Why do so many Vancouverites hate the BC Lions and the CFL?

Sports are a part of our (and any nation's) cultural fabric. Embracing a part of the cultural fabric of the States instead of the homegrown variant is not testimonial to those particular Vancouverites love of Canada. It's just that simple.

:slightly_frowning_face:

I would say you are correct in saying there is lots of support for the Seahawks here, but wrong in saying it outweighs the Lions support. Just my take on the issue.

1 Like

Hahahaā€¦ā€œjust that simpleā€
Well suffice to say we see the world through much different lenses"

Superior in rain totals per year, least amount of sunshine hours per year, and coldest summer average temperatures per year. Agree 100%.

Well I happen to know two ex Hamiltonians (my son and his girlfriend) who recently moved to BC only three weeks ago and they personally LOVE the Lions after going to their home opener . Now don't get me wrong as they are both still staunch Ti-Cat supporters and both former STH but trust me my son phoned me after that opening game romp over the Elks and said they both had a blast at the game .

So I realize that they are not native Vancouverites BUT hate the Lions ? Not a chance . I will say though that my son is an avid Avalanche fan in the NHL and he has already told me that there is no Effing way that I will ever cheer for the Canucks in hockey , so there's that I guess . :smiley:

3 Likes

I used to cheer for the Canucks but after two different Stanley Cup riots, Iā€™m okay with them not making the playoffs.

1 Like

My sons hate for the Canucks being that he is an Avalanche fan goes back to the Todd Bertuzzi incident .

I donā€™t get excited about individual players hitting each other. Iā€™m sure some people in Detroit donā€™t like Colorado for the Claude Lemieux hit on Kris Draper. If I hated teams for hits, I wouldnā€™t like any of them.

1 Like

Ya, but, Todd Bertuzzi is from Ontario!

1 Like

Lived in BC from my teenage years to my late 40s with a few breaks. (Hated it. Joined the military out of high school just to get out. But when I left the Air Force, wife wanted to go back because her family was there)

Lots of friends and relatives across the country, including Bc, Alta, Sask, Manitoba, the GTA, Nova Scotia, PEI and the Yukon. Visited all of these places a lot. During my breaks from living in BC, I lived in multiple provinces, and several US cities including Philadelphia, Cleveland, Atlanta, Houston and SanFrancisco.

Generally speaking, I found Vancouverites to have the worst attitude and a horrific superiority complex. Toronto was the second worst. IMHO, the residents of these two areas are so intent on trying to prove that they are "world class" that they fall into the classic inferiority complex trap of belittling those that they are trying to "rise above". The great irony of this is that their attitude does more to hold them back than it does to advance their status.

Im guessing that this could explain both cities' disdain for the "small time" CFL.

2 Likes

I very much condemned his actions, but that should not extend to the whole team, specially when it is a completely different bunch of players, coaches, management and owner.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the main reason that my son left Ontario and headed west . :laughing:

2 Likes

:rofl:
Okay , fair enough . So how about the hate-on is for the fact that historically the Canucks have had by far some of the most fugliest looking uniforms in the history of sports then ? :face_vomiting: :grimacing:

1 Like

Did you ask him about the Steve Moore hit on Naslund that led to that whole fiasco?

No but I tell you what , Iā€™m heading out there in July for a visit . Iā€™ll be sure to ask him that question the moment I see him .

Sounds good

Hear, hear!

:grinning:

2 Likes

Bollocks

1 Like

depends on which ones you are talking about. The skate and colors were the best they had. I didnt even mind the V. First unis and latest unis totally suck. One of the reasons I myself dont have the Canucks in my top 5 teams to cheer for

Lions last week and the band Doman brought in

BC Lions Season Kickoff 2022 - YouTube

2 Likes