Why didn't the clock stop?

Only if being forced back by an opponent. In this case, that's what happened - the officials gave him furthest point of possession. But as that point was before he went out of bounds, the clock wasn't stopped. Point is, we couldn't have both furthest point of possession AND out of bounds, as they were at different points in the play.

So there's a case to be made for the refs' interpretation. It's just odd that none of us has ever heard of this rule before, in the thousands of games of football we've collectively watched. Not a peep, ever. In all the close finishes the CFL is famous for, Luke Tasker is the first guy who ever stepped out of bounds while headed back towards his own line of scrimmage.

I'm not claiming a conspiracy. Just pointing out that this is the kind of thing that happens to us.

But consistent with Luke's route running? Most receivers are heading downfield when they step out.

Actually, I remember seeing it many times. Usually it's obvious that the player is being dragged backwards out of bounds. What I missed this time was that the Edmonton player contacted him just before he stepped out of bounds. Had he not been touched, then he would have been marked as going out of bounds on his own, and the clock would have stopped.

Interesting how these obsure seldom used rules seem to be enforced on the Ticats. Last year against Sask, it was the center adjusting the ball before the snap. ?