice $$$ in the next contract…have at it.

TSN was void of NFL content . I was surprised myself that the sports channel had zip except for Sunday night regular season . They had one playoff game . ONE ! Thankfully TSN had the Super Bowl shared with CTV . Isn’t TSN Bells sports channel.

You contradict yourself by saying they have to compete with US channels which Bell receives all advertising dollars especially after USMCA .

Does TSN not compete ? Is it a niche network .

So your actually arguing for CFL to be on CTV because of TSN’s reach.

With NFL viewer numbers climbing and CFL declining Bells experiment is working for one league .

It’s never a good thing to give a monopoly to one network unless they pay big time dollars .

Rogers NHL rights uses the CBC because of it’s reach . It’s the only way they can get some of that money back on rights .

Rogers knows this and has CBC on Saturday and Stanley Cup Playoffs is on the CBC for a very good reason and they have NO US networks to compete with so your argument is contradicted by this deal alone .

I remember some of those old CBC broadcasts. I was amazed at their ability to replicate the experience of watching a football game from the 1980s in 2005.

But you could watch them with an antenna . Made you a fan right .

Many US border fans exposed back then to the product thru CBC .

The CBC thought the CFL was so important that it apparently hid the Producer’s phone number from the rest of the staff. It’s a first-class operation alright.

NFL on CTV “competes” with US networks by bringing all NFL eyeballs to CTV … no NFL on CTV and everyone who wants to watch NFL is gone and Bell gets NONE of the advertising they would have shown on CTV … Put CFL on CTV and Bell gains a few thousand viewers … likely fewer than a Littlest Hobo rerun would bring in.

As for Rogers and CBC … it was a brilliant PR move by Rogers to make viewers upset with CBC losing HNIC … but Rogers receives all advertising revenue from HNIC … I think CBC only gets a few ad slots for their own shows … “reach” was only relevant as a means to quiet the outrage when the 12 year deal was signed with the NHL.

NFL on CTV “competes” with US networks by bringing all NFL eyeballs to CTV … no NFL on CTV and everyone who wants to watch NFL is gone and Bell gets NONE of the advertising they would have shown on CTV … Put CFL on CTV and Bell gains a few thousand viewers … likely fewer than a Littlest Hobo rerun would bring in.

As for Rogers and CBC … it was a brilliant PR move by Rogers to make viewers upset with CBC losing HNIC … but Rogers receives all advertising revenue from HNIC … I think CBC only gets a few ad slots for their own shows … “reach” was only relevant as a means to quiet the outrage when the 12 year deal was signed with the NHL.

Nope completely Wrong about the first that’s not how it works for NFL simsub advertising .

BELL or CTV has full rights in Canada and it doesn’t matter whether it’s TSN or CTV they receive the same money . In fact I was surprised at how crappy some of the advertisers were this year .

They DO NOT compete with US carriers as they have full rights in Canada to any NFL content they show . Which means the NFL network switches over to CTV advertisers which would be the same as switching over to TSN advertisers .

CTV receives full advertising rights to ALL NFL content shown north of the border by them on TV . They do not hold the rights to the internet streaming which is held by Amazon or Dazn .

If you watched a game without Simsub it was a game not televised by BELL media .

The second they use CBC influence to gather back the money they used for NHL rights as Rogers does not carry the same scope . The CFL should do the same for a game of the week , playoffs and Grey Cup with the CBC .

Know way too many antenna guys here who do not get the CFL games . This is just dumb as these usually are good old boys who watch sports . They need at least one game on the CBC a week to keep these people connected .

Even those like me only on the net for TV get CBC for free .

I fully understand how simsub works, and don’t think I ever suggested that I saw a US-feed for a NFL game that was also on CTV … I meant “compete” loosely, in the sense that carrying the NFL games they get all the viewers, whereas if they didn’t the would only get the viewers watching their alternative programming … If there was profit in putting the CFL on CTV and NFL on TSN that is what they would do … after all, Bell Media is a commercial enterprise … now, if CBC were willing to carry those CFL games on the same terms as HNIC then I would be all with you … but ultimately I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

I suspect we may be beating a dead horse here but I really wish the CFL would STRONGLY urge Bell Media to at least put some of their games on CTV.

Some MLS games have been on both CTV and TSN the last couple of Saturdays and just the other day it was announced that the new CPL (Canadian Premier Soccer League) have reached an agreement that will see 10 of their games on CBC and ten others streamed on CBCSports.ca and the CBC’s streaming service CBC Gem. The league opener next Saturday from Tim Hortons Field will be on CBC.

Why can’t we get some over the air games?

I agree 100 percent .

A game of the week would be great exposure for the CFL on a bigger platform so they capture more of the casual and potential fan who has maybe pushed the CFL away and wouldn’t turn to TSN to watch depending on what cable or sat position on the menu screen .

I know with cord cutting CBC is free and streams fantastic . I love it for hockey.

Wait until 2021 and push for CTV games.

Even the Raptors are getting the CTV treatment this Sunday with Game 4 on both TSN and CTV.