Why 2014?

Why do we have to waite until 2014, why cant the City expediate the building of the New Ivor Wynn? It seems abit rediculous to go a season without a stadium. ?????????
Only in Hamilton???????? :oops:

Not enough time to build it, Can't do it in time. Look at Winnipegs Stadium. It took almost twice as long !

Dont Worry, Guelph will be fun :rockin:

I am calling it the Tiger-Cats Series in Guelph at Alumni Stadium :rockin:

I wonder if the Tiger-Cats could have one game, call it the Tiger-Cats Series in Buffalo at U of B :lol:

Built and opened in 6 months?

It seems abit rediculous to go a season without a stadium. ?????????
A [i]bit[/i]?

Seriously??

The demolition of the current IWS will take a couple of months in itself and even than, supplanting footings for the new stadium will take time along with separating steel and concrete for recycling of steel. I find it hard to believe that Winnipeg’s stadium was finished in 6 months, but they didn’t have to build on the site of their old stadium, did they?

I would prefer to see Hamilton take their time with this project and do something right for a change.

Was it a bit ridiculous when the Chicago Bears did it? When the BC Lions did it? When the Green Bay Packers did it? This isn’t unique and I don’t understand why people think it is.

U of G is nothing like any of those. They all had good temporary facilities. A 4,000 seat U of G stadium with temporary bleachers isn’t even close to resembeling any of those. B.C. temporary stadium looks nice than the new Pan Am stadium by surrounding the playing field. Completely encircled, providing a contained and intimate gameday experience as opposed to two grandstands with wide open ends, giving more of the same rusted views of the north

http://www.nussli.us/typo3temp/fl_realurl_image/modular-stadium-empire-field-vancouver-06.jpg

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2010/07/12/empire_stadium_big_381.jpg

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/C6/F0BA4E6D64B0FB99EF229A367E552.jpg

Well the city did manage to build the "new" north stands in one off-season (at a cost of 1.5 million if memory serves me correctly) in 1970 - 71(?). 8)

The stadium is being built for the Pan Am Games soccer and primarily funded by Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and IO are the ones that are managing the project and they are the ones that selected the final bidder, not the city of Hamilton. The city of Hamilton involvement is financing the “top up” from 15,000 seats.
If it was Hamilton that was funding this stadium and managing the construction and overseeing the project then yes maybe they could have controlled the timelines and also the design but they aren’t.

The BC Lions temporary Stadium was fully funded by the BC Government at a cost of over 14M on a site that actually had a Stadium on it previously so it was virtually shovel ready for a Stadium, zoning included. They were obligated to do so because of the lease arrangement to provide the Lions and Whitecaps a place to play while BC Place got their Billion upgrade.
The Ti Cats existing lease expired last season so the City does not need to do the same.
Since Mac would not allow the Cats to use their Facility, which is their right to do so, Guelph was the next best option.
Caretaker is fortunate that Guelph is helping him and the financial assistance from the league is a big help also.

I needed that laugh Thanks. :thup: Maybe you should give Ty Pennington, a call, just maybe he can make a show called Extreme Stadium Make Over and have it done in 6 months! :lol: :lol:

You never said anything about a nice temp stadium, just that it was ridiculous that the team would be playing somewhere else that wasn’t “their” home. They have a place to play; it might not be up to your standards, but that wasn’t the point. The point was, going a year without a stadium isn’t ridiculous and has happened before with other teams. You can try to change the argument all you want, but the point stands that other teams have gone through similar circumstances. If it is ridiculous now with the Cats, then it was just as ridiculous with the other teams.

This is a good point. If they try to rush things too fast it will only result in shoddy workmanship and mistakes being made. Let them take their time to do it right and present us with something we can all be proud of for the next few decades.

Yup, B.C. knew how to do it right, Hamilton did not.

I wonder if it would have been possible to truck in BC’s temp stadium to set up around here. I figured that it might have been except our stupid council would bicker forever about where to set it up. :slight_smile:

Considering that B.C. Is a whole province and Hamilton is just a city I think that going to Guelph is a good choice and at a decent price. :smiley:

That was my implication. Perhaps I should have been clearer.

...just that it was ridiculous that the team would be playing somewhere else that wasn't "their" home.
No, I did not say that. I was refuting the comparison to other temporary stadiums, all of which were nice, professional venues, unlike U of G's track and filed with 4,000 seat granstand.
They have a place to play; it might not be up to your standards, but that wasn't the point. The point was, going a year without a stadium isn't ridiculous and has happened before with other teams. You can try to change the argument all you want, but the point stands that other teams have gone through similar circumstances. If it is ridiculous now with the Cats, then it was just as ridiculous with the other teams.
No, that was not my point at all. U of G appears to be a last minute desperate resolution. And not my standards, but the standards of the examples you yourself provided. Is that why they got such a lucrative deal for such a crappy venue at such a late time? Not sure we'll ever know, but optics are what they are. All so needless as a result of poor decisions and inability to negotiate successfully with others.

Great, I’m glad you do. I do not. Enjoy.

Remember, our province gave extra money for the stadium in lieu of a lack of any private funds for seats above and beyond the Pan Am needs (ie for the Ti-Cats)

Guess it still wasn’t enough.

But, apparently the league and fans will help pay for the failures. I choose not to.