Why did we get another kicker?

I like that we got a DB in Knowlton. I think we need the competition this year at camp. A solid defence leads to championships.

What I don't understand is picking up a kicker. Setta bombs field goals and kicks gigantic punts. He's unreal!

Either way, doesn't matter really. We only gave up the 9th pick.

Thoughts?

Insurance and competition. Also, potential trade-bait.

We need a young Canuck kicker for a back up and a future developing kicker.

Good move!

Setta said it himself he was accepted here and likes it..import kicker works for me..he is so worth it I hope to see him here a long lone time..

I guess it makes sense to have him on the roster as insurance though.

Competition.

It's good for Setta,Tchobanian and the team.

Look at the Mac Kicker on You Tube. His stats are better than this new guy and he seems to heve a lot more ability as well. You Tube ( Mcmaster Highlights)

Well thats not really true...

Attempts - Made - % - Long

Ara Tchobanian
Ottawa 21 27 77.8 50

Pauolo Faiazza
Mcmaster 13 17 76.5 40

Kickoffs - Yards - AVG

Ara Tchobanian
Ottawa 46 2560 55.65

Pauolo Faiazza
Mcmaster 38 1922 50.58

Well thats not really true...

Attempts - Made - % - Long

Ara Tchobanian
Ottawa 21 27 77.8 50

Pauolo Faiazza
Mcmaster 13 17 76.5 40

Punts - Yards - AVG

Ara Tchobanian
Ottawa 46 2560 55.65

Pauolo Faiazza
Mcmaster 38 1922 50.58

Oh snap. Home boy got ZAPPED!!!

It's not just the competition aspect. If he doesn't stick, the coaches will have gotten to watch the new guy and assess his abilities in case they ever need his services again in a pinch.

Also, as is the case with having extra QB arms to help run the assorted drills where passing in needed, having an extra leg for the various special teams drills is a good thing at camp.

Oski Wee Wee,

Sorry but Faiazza's clips shows good Football savy as well He's a far better punter...stats don't always paint the whole picture.

Having seen both kick, Tchobanian is a much better placekicker. Faiazza just doesn’t have the same leg strength.

Neither of them seem to be at a CFL level in terms of punting. Whether you think one is better than the other is irrelevant, because one averaged 35 and the other 37, hardly pro numbers.

Stats may not paint the whole picture, but they do say a lot.

Faiazza does not have the leg or the height to be a punter/kicker.He is a good soccer player.
Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7)

I definitely agree that we made the right decision to bring in a Canadian Kicker…I just think that we picked up the wrong one. Setta had a sweet year last year and if he keeps it up I see him with the NFL, especially if his contract is up soon. Why not bring someone in to train under him. Schaivone was never picked up in the draft, I think we shoulda grabbed him as a free agent. I’ve seen the kid kick, he’s def. got what it takes. Ara’s good for field goals but not punting. We need someone that can do both!

Why not bring in both? One to punt and one to do kickoffs and field goals. Obviously ideally you would like one guy to do both, and for him to be canadian, but in derek and ara, you'd have the top punter and top placekicker coming out of the cis.

The Press Release is now out and Ara is gone before training camp.

"The Ticats also announced the team has released import wide receivers Jason Armstead, Montiese Culton and Adrian Madise, as well as non-import kicker Ara Tchobanian."

The ninth pick was traded for Knowlton. According to Ken Peters in today's Spec there are no plans to bring in another kicker to compete at training camp.

It's settled, it's Setta.

Oskee wee wee

Maybe this means hes signed a contract extension?

I think it will be Setta, and Setta alone in camp.
No sense wasting a roster spot, give Setta all the kicking reps.

I think that was probably the main factor. Because no matter who they brought in, chances are, barring injury, Setta is going to be the kicker all year. So may as well use that extra training camp spot to try a guy who has a chance of playing this year and helping this year's team.

The cats let the new kicker go on Friday anyways. No harm, no foul.

Does this mean its Setta and we can forget-ta?