Who will be the First eastern winner?

With the entire week 5 schedule being East vs West.. One must wonder if the 6-0 record thus far could be 10-0 by the end of the week. I think it will be a 9-1 record with one Eastern team winning, but which one?

I could see Montreal beating Edmonton at home, and i could also see the Argo's upsetting the Lions, although that one would be a bigger shock to me. On the other hand, Edmonton has a pretty solid defense and great front 4 and Montreal has had all sorts of trouble protecting Calvillo. That could be an ugly game where the defenses outscore the offenses.

I voted "none", admittedly a bit tongue in cheek, but there is a big part of me that says it will be reality, at least after next week, maybe not the whole season :stuck_out_tongue:

Im 36 years old and remember no time when the East was better then the West... I remember when the Als folded and people were predicting Winnipeg winning multiple cups... Sure enough...4 years later and they already had 2. Unfournately, they became a true Eastern team after that...lol...
This Western superiority holds true in the NHL and the NBA as well.... What gives?

The East had a better overall record in 1998, by 1 win :smiley: They were also better overall in 1999. Hasn't been many years though since then.

I would think Toronto, but they play a darned good BC team next week, so who knows...but they are at home. It is pretty tough in the West this season...3 really good teams, and another with some good potential. The East has the Argo that I think are over some early season woes (look absolutely stunning on O, but still have concerns on D), and 3 teams with some really big question marks.

I don't feel as confident about the Argo's as you. They appear to be the least dysfunctional of the Eastern teams, but they've looked rather mediocre against both West teams they've faced so far. I still look back at the great year they had last year, and see a 9-9 team that struggled with consistency in the regular season. They look like they're struggling with that again so far.

I'm putting the mortgage on the Bombers next week. 8)
I'm not too impressed with either Alberta team, so being at home both WPG & Mont have a chance, Tor/BC is 50-50, but I just can't see Hamilton beating SasK.

Montreal, because Edmonton is just as bad as they are.

Calgary traditionally has trouble in Winnipeg. Usually due to over confidence !

Montreal. As bad as the Als have been (ugly is an understatement) Edmonton has been worse and this past weekend took undisciplined to new heights.

Winnipeg has looked OK so far but they've played weaker teams (Als twice, Hamilton and Argos). Calgary got a big wake up call Saturday and should beat the Bombers.

Hamilton beating the Riders? The Argos win at home against a good team? When pigs fly.

Who cares who wins the east vs west battle during the season. The Lions, Eskies, and Stamps will always have a home field advantage when east teams travel there from the time zone change, Riders less so being more centrally located. I would be curious to see how the east vs west matchups break down wrt to games played in the west and east and whether there is a difference if east teams play an afternoon tilt versus evening tilt in the west. But that aside the east has had a couple of weaker teams over the last few years.

In the end the only east vs west game that matters is the Grey Cup. After a run of west dominance in the early 2000s, the east has taken it 3 out of the last 4 years.

Who will be the first eastern winner......hmmmmmmmmm......Okay ! i've decided my vote goes to the...........................
REDBLACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh !!!! Okay nevermind...........I vote none of the above!!! :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: (one thumb fer each team)

although I believe edmonton to be the better team, I have a feeling Montreal wins this weeks game.

After what calgary did last week, they might suffer an emotional letdown and WPG could very well pull of the weeks biggest upset.

Be very surprised if ham or tor win, but then, those stupid back to backs have a way of screwing things up