Why Are CFL Teams Doing This

OK,

This week end we had 4 blow outs.
That is unusual by itself. 3 of those were on teams home field turf.
That , I have never seen before.

However, 2 of those blow outs featured a decision by 2 CFL coaches I do not approve of.

Edm - Tor and Ssk - Ham.

Going for it when the game is won and out of hand. :roll:

I agree that when the score is a lop side affair, you keep playing.

However, to me that should be a punt or FG on 3rd down. Not gamble to keep the ball and continue scoring.
Just not called for. :thdn:

There is a big difference between keep playing and running up the score.

When your in the red zone you play for the TD no matter the score. You can never have enough practice doing this IMO

Actually keeping the ball or a gamble that you wont make 3rd down is the smart thing to do when well ahead and clock running down

Less chance of injury. More practice of a risky play. I don't see this an issue or "running up the score". But then I don't really have an issue of running up the score either.

If the team can't stop it what are you supposed to do? Kneel? Throw it out of bounds on purpose?

Rider Defense couldn't stop them.

In the Hamilton case, I suspect it was that Masoli and the backup offence needed the practice more that Maher an the first string field goal / punt unit.

Always keep scoring. It's more of an insult to let up cus they're doing so bad.

Besides, points differential is a tiebreaker isn't it?

In the case of two divisional teams that play each other an even number of times (2) yes it would be. Non divisional team have no tiebreaker, it doesn’t matter even with a crossover as you need to have a better record to cross over.

Which is why I could not understand Mass keeping Reilly in the game yesterday. If he gets hurt when you are up by thirty in the third there goes the whole season. It was ridiculously dangerous. The Argos were pissed at losing and if someone gets hot headed and takes an extra shot or he evens gets rolled on by one of his own guys you can lose your franchise player in a game that was over by the half . To be playing until the last minute made no sense to me

I accept that I am in the minority.

These were not division games. Total points are not an issue.

IMO, you gamble when you are trying to catch up or in the strategy of the game.

There was no catch up or strategy. FG or punt is the way to go. The game is over and won.

There are circumstances where it makes sense, maybe a case of some guys who haven't gotten a lot of experience and they need the snaps. Every time you leave starters in a blowout game you risk unnecessary injury, as we saw with Reilly a few years ago when he hurt his ankle in garbage time late in the season.

Calvillo seemingly/apparently never wanted to leave a game and his coaches, at least Trestman, agreed.

But I agree it is risky. When it is safe to do so, giving live reps to backups at all poisons is worthwhile; maybe give receivers some time with the starter and then open the floodgates.

Why the challenge on roughing the kicker when you are up by 40 points with 2 minutes left? :thdn:

Telling a pro football team not to score, in any situation, is like telling a fat man not to eat.

As stated before, its up to the defence to stop the other team regardless of score. Only issue would be keeping your starters in a game, when they don't have to be in. Too many top players in the league have been dealing with injuries. this is where a team needs to protect their players from themselves.

A team's responsability is to their fans, they pay for 60 minutes of football.

Also. In this league we've seen many tiebreakers decided at season's end based on points for and against.

Also. Players stats are used to maximise their worth at contract time.

There is no legitimate reason why a team should stop playing/trying.

Yup. If you don't like it, stop the other team from scoring. If you can't, well, tough. This is a competitive game, not a wellness group.

Total points against all teams does come into the tie-breaker, albeit quite far down. Very unlikely that it would actually come to that. So probably not worth risking the starters to get those point, but still not a bad idea if your backups can get them.

CFL TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE When two or more member Clubs are tied in the final Division standings at the conclusion of the regular season schedule, preferential ranking for playoff purposes shall be determined on the basis of the following descending-order priorities and shall be awarded to the Club that: a) has won the greater number of games played against all member Clubs of the League, then b) has the higher winning percentage in all games played against all of the other tied Club(s), then c) has scored the higher net aggregate of points (i.e. points scored for less points scored against) in all games played against all of the other tied Club(s), then d) has scored the higher net quotient of points (i.e. points scored for divided by points scored against) in all games played against all of the other tied Club(s), then e) has the higher winning percentage in all games played against all member Clubs of the Division, then f) has scored the higher net aggregate of points in games played against all member Clubs of the Division, then g) has scored the higher quotient of points in games played against all member Clubs of the Division, then [b]h) has scored the higher net aggregate of points in games played against all member Clubs of the League, then i) has scored the higher net quotient of points in games played against all member Clubs of the League, then [/b]j) has won a coin toss against the other tied Club.

Yep, this. Game reps for backup players are scarce. Don't waste them.

Well if we use that logic, there should be no further use for punters or kickers.

Just go for it all the time on 3 rd down.

Regardless of the qtr, score , time left in the half or field position.

Gamble , gamble gamble. Just use a kicker for kick - offs only.

OK, I am sold.

yea and what about giving them one more down? :?